another SCR question.............

flasher
flasher Posts: 1,734
edited September 2008 in Road beginners
Howdy folks, just joined the SCR 1.5 ranks thanks to the Edinburgh sale 8)

I've just noticed that the headset on mine is considerably higher than on all the stock pictures of the 1.5, mine has 4 spacers below the stem (totaling about an inch). I assume they photograph them like this to make them look more aggresive/sporty.

Now being an inquisitive sort of person I decided to take a closer look, I took the top cap off then the stem and 4 spacers, dropped the stem back on and tightened it. I quite like the lower position, and thought I may like to make it permanent, so the question is what the heck do you do with the inch or so of the steerer now sticking out of the top of the stem :?:

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Cut the steerer down or put the spacers on top of the stem.

The place you bought the bike from should cut the steerer down for you free of charge as it should part of the initial setting up if the customer wants lower bars.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    You can just leave the spacers above the stem until you are absolutely sure you want it cut down. Or maybe you want to leave one or more below the stem.
  • flasher
    Blimey guys that was quick, thanks for the assist :D
    The place you bought the bike from should cut the steerer down for you free of charge as it should part of the initial setting up if the customer wants lower bars.

Ah the price you pay for getting a crazy cheap bike, I'm 300 hundred miles away!
  • Don't worry about it unless your forehead or chin is making contact :wink:
  • flasher
    Not that I'm planing to yet, but If I do cut the steerer will I need a new star washer or can i tap it further down the tube ?
  • Steve I
    Steve I Posts: 428
    Just tap it further down the tube. Decide how much you want to remove from the steerer, then knock the star washer down by the same amount before cutting. Remember: measure twice, cut once. TBH I think having the washers on top looks cool, and allows you the option of going back if you change your mind for some reason. I quite like the high bar position on my SCR 1.5. It doesn't affect my speed one bit, but makes the drops far more useable.
  • Steve I
    Steve I Posts: 428
    Grrrrrr , just noticed the price from Edinburgh. I paid £550 for mine from Wiggle.
  • flasher
    Thanks for that Steve :D