Worcestershire 95 mile sportive

worcswhite
worcswhite Posts: 11
Anyone planning on riding "Ride the route 2008" in Worcestershire on Sept 14th.95 miles over last years stage 4 of the tour of britain plus a bit they wouldn't tackle.17% Ankerdine hill!!!!! Only rode 20 mile tother night and half way up Ankerdine had to hop/fall of!!! -Gutted,never had to do the unthinkable and walk up a hill,but that hill is a blinder 17% for a good mile.
anyone else strugggled on this killer hill!!. :oops:

Comments

• BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    Yes, I've raced up it a few times - my club's mountain TT goes up it every year. Have a look here: http://www.beaconrcc.org.uk/open_races/lmtt/index.html May be worth coming out to watch the suffering on it next year if you're fairly local - 26th April 2009 is the provisional date. The record for climbing Ankerdine as part of the 39mile TT is 3min 12sec, achieved by Stuart Dangerfield in 2000.

Ruth
  • Me on my own then!!
  • aracer
    aracer Posts: 1,649
    BeaconRuth wrote:
    The record for climbing Ankerdine as part of the 39mile TT is 3min 12sec, achieved by Stuart Dangerfield in 2000.
    Pah - Steve Price did it in 3:07 on Tuesday in our club hill climb (I only managed a rather weak 3:55!)

Not sure if I should mention this, but Ankerdine is far from the hardest climb on that event - that's one of the bits they did tackle on the ToB! There are a pair of climbs towards the end heading up towards Bewdley which are 25% and 20% - I often ride Ankerdine on my 34/23 as part of a normal training ride, but will be putting a 25 on for those beasts (as I did when we rode them at the end of the Wyre Forest Stinger). That's not to mention Wynniatts Way, which some seem to think is even harder - I've not ever ridden it, but may head out that way tomorrow to give it a go if we ever get a gap in this weather.

Oh, and yes I plan on riding the event next weekend.
  • I'm from Worcester ,so what part of the course is wyniattes way!!
  • worcswhite wrote:
    I'm from Worcester ,so what part of the course is wyniattes way!!

thru Great Witley, up the main road to Tenbury, bear right at the top for Abberley, follow the lane along to the village itself, bear right by the Manor Arms, along the lane then right then suffer!!! Will bring you back out on the main road, just before wher you bear right to turn in Abberley, you'll see it when you go up teh bank first time!
    i'll ride anything, but I prefer carbon.......... she screamed!!

www.sportivecentral.com
  • pprince
    pprince Posts: 141
    worcswhite wrote:

thru Great Witley, up the main road to Tenbury, bear right at the top for Abberley, follow the lane along to the village itself, bear right by the Manor Arms, along the lane then right then suffer!!! Will bring you back out on the main road, just before wher you bear right to turn in Abberley, you'll see it when you go up teh bank first time!

Mark, do you think its the hardest in Worcs? I do

The Old Wyche @ Malvern would be 2nd hardest. It is steeper but much shorter and then only steepest the last few yards
  • pprince wrote:
    worcswhite wrote:

The Old Wyche @ Malvern would be 2nd hardest. It is steeper but much shorter and then only steepest the last few yards
    In a word yes, savage, will be a god place to go and watch on Sunday actually! :twisted:

www.sportivecentral.com
  • pprince wrote:
    worcswhite wrote:

In a word yes, savage, will be a god place to go and watch on Sunday actually! :twisted:

No I won't, its been cancelled, hq flooded, put back til the 19 Oct!

www.sportivecentral.com
  • aracer
    No I won't, its been cancelled, hq flooded, put back til the 19 Oct!
    Shame it doesn't actually mention that on the website - seems the publicity for this change is going to be just as good as the original publicity for the event :roll: Not even sure why they have to cancel the event - the building they were going to use to sign on might be in the middle of a lake, but the chances are it won't be by next weekend, and in any case, why can't we still go out and ride, as none of the route is flooded?

Anyway, back to Wynniattes way - went and rode it yesterday, and not convinced it's harder than the Noah’s Ark Hill 25% climb you get next on the ride, or Old Wyche Road. Was on my normal 34/23, and not desperately struggling (less than I remember struggling on 34/25 going up Noah’s Ark Hill in the Wyre Forest Stinger when I was fitter). I suppose it depends how you define harder, as it does go on a little longer, but you can hardly say the OWR is much shorter when that goes up ~50m on the steep bit, whilst WW only goes up 70m on its sustained steep section.
  • pprince
    Noahs Ark would be harder if you had the rest of the Stinger beforehand in your legs! :lol:

..and 34/23 ain't no normal gear - thats for girls

if you can't get up everything on 39x25, give up IMO :wink:
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,712
    As it's been put back, I don't think I'm busy that weekend. Does anyone know if I'll be able to turn up and pay on the day, or is pre-entry necessary?
  • pprince wrote:
    Noahs Ark would be harder if you had the rest of the Stinger beforehand in your legs! :lol:

..and 34/23 ain't no normal gear - thats for girls

Behave!

www.sportivecentral.com
  • whyamihere wrote:
    As it's been put back, I don't think I'm busy that weekend. Does anyone know if I'll be able to turn up and pay on the day, or is pre-entry necessary?
    apparently still now happening on Sunday! just leaving from under the arches at Pitchcroft. Lovely.

www.sportivecentral.com
  • pprince
    whyamihere wrote:
    apparently still now happening on Sunday! just leaving from under the arches at Pitchcroft. Lovely.

Marks wrong, it is postponed until Oct 19th
  • pprince wrote:
    thats the ToB stage on Wed you muppet!
    :oops: Its as my previous post then! Excuse my senior moment! :oops:

www.sportivecentral.com
  • How do organisers manage to keep their events so secret???!!! Have you seen the "list" (aka handful) of riders doing the ride?
    http://www.ridetheroute.net/entrants.html
    If they want peeps to do these rides, they should jolly well use all means to to inform us.
    eg. i did the "ride the route" last year. Given that they must have my email address, how come they didn't do a mass email and let me and other know about it? The event was massively undersubscribed last year - but otherwise fantastically well orgainsed . Seems it will be the same again this year. I might do it again if my back (after recent crash) improves. Does anyone know how optional the stated "optional killer hill" actually is?
    2 minute grovels can sometimes be a lot longer..tho' shorter on a lighter bike :-)

Ride the Route Ankerdine Hill 2008

http://peterboroughbigband.webplus.net/index.html
  • aracer
    pprince wrote:
    Yeah, but I had done 40 miles with over 1000m of climb when I got to Abberley (had followed the event route from Martley).
    Remind me again what gear you need to "grind up up it out of the saddle in" :twisted:

Anybody up for an (unsupported) ride on Sunday anyway?

John - the killer option is very optional - you simply turn right rather than left at the T just before it and do the same distance without the extra climb. Unfortunately as you can see from my comments here, I'd suggest the next non-optional climb is actually harder (though short enough not to be too desperate, or embarrassing if you have to walk). Apparently the list isn't very up to date so I've been told, but I have to wonder if the flood isn't just an excuse given the low entry in the hope they might get a few more with extra notice.
  • pprince
    aracer wrote:

I'd have definitely like to have taken the Pepsi challenge on Sunday but I'm in France riding the Picardie Sportive on Saturday :cry: then I'm into Cross then

Could do a Sat sometime
  • pprince
    How do organisers manage to keep their events so secret???!!!

did seem a bit late in the day to organise it
    my sportive has opened for entries 6 months in advance :wink:

(The Mad March Hare Sportive, Sunday March 1st, apols for the shameless plug :oops: )
  • pprince wrote:
    aracer wrote:

I'd have definitely like to have taken the Pepsi challenge on Sunday but I'm in France riding the Picardie Sportive on Saturday :cry: then I'm into Cross then

Could do a Sat sometime

Light weight, get out on a course that offers proper climbs, in real weather!!!.... i'll take your place in the Picardie! :twisted:

www.sportivecentral.com
  • WARNING TO AL:L POTENTIAL NEW RIDERS TO THIS EVENT!!!!
    I was booking on to the ride this evening and got as far as the payment section. Saw the "Thwarte" security badge as I was putting in my bendycard details.... then i noticed that the URL was http and not https. I then clicked on the "Thwarte" badge and this is what was returned:

[ invalid certificate ]

Authentic Sites use thawte SSL Certificates to offer secure communications by encrypting all data to and from the site. thawte has checked and verified the company registration documents and the site's registered domain name.

This information is included in the SSL certificate that we issue. This enables you to check the site's validity yourself. Always check a site's certificate before entering any sensitive information. Below are the details for certificate: SECPay Limited

[ organization ] SECPay Limited
    [ domain ] www.secpay.com
    [ country ] Great Britain
    [ current status ] Expired
    [ valid from ] 2005.06.06
    [ valid until ] 2007.07.05

I have emailed the "contact us" page to let them know of this disasterous lapse but have scuppered my chances of getting on the ride for £25, so I am not a happy bear. :x If you have recently booked onto the ride using either credit card or debit card, it might be an idea to watch you account very very carefully.
    2 minute grovels can sometimes be a lot longer..tho' shorter on a lighter bike :-)

• [ but have scuppered my chances of getting on the ride for £25, so I am not a happy bear. :x

Ride is posthponed til the 19 Oct, you should be able to book on later for £25, provided they sotrt out there issues.

www.sportivecentral.com
  • Well full marks to the organisers for acting swiftly and sending me this reply...

Hi John,

Thank you for your information which we have passed to Everyday Cycling the host of the payment system.

They replied immediately and I enclose their information to confirm the site is safe.

Please feel secure to enter the event now and you can also pass on the information on the forums as we will do as well.

Thank you again and please contact us to confirm all is well with your entry.

Regards

Graham Temple

Wheels in Wheels CC

Hi both,

I would like to put your mind at rest and confirm that the Everyday Cycling Online Entry System is fully secure using financial online security provided by Secpay.

The site security level which is being displayed to is that of the event organisers website NOT of the entry system. By virtue of the fact that the system is embedded within an organisers website means that the security certificate of the top level i-frame will be displayed in the browser (the website) rather than the security certificate of the embedded online entry system. If you go to the properties of the payment page you will find the site is on a https server (please find screenshot attached)

Secpay have also confirmed that their certificate is valid. They have recently replaced the standard form used for the payment screen with a new template so therefore the Thawte Logo still links to the old certificate. I have requested for our system to be updated with the new template including the updated link to avoid confusion.

I hope this helps to put your mind at rest, if you would like any further verification regarding this please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kind regards,

Verena

I have now booked my place but am still unhappy at not seeing the https bit in the url. Maybe I'm just being a luddite but that's always been my pointer that the site is safe. Who would normally go clicking "certificates" and then go to the properties to see if it linked to an https site?

• Anyone know wether the entrants list is up to date as doesn't seem to have altered over the last few weeks.
    P.S. rode the killer option tother day, after riding the wyche,ankerdine and stanford.think i might miss the option out on the day.
  • pprince
    I have now booked my place but am still unhappy at not seeing the https bit in the url. Maybe I'm just being a luddite but that's always been my pointer that the site is safe. Who would normally go clicking "certificates" and then go to the properties to see if it linked to an https site?

they're absolutely correct in what they say
    you don't need a https:// url if the payment gateway is embedded in the website

for comfort, I personally would encrypt the rest of the page but thats up to the organiser