triple or compact

andy610
andy610 Posts: 602
edited September 2008 in Road beginners
i now use a triple chainset 8 speed 52/42/30 and smallest cog on back wheel is 12 teeth largest 25 teeth, if i was to change it for a hollowtech would it make much difference or should i stick with the triple, also what rear cassette will i need in order to get the 30 front and 25 back the same, as i sometimes use this for big hills.

Comments

• alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Hollowtech chainsets come in double, compact and triple. A compact would probably have a small ring of 34 rather than 30. You could change the cassette to a 12-27 to get nearer to your current lowest gear of 30/25 but that is more expense. If the chainset is fine and you need the lowest gears for hills I would stay as you are, there is only a small weight benefit from losing the inner ring, not worth it.

You can use Sheldon Brown's gear calculator to see the difference between various setups.

I have a Shimano Ultegra Hollowtech II triple chainset on my Audax bike, and a 12-27 cassette, I need the low gears!
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,632
    Andy,
    Why do you want to change?
    Rich
  • andy610
    andy610 Posts: 602
    i like the look of the hollowtech and also wondered why so many have compact now is this just cos of the weight
  • Probably a lot to do with snobbery as well.......probably...........maybe :roll:
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    A 34-28 will give you pretty much the same gearing as a 30-25. So will a 33-27. A 33
    tooth chain ring will fit on a compact crank.

Dennis Noward