Minimum wheel widths on standard MTB rims?

SithBunny
SithBunny Posts: 6
edited September 2008 in MTB beginners
Is there any limit to what tyres widths can fit onto MTB rims? Currently I use a 2007 Giant Boulder and some old 26x1.95 semi-slicks for commuting (25miles round trip) on the bike's orginal rims(approx 26mm).

I'm tending to use the roads more than the cyclepaths and would like to get narrower tyres possibly a set of ultragatorskins which are available in a range of sizes from 26X1.0 to 26x2.1. Do all these fit on the same rim size?

Any help in the area would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Internal width is the key. And the rim amaker usually has a guide. But you'll be fine with 2.1.
  • Thanks but what I really wanted to know is whether or not I can use the 26x1.0 wheels and if not what's the next size up. Do rim makers put this information on the rims at all?
  • supersonic
    Some do, some dont unfortunately.

have a read of this:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html

And specifically the chart near the bottom which compares tyres to rinternal rim widths.
  • Once again thanks. SBs page look the business :)
  • supersonic
    Sheldon Brown is a god! Sadly passed away earlier this year, a biking hero to many of us mechanics. I have learnt so much from his pages, and still am! Bookmark it ;-)
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    I've just had the same dilemer (sp?). I've just converted and old MTB to a commuter and it has rims with an external width of 26mm ish. I want some Spesh Fatboys at 1.25 but after much discussion int he shop with felt it was unlikely they'd stay on so I went for some Spesh Nimbus tyres at 1.5 which fit Ok so I'd say you'd be OK with those (they replaced some fairly new Spesh 1.95 Armadillo Hemispheres, the Nimbus tyres are much lighter and seem to have a lot less rolling resistance.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • S_J_P
    S_J_P Posts: 908
    I read somewhere (may have even been SB!) that 1.5x to 3x is the comfort zone for tyres on newer rims (J-Lock bead locks IIRC)

Therefore:

17mm rim is good for 1"-2"tyre
    19mm rim is good for 1.125"-2.25" tyres
    21mm rim is good for 1.25"-2.5" tyres
    23mm rim is good for for 1.35"-2.7" tyres