Upgrade or replace - advice needed

biffopristinus
biffopristinus Posts: 13
edited September 2008 in Road beginners
Hello all, I'm new to the forum and just getting back into cycling after a considerable lay-off. As a fairly active 65 year old I've taken up cycling as a means of controlling my weight and getting some healthy exercise. I have a somewhat ancient Dawes Galaxy Tourer, puchased in the late 70s, and have been using this on 35km rides recently (I live in France) and have thoroughly enjoyed the experience. The bike is reasonably comfortable although a bit on the heavy side (14.1kg). I have upgraded to clipless pedals and have found these much better than the old ones. However, I find the Suntour Cyclone derailleur gears with its down tube mounted levers rather unresponsive and fiddly in changing gear.

My question is, should I upgrade the derailleurs, chainset and brake levers, including probably a new rear wheel as the freewheel is a screw-on rather than modern spline type. Or, should I go for a modern road bike, say a Bianchi C2C 928 Carbon Veloce. Would I find the new bike less comfortable than the old one or would this be offset by the increased enjoyment of riding a lighter and quicker bike :?:

Thanks in antcipation

Roger

Comments

• alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    That's a tough one. I would say that unless you wanted to do loaded touring you will probably be happier on a new bike. The upgrades could cost quite a bit and maybe the bike would be better to sell as it is. Steel bikes are very comfy however, and the touring bike geometry is more "relaxed". What about a half-way house and get a steel audax bike? They will have a modern drive train and shifters like a regular road bike, will be lighter than the Dawes (but heavier than a carbon road bike), have similar geometry, will take mudguards, and are capable of light touring with a rack.

Thorn, Roberts and Hewitt, amongst others make steel Audax bikes, or there is the Dawes Audax Supreme. I have an older Dawes Audax (1997 vintage made from Reynolds 531 tubing, but fitted with 2005 Ultegra drivetrain and older Shimano STI shifters) and it is so comfy. I think comfort would be my primary concern, a lightweight bike that is harsher may make you quicker but you may not want to do the mileage, though I am not saying all road bikes are harsh.

That said, it is probably best to go to some shops and try out some road bikes and see if you like the style.
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    When we get to our age cycling is meant to be fun but we need to make it as easy as possible. Being in France you are half way there already. Your Dawes is an old bike and things have moved on a lot since then. It would cost quite a lot to bring the gears etc up to modern standards and it would still weigh a lot.
    You do not mention budget but do seem keen on something with a bit more zip. I would look at some of the bikes marketed as 'Sportive' models with a slightly longer head tube. I am using a 2008 Trek Madone 5.2 with the Performance fit frame. It has the same handling as the Pro but the bars are 30mm higher. It smooths out the rough roads superbly but still just goes when you stamp on the pedals. I use it for rides up to 200 K and also for a bit of racing. It is better than me at both.
    The Bianchi looks to be very similar and could be just what you are looking for. Do try to get a test ride if you can both for fit and ride quality.
    Get the best you can afford. We deserve it after years of work and I get a buzz out of my Trek every time this bloody awful weather lets me get out on it.
  • Thanks Alfablue and John.T, I'll follow-up on the suggestions. I should have made it clear that I'm not interested in touring these days, it's more a case of 2-4 hr day rides to get out and about and keep myself in shape. My budget is about £1700 max, er ... that is unless I am really tempted.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    A titanium bike is within your budget, what about a Van Nicholas, Sunday or Enigma?
  • John.T
    Definately a new bike then.
  • Nice to know somebody else still has a prehistoric bike!
    I ride a custom built Harry Hall tourer, bought in 1985! It's looking a little bit tired now so I'm looking to buy a new bike. I don't go in for the long tours anymore, just day rides and possibly looking to try sportives and audax rides. Would a medium tourer such as a Claud Butler Regent be better than a road bike such as a CB San Remo?
    Personally I think the Regent would suit me, after a 25 years of touring the "feel" of a tourer is ingrained. Any thoughts would be really apprecieated. Thanks.
    Here's a box,a musical box. Wound up and ready to play.
    (brian Cant,Camberwick Green).
  • John.T
    Try a few bikes. It is the only way you will know what you would prefer. Any advice given on here to that sort of query is only going to be the posters preference and may well not match yours. Personally I do not tour and much prefer the handling and ride of a 'road' bike. I find a tourer to be sluggish and dull to ride but that is just me.
  • biffopristinus
    biffopristinus Posts: 13
    edited September 2008
    Thanks for your comments, I'm persuaded that I should get a new bike and that it would significantly enhance the cycling enjoyment over my trusty Dawes Galaxy. The difficulty is going to be trying before buying. Local bike shops in my part of France are surprisingly few on the ground, the one in my small town has very little stock and also deals in motor scooters. The next nearest is about 20 miles away which would mean taking the bike in by car for any after sales adjustments. Demos also are not all that easy to arrange. This leaves buying online which is fine with a reputable firm but does complicate the after sales service. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining, I chose to live in this part of the world and these are minor disadvantages compared to the quality of life out here. I shall certainly look into the mail order option but I have a feeling that ordering from a LBS will be what I will finally go for.
  • If you have that much to spend, I'd geet a new bike if you're not sentimentally attached to the old one. :D
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    I'll be a bit more controversial and suggest that if your Galaxy fits you well and you've been used to it over the years, why change? Sure, get the frame checked for any corrosion or any other ills, but if there's no problem there, change the wheels and gear stuff, possibly groupset; maybe a new saddle and off you go.

I don't think the weight will make a substantial difference over a 2-4 hour fairly relaxed ride and you may just feel substantially more relaxed and therefore comfortable without the flashy look of a new rorty sporty looking racer.

Rest assured, the engine will be the same!!

Good luck with your decision making.

Peter
  • You're in a happy position Biffo!
    You could get a lot of bike for your budget. By all means look around and try what you find. And if you dont fall in love with anything you can certainly afford to have your existing bike brought up to date.

I'm currently considering treating myself to a Thorn Audax. (Frame only for me I'm afraid) They do offer a refund after a 14 day trial if not delighted. Something to think about perhaps, if carriage charges are tolerable?

http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/