Bad legs...help :)

xgriffin
xgriffin Posts: 24
edited September 2008 in Road beginners
Well.. im nearing the end of my first week of commuting on my new road bike.

only about 15 miles per day. However i find my legs seem VERY achey this week, i have been cycling this distance during the last week of my holidays.
But it seems to ache alot more when commuting, i am guesing because i am tired at the end of the day and then i cycle?

I was just wondering if anyone had any advice to how i can stop these aches?
It certainly makes the following day a little harder and now the aches are pretty constant..
For example now im sitting on the computer and my legs ache whenever i tense them/climb some stairs, walk fast or run.
This is certainly not ideal since i play football and rugby...

I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas, something i could do when i get home?
an ice bath maybe?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as im completely stuck on what to do

Thanks
James

Comments

• neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,471
    If you have just started commuting and are doing a lot more mileage than you were doing before (even if you started in the last week of your holiday) it will just be your cycle-specific muscles adjusting to the unaccustomed exertion! The aching is good in a way, your body will respond by building muscle / new capillaries etc. But don't overdo it - if your legs are constantly aching then you need to take regular days off to allow the recovery / adaptation process to occur. Eventually (and especially if you also do some longer rides other than commuting) you will find that you can do the commute every day without aching. You could also try some gentle stretches immediately after cycling.
  • Thanks.. i would usually cycle tomorrow about 25 - 30 miles and i think i might give that a miss to give my legs time to recover for football on sunday and then rugby on monday..

Thanks.. so im assuming after a month or so of going through the ache as such I should be fine ? :)

Still there must be something that can be done after, hot bath? ice bath?
    anything?

Thanks
    James
  • You just need to get used to it, I was the same when I started.
  • jjojjas
    jjojjas Posts: 346
    yup, same here.
    I find stretching post-commute helps ...not loads, just a minute or so. Also don't underestimate the resting. If I commute all week then add in the additional 20mile run one night then go MTB on the weekend I'm knackered. Even one day missed makes it notably easier. You get used to it though. Just don't wear your self out when you start or you'll get sick of it.
    it looks a bit steep to me.....