1st ever ride on a road bike tonight!!!! Awesome!

Bengdogg
Bengdogg Posts: 383
edited September 2008 in Road beginners
Wow! Fetched My Specialized allez sport with a double tonight and quickly got it set up for a blast, now i have never ridden a road bike before but have clocked thousands of mtb road and off road miles so that cool. The 1st ten mins i felt a bit wobbly and unsure of balance and the drops arnt the most stable feeling things in the world but 1st impressions are as follows....

Wow! The speed stiffness and handling of the bike are superb and overall everything is fairly comfy and pleasant, in fact surprisingly so. I was a bit gutted when i got home cos i forgot to start my gps tracker for the ride and got home and it said nothing :( also already pout some small scratches on the hoods for where i rested it up a wall and had it upside down as when i got home a couple of spokes had rattled a little loose and the wheels needed a quick tighten/truing. but yeah very happy with the bike smooth and slick shifting and everything, although i am not a proper roadie as i still wore baggies and took my camel bak! Hope to get a dry hour tomorrow so i can redo the route and gps it as down one hill i pretty much peddled the bike out, i have done 45mph on a mtb before with a 44/11setup and my legs going like a helicopter on the road and 42mph off road but this was way faster.
You just gotta peddle

Comments

• Oh yeah for you weeines a 58 frame wieghed in at 10kg (22lbs) on the nose with my xtr mtb pedals on so 8 lbs lighter than my full suss and 3 lbs lighter than my single speed hardtail. really felt light!
    You just gotta peddle
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,712
    Now you can get yourself over the climbs on the Chase properly instead of struggling like I see most MTBers doing...

Which bike did you buy by the way? And which was this really fast hill? ;)
  • I bought the 09 specialized allez sport with a double up the front from mammoth, the fast hill was on the road from marquis drive down into pye green??? hednesford area yknow with the railway bridge on the left.
    You just gotta peddle
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,712
    Ah yes, I know it well. Lovely hill when going down it, not so nice the other way. :D
  • Nice one! I'm jealous - I love the look of the 09 allez range, the curved frame looks awesome. I'm looking at buying a road bike, and am sorely tempted by an 09 model instead of the sensible option of an 08 model at a reduced price!
    Boardman Road Comp '08
    Spesh FSR XC Expert '08
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    Yep, they just don't know what they are missing.

Roadies are so much faster 8)
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • Nice one! I'm jealous - I love the look of the 09 allez range, the curved frame looks awesome. I'm looking at buying a road bike, and am sorely tempted by an 09 model instead of the sensible option of an 08 model at a reduced price!

Got mine for £550 from mammoth with 10% voucher for goodies which i had as track pump, front and rear led lights and a couple of tubes

and yes the curved frame is gorgeous
    You just gotta peddle
  • Bengdogg wrote:
    Oh yeah for you weeines a 58 frame wieghed in at 10kg (22lbs) on the nose with my xtr mtb pedals on so 8 lbs lighter than my full suss and 3 lbs lighter than my single speed hardtail. really felt light!

Fast innit??? :D:D
    'How can an opinion be bullsh1t?' High Fidelity
  • hell yeah! just a shame the weather is so pants tonight, i bought some raceblade type fenders for it today but there is no way im going out in this crap weather tonight, took the bike back to mammoth just to check the spokes quickly and they will be fine till i drop it in for the 1st service. Good service from mammoth all round, its good to have a few good bike shops at my disposal, i use both the swinno's and now mammoth along with crc and wiggle what more could a man ask for???
    You just gotta peddle
  • [quote="whyamihere"

Which bike did you buy by the way? And which was this really fast hill? ;)[/quote]

Ooops ive been accidently lieing, i bought a Allez Int'l Double my mistake the sport is the model up.
    You just gotta peddle