What do you want from a road-bike holiday?

stevomcd
stevomcd Posts: 37
edited November 2008 in Tour & expedition
I run a mountain-bike holiday company based in Sainte Foy in the French Alps (http://www.whiteroomchalet.com)

We're thinking about running 1 or 2 road-riding weeks next June. Our location puts us in prime road col territory - Col de l'Iseran, Col de Petit Saint Bernard and Cormet de Roseland are all on our doorstep. Thought it would be cool to run a trip in mid June, aimed to be immediately after the snow is cleared off the top of the cols, sort of a "be first to ride the roof of the Alps" type thing.

Not being a roadie, I'm looking for some ideas on what people would want from a fully-supported road-biking trip. We offer fully-catered holidays, with beer/wine thrown in anyway. Best to aim food at the healthy/high-carb end of things rather than stodgy puddings? What about van support? We do uplift for mountain bikers but that's obviously of little interest to roadies! Was thinking about stocking the van with food, water, spares, etc. and meeting people at strategic points on their ride. Could also offer pickups/drop-offs for point to point rides.

Any thoughts?
Mountain bike holidays in the French Alps - www.whiteroomchalet.com

Comments

• I made a blog post out of my answer. :idea:
  • All good ideas. Especially van support which is such a luxury).

On a slightly fluffy note, I like to know that the col I am riding was the scene for famous Tour episode and what the outcome was that day. Otherwise, it's just a big steep hill.
    "There are holes in the sky,
    Where the rain gets in.
    But they're ever so small
    That's why rain is thin. " Spike Milligan
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    For me, the perfect supported road trip would be:

1. Meet me at the airport/station/bike bus drop (Geneva would be good), help me build up my bike, fill my bidons, take all my extra luggage away in the van and leave me with some similar pace companions and a map (or better still, a guide) to lead me out of the city towards the shiny peaks.

2. Meet us at our accommodation with bath, beer and a good meal. Have lots of those coffee table books with sumptuous pictures of the grands cols, elevation charts etc.. Engage the services of a masseur(se).

3. Each day, point me at the grands cols and let me at 'em. If there is no obvious circuit, pick me up at the other end.

4. Give me a mobile phone number that I can call if I need to be rescued.

5. Ride ahead and take loads of photos of me as I'm doing the really spectacular stuff.

6. Take me back to the airport/station/bike bus terminal.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• Thanks Guys, that's some really useful feedback!

Hadn't thought of transporting people's gear from the airport and letting them do their own transfer by bike, interesting thought!

A lot of the other ideas pretty much tie up with what we already do for mountain bikers so looks like it all crosses over quite well.

Watch the website if you're interested in a trip next June!

I've had the road atlas out... I reckon just about any of the famous climbs in the French Alps are doable from where we are!
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    stevomcd wrote:
    Thanks Guys, that's some really useful feedback!

Hadn't thought of transporting people's gear from the airport and letting them do their own transfer by bike, interesting thought!

It's a good warm-up ride for you and the bike and gets you used to riding on the continent. There is supposed to be a cycle path from the airport to Annemasse, but I got lost!

Mind you, you're a long way from Geneva on a road bike!! Personally, I'd need an overnight stop in Le Grand Bornand.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• Gadge
    Gadge Posts: 135
    Took a lok at the site - Interesting, have bookmarked it for Summer 2009.
    Will take another look later in the year

Like your idea of overnight Fri train instead of the plane. Sounds fun.

Gadge
  • Having road biked twice (one fix based and one moving on) in the Alps I would add (to the good points already made):

1) A B+B option as well as half board as a lot of the fun is getting to local restaurants at night.
    2) Sourcing good quality road bikes to rent for those who prefer not to take their own bikes (and it seems to be getting increasingly expensive and hassly to fly with bikes).

One other point, this year on our tour in mid June, Galibier and Iseran were both closed which led to lots of disappointment (not to mention hectic rescheduling of pre-booked accom) so maybe think about running your road holiday late rather than early June to be safe.

Good luck and I'll keep an eye on your site in case we return to the Alps in 2010 (09 is the Pyrenees).
  • Hi guys,
    Very interested in comments from pneumatic there. Bonkersfrog ran activity holidays in Mid France for the first time this year, mostly off road, but starting on road holidays from next year, and the sort of support that pneumatic wants (sans the masseuse) is exactly what we offer.

Good to know that you hardened bikers still want the pampering too!! :wink:

Cris and Andy
    bonkersfrog.co.uk
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    I’ve done a holiday like this in the Pyrenees, partly moving on each day, partly staying at a base, and I know people who did a similar one in the Alps. In both our cases the main dissatisfaction seemed to be with the accompanying vehicle, which I think essential to such an arrangement.

On several occasions, it wasn’t at the pre-arranged points in advance of the riders (appearing sometimes up to an hour later), it didn’t always have a selection of food or drink to suit most riders (you can only eat so many salami rolls even if that’s all that is offered), it never offered warm drinks or soup when the weather was cold, it refused to carry riders’ extra clothing for cold or rainy weather, it could only accommodate one rider who felt he’d had enough (even though there might have been three at their limit), the driver regularly had the attitude he was putting himself out for us fools, not providing a service.

Of other ideas, I think providing good maps (1: 50,000 or better) with recommended routes marked on them a great idea (what I’ve experienced at Italian bike hotels) and I like the idea (mentioned by pneumatic) of being provided with a mobile phone using local tariffs in case of an emergency.
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    edited October 2008
    OK this is probably very much a minority view, but what about a biking version of the Chemins du Baroque tours? You have a fabulous heritage on your doorstep.
  • jetsonx
    jetsonx Posts: 84
    Glad to see you are doing some research instead of learning the hardway!

One tip, buy quality equipement and have it well serviced - always in tip-top condition.
    You wlll frustrate your customers if you buy cheap equipment that is difficult to use or keeps on breaking down.
    "Knowing and not doing are equal to not knowing at all."
    - Unknown
  • zonc
    zonc Posts: 37
    I really like your site. The ideas/facts/happenings/services are pretty much already there. Well done. Take on board everything that has been put down/advised but also remember that customers need to be regarded as individuals and each has their own needs. Always make sure you have opportunities to 'suprise and delight' your customers. I know this may sound corny but it certainly works.
    I am a wilderness and wildlife guide, so deal with clients on a daily basis and find that the best way is to treat every one as a king or queen......if you can do that then you will have returnees by the shed load! if you need further info pm me.

Zonc
  • pneumatic wrote:
    For me, the perfect supported road trip would be:

1. Meet me at the airport/station/bike bus drop (Geneva would be good), help me build up my bike, fill my bidons, take all my extra luggage away in the van and leave me with some similar pace companions and a map (or better still, a guide) to lead me out of the city towards the shiny peaks.

2. Meet us at our accommodation with bath, beer and a good meal. Have lots of those coffee table books with sumptuous pictures of the grands cols, elevation charts etc.. Engage the services of a masseur(se).

3. Each day, point me at the grands cols and let me at 'em. If there is no obvious circuit, pick me up at the other end.

4. Give me a mobile phone number that I can call if I need to be rescued.

5. Ride ahead and take loads of photos of me as I'm doing the really spectacular stuff.

6. Take me back to the airport/station/bike bus terminal.

Yeah We can do most of that! Except that we don't have a masseur. However we can offer fantastic food, rides and a guide. We are also going to be offering carbon bikes for hire this year! (TBC same as Silence Lotto 2009 squad!)
    My playground is the Alps, come and join me!
    http://www.ifhannibalhad.com
  • Thanks so much for all the feedback! We've put something together on our site for anyone who's interested: www.whiteroomchalet.com/roadweeks.htm

Also, with the route for Le Tour just announced, looks like we're getting TWO stages right on our doorstep! Bourg Saint Maurice is going to be both a stage finish and start, looks like the Petit Saint Bernard and the Cormet de Roseland are both going to be used this year.
  • zonc
    zonc Posts: 37
    looks fantastic!!!!

best of luck....

Zonc