any good trails in derbyshire area

darkgalaxy
darkgalaxy Posts: 12
edited November 2008 in MTB beginners
hi

Ive just started mtbing again after 7 years and just bought myself a felt q620 real nice bike for money and looking for advice on some good trails and places to ride in and around the derbyshire area dont know of any myself cos i used to always ridebmx tracks but now want to try some trails ive heard they are a lot more fun any suggestions.

Comments

• Get yourself up to Ladybower, there are plenty of natural trails around there. Some of the best riding in the country, right on your door step!
    If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room!
  • cheers for the advice ill check it out this weekend cheers.
  • ratty2k
    ratty2k Posts: 3,872
    Spent virtually every ride since Feb in the Peak, Ladybower is a fantastic base to go from, gives you some of the best bits in the PEak. Beast, Blackley Hey, Suicide brake (Gores Heights), Hagg farm. Easy to string a route together as well... Best to get a map or guide book of the area or someone who knows their way around a bit.
    My Pics !

Whadda ya mean I dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday....
  • Check out the white peak guide book. Loads of stuff close the chesterfield. Linacer woods is a good start point. If you want something to ease you back into biking the middleton and grangmill circuits are good too.
    Stuff I have designed
    www.muckynutz.com
  • thanks for all your replys will check them out soon and im also looking for a riding partner any takers.
  • Rich9
    Rich9 Posts: 1,635
    i'm only 30mins or so from Ladybower. could be interested once i get my new bike sorted
    2014 Whyte T-129S
  • ratty2k
    darkgalaxy wrote:
    thanks for all your replys will check them out soon and im also looking for a riding partner any takers.

PM with details, me and a mate of mine ibbo are up there quite often. Not this weekend tho...
    My Pics !

• If i remember correctly there is a trail which MBUK called Hope Valley was reviewed in MBUK one or two years back, maybe worth a look into. Considered it a few times but never actually got round to riding there.
  • ratty2k
    Best bet is to get a map and have a look at the numerous bridleways up there and see how you could string them together, this site is worth a look as well.
    Although, we tend to do variations on the routes....
    http://www.flattyresmtbroutes.com/North ... outes.html
    I also think that the next issue of WMB has some rides in the Peak, it'll be interesting to see which way round they do 'em!
    My Pics !

• go and ride 'cut gate path', which joins Langsett resevoir to Ladybower via Slippery Stones (sort of...) is awesome, very demanding, but well worth the effort for the surreal terrain and conditions. definately one of my favourites :wink:
  • ratty2k
    Slippery stones descent is very good, and going back to Langsett via Mickledon edge is great. But, there are better routes and I believe there has been a lot of trail repairs up there, and its a bit unsypathetic as well?
    My Pics !

• sounds a bit hard for me to be startin on but cheers for the info.
  • Get yourself a copy of 'Mountain Biking In The Dark Peak'. Some classic rides including the aforementioned Ladybower route. Mam Tor Figure of 8 is a classic. If you're really brave you can try the Jacob's Ladder descent.
    Dream as if you'll live forever..........live as if you'll die today!
  • ratty2k
    TB H the Jacobs descent while great, only the top is techy. I prefer Cavedale, once you get throught the little gate all hell lets loose! :D
    My Pics !

• the peak district the dark peak tails, bakewell ,cannok chase close, sherwood pines close, robins wood anywhere you see a trail
    2 Broken fingers broken again... F@$%^£g hell that hurt!!!

92% of teenagers have turned to rap. If your one of the 8% that still listens to real music put this in your sig.
    METAL!!!!!
  • the peak district the dark peak tails, bakewell ,cannok chase close, sherwood pines close, robins wood anywhere you see a trail
    2 Broken fingers broken again... F@$%^£g hell that hurt!!!

92% of teenagers have turned to rap. If your one of the 8% that still listens to real music put this in your sig.
    METAL!!!!!
  • with al these places ive got a lot of exploring to do cheers guys.
  • Oh and also theres Cannock Chase which has a trail called Follow the Dog which is pretty good for getting you into biking again, but can still challenge you when you start to improve. Its about 45mins from Derby Centre, so if you actually live in Derby its well worth a visit.
  • Click on the link below for some routes around the southern part of the Peak. There are 4 more due to be uploaded as well.
  • toshmund
    toshmund Posts: 390
    Has anyone used the train to get upto Ladybower? Either Hathersage or Bamford would be quite convenient, only ever walked from Fairholmes tbh. Is there a bike cleaning facility there nowadays? Suppose if you politely ask the bloke, in the shop to use the hose. Should think the railway folk would get a bit shirty if you tried to get home on a mud splattered bike...With the Wayfarer ticket, £8.60 for the day - unlimited travel in the covered area. I know New Mills is as far as we could get on the ticket the other week. Handy scenario for if you want do a linear ride, catch the train out and plan your route back. Solves the problem of cleaning the bike/gear up for on the train.

Edit, Just thought also of Grindleford station/cafe. The charming bloke who runs that place. Would be a picture to see his face, if you asked for some hot water to wash your bike :shock: :lol: Cap it off, use his toilets without buying anything...Priceless!
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    darkgalaxy wrote:
    looking for advice on some good trails and places to ride in and around the derbyshire area

Derbyshire's probably one of the best areas in the country for trail riding. Both the Dark Peak and White Peak are criss-crossed with bridleways and byways which you can link together to form some excellent routes. Get the OS maps for your area and get planning!

Just as a note to everyone, there is a letter in the new issue of MBR from one of the National Park rangers, asking that all trail users try to stay away from the more popular routes (particularly Jacob's Ladder) for the time being. This is because of the rain situation and the fact that the ground is now at saturation point, so it might be an idea to try spreading out a bit!
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • If you're in Chesterfield there are plenty of rides very close by in the White Peak. You can pick up some good trails from Linacre, you can't get much closer than that!!

Regards

Rob
  • If you're in Chesterfield there are plenty of rides very close by in the White Peak. You can pick up some good trails from Linacre, you can't get much closer than that!!

Regards

Rob

Do they actually start in Linacre resevoir/woods and if so are they easy to find and follow, I also live in Chesterfield and am always on the lookout for new routes.

Bec
    If every action has an equal and opposite reaction does that mean I will be eaten by a fly?