what problems will there be if my frames too big

andy610
andy610 Posts: 602
edited September 2008 in Road beginners
im just over 5ft 6 and have an inside leg of 31 inch and i was sold a trek pilot 1.0 which has a sloping tube, it is a size 56 many say its too big for me ive had it for nearly for 2 yrs now, if it is too big what problems would i get on it. i can reach the hoods ok, but most people can by moving seat forward or back if to near to bars, so guess if the small bone just under knee is in line with the middle of the pedal axle and im not streching it will be ok.

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    KOPS (Knee over pedal spindle) is not necessarily the correct fit for everyone.

Normally there's not a massive problem with a slightly large frame if you fit a shorter stem (which I think is what you have done). A larger frame will give you a taller headtube - which if you aren't too bothered about breaking speed records isn't problem.

No one can fit a bike over the net, but if you post some pictures of you on the bike, some one will have some good ideas - best bet is to see an "independent" bike fitter though - perhaps you've got a friend who knows a bit about cycling who can see you on the bike and give you some sound advice.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • topdude
    topdude Posts: 1,557
    Andy / Andy Andy / how many times are you going to ask this same question ???

It is obviously worrying you but i see from another post you have riden your Trek Pilot over 4000 miles so maybe you should tell us what problems you get :?

I suggest one of the following :

A - go to a good LBS and get a nice bike well fitted to suit you and sell your Pilot.
    B - accept that there is nothing wrong with your bike and just enjoy riding it for another 4000 miles :D
    He is not the messiah, he is a very naughty boy !!
  • The only problem with a bike that's too big is that you won't be able to raise the saddle high enough. If you can reach the pedals then there's obviously not a problem, but it would be a problem if you wanted a more aerodynamic position.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    The only problem with a bike that's too big is that you won't be able to raise the saddle high enough.

huh.....
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • The only problem with a bike that's too big is that you won't be able to raise the saddle high enough.

huh.....
    Read the rest of it :roll:
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,712
    It still makes no sense... Are you thinking of a frame that's too small?
  • andy610
    andy610 Posts: 602
    i took it to a local bike shop evans they said my seat needed to go forward and about an inch higher or more and did this for me on the way home i had to lower seat or i think i would of damage my legs, as i could hardly get any speed up on the flat and up hill was a lot harder so im going to leave it well alone now