Mavic Ksyrium Elite hub - how to remove axle.....?

neeb
neeb Posts: 4,471
edited September 2016 in Workshop
Ok, I'm trying to change the freehub body on a Ksyrium Elite wheel. I've removed the collar on one side with the peg tool:

dsc1874sk7.jpg

But the axle is still firmly in place and doesn't want to come out, even with quite a hard tap. Is there still something else I need to undo? On the other side, it looks like this:

dsc1878el4.jpg

I assume the silver bit is part of the axle? There is a nut of some sort beneath the silver bit (black) - does this need to be undone to get the axle out? I thought this was for the freehub, and in any case I don't see how you can get at it with the axle in place. Or does the silver bit pull off like the cap on the other side?

Comments

• Detailed instructions here, depending on age of wheel.:

http://www.bikeforums.net/archive/index ... 58789.html

Looks from your pics like you need a 10mm and 5mm allen key to remove the axle.
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • neeb
    Brilliant, thanks! I'll try it tomorrow...

I somehow missed the 10mm socket on the side with the collar. :oops: it's actually a lot more visible in the photo due to the flash than it is in normal light..

Seems that with some mavic hubs the axle comes out just by undoing the collar, and in others not.
  • hugo15
    hugo15 Posts: 1,101
    http://www.tech-mavic.com/tech-mavic/te ... nual/data/

Logon = mavic-com
    password = dealer

The link above takes you to the mavic technical manuals
  • neeb
    Great, useful to know! :)

The freehub body was easy to change in the end. The axle is in two halves that come apart with the 5mm and 10mm allen key sockets. Once the axle is out, the freehub body lifts straight off, the fixed axle keeps it in place. There's nothing too complicated inside, just the two pawls and it's easy to see how to put them back if they fall off.

When replacing the axle you can screw it up tightly, it doesn't compress the bearings (the collar with the little holes does that).

This is one of those jobs that I thought was going to be more complicated and fiddly than it actually was.
  • lukechip
    lukechip Posts: 1
    It seems that newer Ksyrium Elites, and some other Kysriums too, now use 5mm hex keys on each end of the axle for removal. At least, my 2011 Ksyrium Elites work this way:

Here is the info for rear axle removal:

http://www.tech-mavic.com/tech-mavic/uk/sources/Produits/ROUTE/Roues/KsyriumElite/KsyEliteRearAxle.pdf

And here for the free hub overhaul:

http://www.tech-mavic.com/tech-mavic/uk/sources/Produits/ROUTE/Roues/KsyriumElite/KsyEliteFWBody.pdf
  • neeb
    Wow, not every day you get a reply to a short thread you started 4 years ago!

Contributors should feel free to update the information herein as the Ksyrium Elite range evolves over the centuries.. I look forward to hearing about the self-servicing, nano-machine managed, 100% frictionless, vacuum-sealed magnetic Elite hub in about 50 years time. Although if all they've done in the last 4 years is go from a 10mm to a 5mm hex socket at one end perhaps it will be a bit longer... :wink:
  • renko
    renko Posts: 61
    Anyone know how to get hold of the locking nut from drive side of the free hub - mine broke the other day whilst servicing and trawled all my LBS's to no avail - is there anyone selling these online that you know of? Or should anyone have a spare...

Cheers
    Dave
  • renko
    renko Posts: 61
    Just to add to this - I need a replacement wheel nut (drive side) for the following rear wheel
    Its a Mavic Kysrium Elite and it's only the nut on the far right side of the item numbered 330 010 01 in the diagram here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/broomhallcanoeclub/9918031573/

I have tried all my local bike shops to no avail and some are suggesting that I purchase the axel kit at a cost of £37.95 - to me that's well, frankly nuts.

Anyone with a spare would be mightily appreciated...

Cheers
    Dave
  • Hi Dave,
    Long shot here, but did you ever have any success sourcing that nut for the drive side spindle? Mine sheared today, making a horrendous racket in the process, but can't find much info about sourcing a spare...
    Cheers,
    Dougie
  • neeb
    The thread that won't die! :)

Pretty sure my fingers are wrinklier now than when that photo was taken..
  • hegyestomi
    hegyestomi Posts: 504
    Thread resurrection!
    Does anybody know if the 2011 elite will take a Shimano 11 speed freehub?
    Any answer appreciated!
    Thanks
    T
  • dowtcha
    dowtcha Posts: 442
    hegyestomi wrote:
    Thread resurrection!
    Any answer appreciated!
    Thanks
    T

The M10 freehub on the elites works for 10/11 speed. Just remove all spacers and you should be fine.
  • hegyestomi
    Dowtcha wrote:
    hegyestomi wrote:
    Thread resurrection!
    Any answer appreciated!
    Thanks
    T

The M10 freehub on the elites works for 10/11 speed. Just remove all spacers and you should be fine.
    Thanks for the info: I think I might get one of them, all I need to do now is source a shimano freehub.
  • dowtcha
    The M10 and M11 are the same, they just update the name for 11 speed. What have you on the wheel at the moment?. If you are running shimano there should be a M10 freehub on it already.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/en/s?q=mavic+freehub+body+ftsl+m11&cat=product
  • hegyestomi
    Dowtcha wrote:
    The M10 and M11 are the same, they just update the name for 11 speed. What have you on the wheel at the moment?. If you are running shimano there should be a M10 freehub on it already.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/en/s?q=mavic+freehub+body+ftsl+m11&cat=product
    I haven't got a wheel yet, it's from 2011 and comes with Camp freehub. I run Shimano so it needs to have that: I think the M11 should be a bit wider as AFAIK you need a spacer if you want to run 10sp shimano.
  • dowtcha
    The M10 and M11 are the same width, only difference is the name. People think the 10 in the name was to reflect 10 speed but it is not, that is just what they called it. They change the name to M11 when 11 speed came out but I think that has just added to the confusion. You could just buy a campy 11 speed cassette as 11 speed shimano/ Campagnolo cassettes work with each other groupsets.
  • cgfw201
    cgfw201 Posts: 680
    Hi Dave,
    Long shot here, but did you ever have any success sourcing that nut for the drive side spindle? Mine sheared today, making a horrendous racket in the process, but can't find much info about sourcing a spare...
    Cheers,
    Dougie

this exact thing has just happened to me and really struggling to find a spare, any tips?

On brink of buying a new wheel
  • cgfw201 wrote:
    Hi Dave,
    Cheers,
    Dougie

this exact thing has just happened to me and really struggling to find a spare, any tips?

On brink of buying a new wheel

Just had it happen to the nut from my replacement spindle... :cry: Don't think there are any other options other than forking out 40 bucks for an entire spindle...