Dawes sardar or kara kum

sirmy
sirmy Posts: 67
edited September 2008 in Tour & expedition
I'm thinking of getting a new bike for next year.

Previously I've done some touring on a MTB which is still, I hope, going strong after fitting some new bits. But the lure of the new is strong and I've got a hankering for a Dawes Sardar. This looks like an XC frame, possible a 2.2, with rigid forks and racks along with 26" wheels. This would make it suitable for off road stretches on the many Sustrans routes and a possible tour in Scotland, where bike can be used on public footpaths as well as bridleways.

But, I'm also loking at the Kara Kum, with it's 700 c wheels and butterfly bars.

Both of these have aluminium frames which may be a bit unforgiving for days off road without suspension.

Any one used either of these bikes, especially the Sardar, and have any views on which is the "better" bike?

Comments

• I have a Kara Kum and its a nice bike, never used it for touring yet though, just use it for day rides so I couldn't possibly offer a definitive review of the bike.

I know someone who could though,

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/road/product/karakum-07-21270

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/road/product/sardar-08-24163

Hope these links are of some use.
    Tarpaullynn
  • sirmy
    sirmy Posts: 67
    Thanks, I'd seen and them and thats why I was asking about them.

One of the things that aren't addressed in detail is how the bikes handle when loaded. The Dawes website gives no details on frame geometry for these two bikes, making me think they are variations on existing frames. The stays on the XC mountain bikes have chain stays that are 15 mm shorter than the Galaxy. From images of the Sardar Dawes have used a rear rack which raises the rear pannier to provide heel clearance, there/s a few centimetres clearance above the wheel. Will this raise the centre of gravity and affect the handling of the bike? I've not been able to find an image of a loaded 2008 Sardar to see if I'm right about this.

Anybody know?
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    You can get a rack like a Tortec Expedition or the Tubus Logo that have a secondary lower rail, this lowers the centre of gravity and provides a more rearward position, adding about an inch to heel clearance. This is useful especially on mtb style frames which tend to have shorter chainstays/wheelbase. However, it is built as a tourer and if they have fitted that rack I am presuming it all works satisfactorily - after all, tourers are probably Dawes' claim to fame.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    It looks like the rack mount at the bottom has some adjustment so it could be made lower.

Personally I think the Kara Kum would be my preference, I may be wrong, but the curved forks should be more compliant than the straight ones, and the bike looks a little more sprightly (probably an over-optimistic description), though the all black Sardar does look good, and more hardcore. Perhaps it would be more sure-footed on the rough stuff.