Jackets: some ideas/options

Scrumple
Scrumple Posts: 2,665
edited September 2008 in Road beginners
Been looking closely at jackets, now the weather is cold. And by that, I mean you can't get away with one layer! need a one time buy solution for all my needs.

I have noted the following advice, which is common on bike radar:

Waterproofs: usually get very hot, and don't breathe well. But, excellent at doing the job if you are out in bad, bad weather.
Most breathable is the eVent fabric, and the Endura eVent is a fave at £140.
Get the feeling they are more of a MTB option, for heavy rain and filth, or a rider who will go out in the worst of weather for a decent distance.

Windproof: far more breathable, and usually shower proof, but get wet eventually. Can be a great all year jacket as they have options like zip off arms, and can be worn without a base layer.
Good example is the Gore Phanton at about £75. Assos 851 is the daddy at £140 odd.

Pac a mac style: Vey light, eg 125g, very portable, can be carried in a pocket. Windproof, but only shower proof as they do eventually soak through. Can be less effective over time.
Excellent option is Montane Velo at £35 ish.

After a lot of thinking, and a riding portfolio that must mirror a lot of folk here (commuting 10 to 20 miles each way/day and the odd weekend fitness rides i.e. NOT a race/club rider who will have one of everything at its best!)....

...Decided to buy the Gore Phanton and a Montane Velo. I am asking if more experienced riders think this will serve as a complete year round do it all? It is a balance between one of everything, and just one option!

I see the Velo as an always carry item (pocket or bag). I see the Phantom , with its short sleeve option. as a year round jacket for the cold and for rain on sub 20 milers. I don't see me having to fork out for anything more in the next few years.

Good idea? Missing anything? Any better options? Maybe ditch the phantom for a straight Gillet?

(I have a £7.99 Lidl waterproof for the really bad days, when I wont care if it sweats like a sauna!).[/i]

Comments

• After years of trying to find the perfect jacket for my needs I bought the Gill Pro speed.Cannot reccomend it highly enough.Good compromise between functionality,waterproofing,breathability and lightweight.Was recently available for £65 on wiggle too,so something of a bargain for an event based jacket.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • sjbb
    sjbb Posts: 35
    Picked up a Protective Kashi. Nice and light.. waterproof and seems to breath pretty well going off how sweaty I don't get :) lol.

s
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,793
    your choice aint bad.... it won't do everything but what does

the phantoms are good

overboots?
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    edited
  • acorn_user
    acorn_user Posts: 1,137
    I have a similar Gore Jacket. I am a racer (a bad one), but I am also a student, so I have to spend carefully. I am pleased with my jacket. It gets used in showers year round, but mostly in winter. I really keeps the wind/cold air off me, to the extent that I usually only wear a base layer or short sleeve jersey underneath it. On marginally nice days, it does get too warm. It's just about small enough to fit into my small bar bag. Overall, I like it, but as you suspected, it is not really waterproof.
  • Invested in the Gore Xenon Race jacket this year. GoreTex Paclite stuff. Tested in heavy rain first time last week and passed. Breathable enough I didn't feel too hot and completely waterproof. With layers underneath I expect it would be good for almost all year (although I do have a winter jacket already.
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    Where did you get the Gore Phantom for £75? :)
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • Are cycling capes now considered unfashionable? I've just come back to cycling after a break of about 30 years and remember how useful thery were for touring and commuting. You could wear waterproof leggings with them, very uncool :lol: . I saw a cape for sale in the local sports supermarket the other day so presumably they are still around.