Wrong size bike

kaybar007
kaybar007 Posts: 15
edited September 2008 in Road beginners
I am 5 feet 2in tall, and I've ended up with an 18" bike because Evans Cycles took 6 weeks to dispatch the Cycle 2 Work vouchers, in which time the 15" model sold out.

They kindly swapped the saddle stem so the seat can go as low as possible and raised the handlebars up because I kept sliding forward on the seat, but despite these changes I still slide forward (and no doubt look like a small child on a big child's bike!!)

What should I be asking them to do to correct this? I have to keep moving to the back of the seat every minute or so, a bit tedious when riding. Any advice appreciated. The bike looks like this: http://www.evanscycles.com/products/raleigh/elegance-2008-womens-hybrid-bike-ec001060

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,712
    There's nothing you can do really, the frame's just too big.
  • Why did you buy an 18 inch bike just becasue a 15 inch was unavailable?

would you buy a DD 40 bra because Marks and Spencers didnt have a 34 b ?

[edit] - the above wasn't meant to appear sexist or patronising, but when I read it posted, it seemed like that so I apologise, [/edit] but the point goes, if they let you out the shop with a badly fitting bike (and as someone 5 inches taller, I'd probably not fit on it either) they've really failed in customer service unless you abosolutley insisted on taking it.

I think you need to have a word with the shop, say you've persevered with the adjustments, but they simply are not adequate, and see if you can find a nice alternative.

If you dont fit the bike, you simply will not enjoy it. Spend all your time wresting with a bike you cant control properly and you wont have any enthusiasm to cycle, which defeats the point.
    Bianchi c2c Alu Nirone 7 Xenon (2007) Road
    Orange P7 (1999) Road
    Diamond Back Snr Pro (1983) BMX
    Diamond BackSIlver Streak (1983) BMX

Oh, and BMX is the *ultimate* single speed.
  • bice
    bice Posts: 772
    I can well imagine your hassle with Evans, which is a shambolic outfit (though plenty of knowledgeable guys work in the shops). But you made a hurried decision and the wrong one. Take it back. Get them to change it. Dont be fobbed off.
  • If you can’t exchange it all I can say is that due to the design (low top tube) you should be ok, but the size will mean it’s heavier and more awkward when negotiating tight spaces. However the longer top tube will probably add to aerodynamics.
    I made the same mistake years ago due to ignorance and bad advice from the LBS. My MTB is 21’ (I’m 5’5), but it has been ok because I have only used it as a commuter. After upgrading my road bike (perfect size) I now have the confidence to buy a new frame (15-16’) when funds permit.
  • whyamihere
    dazzawazza wrote:
    However the longer top tube will probably add to aerodynamics.
    As well as causing back, shoulder, neck and wrist problems...

The shop sold you something completely wrong for you. If you went in asking for a road bike and was given an MTB, you'd complain, and this is possibly worse. Take the bike back.
  • add to aerodynamics.

any bike with a shopping basket on the front does tend to suggest aerodynamics are not the formost requirement......

:D
    Orange P7 (1999) Road

• Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    If it doesn't fit take it back. Did they suggest the larger frame was a viable alternative to the 15" when it became unavailable?

Before I found a local Wilier dealer I was seriously considering a Colnago CLX. The dodgy seatpost and Evans did put me off.

That said, in my brief experience you can't even narrow down to a shop being good or bad. The staff member you deal with can make a massive difference.
    I was told by one member of the local Edinburgh Bike Co-op that the dint in my Allez's top tube was fatal and that it was essentially good for the bin.
    A second staff member overheard, came over, gave it a good look over, took it out back and checked it over in a jig. Fearing the worst (the dint is pretty sizeable) they could've easily convinced me it was unusable. Give them their dues though, while I was ready to get the credit card out for an expensive afternoon, the bloke returned and said it was fine to ride but if I had any issues to bring it back and they'd give a real thorough going over. 14 months on and, while a size too large - due to my self-inflicted rush to buy during their 2006 sale - with a shorter stem it's still running fine.

I also received sound advice from them via young lad who looked like he was due to sit his GCSE's. He really seemed to know his stuff though. At 5'6"-5'7" I came away with a 19" Hardrock Pro and it has been perfect.

When it came to my recent all carbon roadie acquisition, had I opted for a Tarmac or Roubaix, I'd of happily gone back knowing who to speak to and who to avoid.
  • Sure - Like I said on another post, I managed to get a well set up bike form a Halfords/Bikehut. It can happen. If you find a great member of staff, then thats all you need.

I've generally found Evans staff to be knowedgeable and helpful, but perhaps the stores I go to are better at keeping/retaining staff than some other locations.
    Orange P7 (1999) Road

• whyamihere wrote:
    dazzawazza wrote:
    However the longer top tube will probably add to aerodynamics.
    As well as causing back, shoulder, neck and wrist problems...

Mate this isn’t a competition race bike.
    The reach will be short anyway so an extra inch or so shouldn’t cause muscle problems once used to the position.
    kaybar007, as long as the seat can be lowered enough you should be ok. I’m not saying its acceptable at all, so please try all you can to have the bike exchanged.
  • Thanks for all the replies - I've emailed Evans to see what their 2p is. Am loathe to go back if I don't have to because I seem to go invisible in there and have to wait ages for someone to help (this has been the case on my last three visits. I even arrived bang on opening time at the weekend and was made to wait outside for 15 mins while they set up the tills etc.)

The problem is the 15" model is out of stock until December and there aren't any other similar bikes this size. I have to buy my bike from Evans cos of the Ride 2 Work vouchers, sadly. I do love the design of the (cheesily named) Elegance. Oh, and they forgot to pack the basket anyway so have had to order that from another place!
  • Update: Evans emailed to say: "Thanks for the information, we suggest that you speak to the store that you bought it from as they will be able to provide more information to you. Also if you take the bike into the store they should be able to set it up so this doesn't happen or advise you if the bike is to big."

Considering I've been in there twice with all these adjustments and seen several people, and not a single one has said it's too big (I did ask) I doubt I'll have much luck. Also, on their website it implies you can only return it if the bike has been unridden... has anyone actually had any luck returning a "used" bike?
  • whyamihere
    The bike is unfit for purpose. Evans sold it to you knowing it was too big, they should sort it out. If not, the Citizen's Advice Bureau might be able to help you twist their arm a bit.
  • I'm going to take the bike to another shop for a second opinion, which I think will give me more weight if I do have to take it back to Evans.

Also, I've just used a guide calculator online which gives this formula for working out your ideal frame size at http://www.bikeexchange.com.au/article/buying-a-full-size-bike

I have long legs for a petite person, so my frame size comes out as 18", I know some manufacturers are a little out but this would mean maybe my frame isn't that wrong for me? Maybe I should move my handlebars?
  • bice
    bice Posts: 772
    i think getting an authoritative second opinion on whether you fit this bike is a good idea. If wrong, take it up at the highest level. CEO and chairman if necessary.
  • Donut
    Donut Posts: 17
    I have a bike put to one side for me at the LBS awaiting my CtW Voucher. Fortunately I managed to pursuade them to keep it for me as it was a 08 Specialized Allez 27. Unfortunately they reserved a 56 not a 54.

I used
    http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CC ... ATOR_INTRO
    to check the sizing and found that the 56 was better for me for the type of riding I intend to do.
    Sayng that the difference etween a 54 and 56 is <1" - your bike is 2" out.

If the calculator comes out within the tolerances it may just need setting up differently - I don't really know.
    If not go to the Citizens Advice and the threaten the shop with the Consumer Protection Act r whatever it takes.
    You may have to wait for a different bike - also contact the Bike to Work Scheme people and let them know if you have no joy with Evans - they may be able to mediate.

Good Luck
    Donut
  • Wow Donut, that bike fit app is the business! And according to that, I can fit a 19" frame - so I think it's off to another bike shop for some objective advice on adjustment... thanks for the input, and I'll let you know how I get on :)
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    edited September 2008
    kaybar007 wrote:
    Wow Donut, that bike fit app is the business! And according to that, I can fit a 19" frame - so I think it's off to another bike shop for some objective advice on adjustment... thanks for the input, and I'll let you know how I get on :)

That bike fit calculator is more for "racing bikes" rather than hybrids though. Road bikes naturally have a longer seat tube than a hybrid or MTB so a 19" road frame fits the same as (let's say) a 15" hybird frame.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Donut
    Donut Posts: 17
    Didn't realise that it was a hybrid we were talking about.
    Glad the calculator was or some help.
    Good luck with the adjustments....hope it works out for you.
    Donut
  • Good news everyone - the fantastic blokes at BikeWorks said the frame didn't look too big, maybe it could've been an inch smaller, but it was nothing they couldn't sort. The handlebar stem wasn't tightened properly (thanks Evans) so they adjusted and tightened that, I took it for a spin and was still sliding (though not as much as before) then they moved the seat back and viola, I cycled for 20 mins this arvo and didn't notice any slippage at all! Result :)

Btw, to the fella who used the wrong size bra as an analogy - yes, I wore the wrong size bra for 15+ years (34B) when I finally got measured and was told I was a 32D I was over the moon (with the exact same size boobs). And of course wanted to email all my exes the good news. Oh well.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Hey, glad it is sorted.

I know about the wrong bra size phenomena, I have had to give several girlfriends advice on this!
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    kaybar007 wrote:

Btw, to the fella who used the wrong size bra as an analogy - yes, I wore the wrong size bra for 15+ years (34B) when I finally got measured and was told I was a 32D I was over the moon (with the exact same size boobs). And of course wanted to email all my exes the good news. Oh well.

Maybe you could post a photo just so we can check that the sizing is ok!
    Smarter than the average bear.