is there really a difference or is it just snobbery

kev2b3
kev2b3 Posts: 159
edited September 2008 in MTB beginners
I recently bought a claud butler olympus xt second hand off one of my mates. He sold it too me cheap so that he could go and buy a Rockhopper Pro. The reason that he sold it was other cyclist teased him for owning a claud butler.I am pretty new to mtb,but looking at the spec on the Claud Butler xt ,which to me seems better than that on the Spec Rockhopper makes me feel its all down to cycling snobbery.
So is there alot of difference in the bikes or is it down to snobbery.

Comments

• Bugly
    Bugly Posts: 520
    some snobbery but a lot of differences between bikes. As you pay more you get lighter components, components with better finishes and looks, more intricate anf better engineered components. Only you can decide if its worthwhile.

MOST of us dont require the BEST bike but because its affordable SOME of us spend more on buying the steed then we need to. when its all said and done its a pleasure to ride a well built and maintained bike. Riding a cheap bike does not pass on the same feeling to me.
  • scars
    scars Posts: 360
    Its a mixed bag to be honest, generally the more you spend the more you get.

Componentry doesnt alway make the bike, A well designed frame can make a bike. Claud Butlers used to be an amazing XC bike yester year but they seem to have developed a rep for knocking out cheap mass production bikes, i personally like claud Bulters, I had a top end Cape Wrath when i got back into the sport and loved it. It wasn't my bag but for a lowish priced XC bike it certainly did the job.

Simply put if the bike does the job you want it to do Just enjoy it and forget what the snobs have to say.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Bugly wrote:
    MOST of us dont require the BEST bike but because its affordable SOME of us spend more on buying the steed then we need to. when its all said and done its a pleasure to ride a well built and maintained bike. Riding a cheap bike does not pass on the same feeling to me.
    +1
    I've owned some real sheds in the past and a bad ride on a great bike is much better than a bad ride on a clunker.
  • I've got a (heavily updgraded) Spesh Hardrock. Bottom of the range bike Spesh hard tail.

I've blasted past people on full susser rigs that cost ten times as much as mine.

Conversely I've had guys on 20 year old steel framed rigid bikes obliterate me on the trails.

Put it this way, it's better to be out on any bike than not out at all
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The Claud Butler Olympus is a great bike. Too many brand snobs about.
  • .blitz wrote:
    Bugly wrote:
    +1
    I've owned some real sheds in the past and a bad ride on a great bike is much better than a bad ride on a clunker.

Absolutely dont justify my Ransom 10, could have should have bought the cheaper alloy version or a cheaper brand bike. However I was lucky in that I had saved and I could afford it.

I get immense joy out of riding it even if I get passed and totally outclassed by people on clunkers. Makes me respect their skill and gives me something to aim for. What does irk me is reverse snobbery where people are rude or judge you by what you are riding if it is better than theirs but they are better riders. I worked hard for my bike and if some people cant deal with my choice to buy a bike better than Ill probably realistically be as a rider then they need to get out a lot more.

whoops...sorry I digressed...

So yes I just enjoy riding a nice bike after having done time on some shockers in the past.
    Scott Ransom 10

Stumpy FSR Comp

Wilier Izoard

1994 Shogun Prairie Breaker Expert...ahhh yesssss

'I didnt need those front teeth anyway..'
  • I've got a (heavily updgraded) Spesh Hardrock. Bottom of the range bike Spesh hard tail.

I've blasted past people on full susser rigs that cost ten times as much as mine.

Conversely I've had guys on 20 year old steel framed rigid bikes obliterate me on the trails.

very true, its not what you have its how you use it. I've kept up/overtaken many riders on my £500 rockhopper who have much better bikes. Go out and enjoy it! I've never heard of people mocking others on there bike choice, most riders i've met have been pretty friendly.
    Bikes are OK, I guess... :-)

2008 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp.
    2013 Trek 1.2
    1982 Holdsworth Elan.
  • kev2b3
    I don't know if it was snobbery which made him buy a a different bike or not , it just seems strange how he paid over £800 for the bike then upgraded the bike by using carbon where he could .He kept the bike looking like new. He went out a few times with some new cycling mates then all of a sudden claud butler became a swear word. Really i should'nt be complaining due to having a great bike which cost me a fraction what it cost him.
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    Rockhopper Pro is a great bike.

However, his reason for selling seems a bit pathetic!

You do get what you pay for, but it is down to personal preferences

A bit like buying a similar type of car.

Most bikes with a similar price, in their group will be similar, ie Hardtails at the same price range will be similar, FS at the same price will be simiar etc

I have crap legs and balance, one leg is very much weaker, so I get beaten by a lot of people on all types of bike, but I do get to the end of the trail, and I'm out there giving it a go.

You've heard of the phrase £1000 bike & 10p legs?

A lot of us could have got a 'better' bike for more money, but wiould we notice the difference?

I know I wouldn't and you have to ride what you are comfortable with.

Now all you need to do is get out there and beat him over the trails!
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • shin0r
    shin0r Posts: 555
    Sounds like your mate has some self esteem issues, but good on you for getting a bargain.

An element of snobbery probably exists in MTB like in all walks of life, but who cares? I regularly get passed on the trails by people on clunkers but it doesn't bother me in the slightest, I'm not racing for a living; I'm not racing at all in fact.

Do I need an expensive bike? No way. I have one because I can, and I enjoy fettling with new toys. Does it make me a better biker? No way.
  • mudsucker wrote:
    I've got a (heavily updgraded) Spesh Hardrock. Bottom of the range bike Spesh hard tail.

very true, its not what you have its how you use it. I've kept up/overtaken many riders on my £500 rockhopper who have much better bikes. Go out and enjoy it! I've never heard of people mocking others on there bike choice, most riders i've met have been pretty friendly.

Must admit it was only once, that I have come across someone who was basically a grade A w.k..r. Turns out I smoked the guy on the trail anyway, it is like life there will always be somebody who is a bit special and tries to ruin it for everyone else. I have to say that as a Kiwi living and riding in the UK pretty much everybody I have met on a trail has been friendly and that is what I love about this 'hobby'. I have even been passed by Nick Clegg in Machlynneth one time and he made a point of saying hi and smiling as he went past uphill faster than I can ride DH. :lol:
    Scott Ransom 10

Stumpy FSR Comp

Wilier Izoard

1994 Shogun Prairie Breaker Expert...ahhh yesssss

'I didnt need those front teeth anyway..'
  • -liam-
    -liam- Posts: 1,831
    Back in the day Claude Butler were a half decent make. Didn't they claim to hand build bikes ?

I owned one before my previous Trek.

Unforutnately, the company isn't quite the same these days with the bikes being lobbed together on the Falcon production line (Claude Butler is owned by Falcon now) in whatever impoverished 3rd world country that is.
  • same here, claud butler are good, i like them. I love it when you leave someone with a "superbike" dead on the trails in a cloud of dust

Yukon Lad
    Drop, Berm, Jump, Sky, Sky, Sky, Sweet Beautiful Earth OUCH, OUCH,OUCH, ****! GORSE BUSH!!!

Giant Yukon FX2
    Kona Stab Deluxe 2008
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    If it makes you smile and want to get back out in the pouring rain then its a good bike wether it cost £60 or £6000
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Look at a few bikes, if the best specced one feels good to ride, great, but buy the one that rides best/fits best. Some brands may be a 'safe bet' because they've got experience etc, but that's a bit of a grey area.
    You can judge the ride a bit by geometry - I bought the DMR mail order because I was sure it all added up & I wasn't dissapointed, but that was with a bit of experience.
    Looks aren't too important to me, just a bonus. Some brands do look better than others though.

One thing's for sure though, in general, more cash means a better ride, but still check it out, don't just buy because it's made of carbon, or has a certain style of suspension, etc. YOU need to feel that it works.
  • Life is just far to short . This means you have to get as much riding in as possible , so what difference does it really make what you ride as long as the bike you are riding can cope with the terrain you're riding on and your having a laugh . I have a few bikes and enjoy riding all of them .
    Bike snobbery is a horrible thing , but the only place i have ever experienced it is in a bike shop and the snobs where a few members of staff , lets just say i had to inform them of the error of there ways and have never stepped through there door again.

Yeah okay the more you spend the better bike you may get but we all have to pay other bills and have other financial commitments ,so ride what you can afford and enjoy every minute.
  • Yeh, I've said the same sort of thing elsewhere - spend more time riding than worrying about whether you've got the right bike. I certainly wasn't saying you have to spend loads, just that if you do, it all works better. I have 2 bikes, don't need any more than that, & they'll last a while, I don't see the point in a new one every year. And NEVER look down on a rider because you think they've got the wrong bike - they might even turn out to be a better rider. I've seen some bike shop staff who own expensive shiny bikes but can't ride. Not so much these days though.
  • i've just got back into it by buying a Barracuda Jacana. A bit different from the Raleigh Activator 2 i had when i was at school.

I knew what i wanted specwise and i found the cheapest one.

The people who are probably snobs are the ones who have the £3000 bikes but can't ride them for s**t or dont know what they're doing on it.
    Barracuda Jacana 20"
    Disc Brakes Front/Rear
    21 Gears
    Dunno what else to put here
  • When I about 11 my younger brother and I were invited along to the youth group of my local MTB club by a mate. Our bikes were totally outclassed by what everyone else had. It really did look like everyone was there to show off their gear. We turned up on our cheap rigids wearing anoraks while everyone else was wearing lycra and riding around the car park demonstrating their suspension travel, and there was zero welcome for the new kids. I didn't know the route (which was obviously well rehearsed by everyone else) and about a third of the way in my brother wasn't keeping up, so slowed to make sure he didn't get lost. They all buggered off and the only reason we caught them up was because one of them got a puncture and they stopped to change the tube. I had to work out which whay they'd gone from the freshest looking tyre tracks!

While my brother was a bit out of his depth, we definitely felt the snobbery that day!

Needless to say that was my first and last group ride, and I continued to go out on my own and enjoy myself on my own routes at my own ability and pace, enjoying the equipment I had!
    Welcome, to my bonesaw!
  • Belphegor wrote:
    When I about 11 my younger brother and I were invited along to the youth group of my local MTB club by a mate. Our bikes were totally outclassed by what everyone else had. It really did look like everyone was there to show off their gear. We turned up on our cheap rigids wearing anoraks while everyone else was wearing lycra and riding around the car park demonstrating their suspension travel, and there was zero welcome for the new kids. I didn't know the route (which was obviously well rehearsed by everyone else) and about a third of the way in my brother wasn't keeping up, so slowed to make sure he didn't get lost. They all buggered off and the only reason we caught them up was because one of them got a puncture and they stopped to change the tube. I had to work out which whay they'd gone from the freshest looking tyre tracks!

While my brother was a bit out of his depth, we definitely felt the snobbery that day!

Needless to say that was my first and last group ride, and I continued to go out on my own and enjoy myself on my own routes at my own ability and pace, enjoying the equipment I had!

What about your mate who invited you? Where did he go?
    Barracuda Jacana 20"
    Disc Brakes Front/Rear
    21 Gears
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    "Most bikes with a similar price, in their group will be similar, ie Hardtails at the same price range will be similar, FS at the same price will be simiar etc"

That says it all! All the bits will be from very few factories/manufacturers. All the frames (at a given price/material spec) will be from a few ditto.

Usually simply paying for the decals. But yes those of course do for some reason totally beyond any rational explanation make some people believe that they are riding a better bike!
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • ratty2k
    ratty2k Posts: 3,872
    russbelluk wrote:

The people who are probably snobs are the ones who have the £3000 bikes but can't ride them for s**t or dont know what they're doing on it.

But thats just reverse snobbery? Its all about enjoying the bike, I've just spent £2k on my new bike (when it shows up) I'll still enjoy the ride, and expect people not to turn round and comment because they are jealous.
    My Pics !

Whadda ya mean I dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday....
  • shin0r
    shin0r Posts: 555
    ratty2k wrote:
    russbelluk wrote:

But thats just reverse snobbery? Its all about enjoying the bike, I've just spent £2k on my new bike (when it shows up) I'll still enjoy the ride, and expect people not to turn round and comment because they are jealous.

Reverse snobbery is just as bad, if not worse than snobbery in my opinion. It's hard to avoid unfortunately. You'll always get some people who are overly concerned about what other people ride rather than focusing on their own enjoyment of this fantastic hobby.

Sure, many people you see out on the trails have some over-engineered, ludicrously tricked out bike which they'll never push to its limit (myself included; I'm an unfit fat bastard with no delusions of grandeur when it comes to my riding) - but it is their choice, and if they are having a good time then good on them!
  • ratty2k
    ratty2k Posts: 3,872
    shin0r wrote:
    ratty2k wrote:
    russbelluk wrote:

Reverse snobbery is just as bad, if not worse than snobbery in my opinion. It's hard to avoid unfortunately. You'll always get some people who are overly concerned about what other people ride rather than focusing on their own enjoyment of this fantastic hobby.

Sure, many people you see out on the trails have some over-engineered, ludicrously tricked out bike which they'll never push to its limit (myself included; I'm an unfit fat bastard with no delusions of grandeur when it comes to my riding) - but it is their choice, and if they are having a good time then good on them!

:lol: Same as me then! The reverse snobbery bit was my main point, who really cares what you ride as long as you enjoy it?
    Bar xcmtbkingy (or whovever!) as the attitude to the advice given is so wrong and yet funny! :lol:
    My Pics !

Whadda ya mean I dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday....
  • russbelluk wrote:
    Belphegor wrote:
    When I about 11 my younger brother and I were invited along to the youth group of my local MTB club by a mate. Our bikes were totally outclassed by what everyone else had. It really did look like everyone was there to show off their gear. We turned up on our cheap rigids wearing anoraks while everyone else was wearing lycra and riding around the car park demonstrating their suspension travel, and there was zero welcome for the new kids. I didn't know the route (which was obviously well rehearsed by everyone else) and about a third of the way in my brother wasn't keeping up, so slowed to make sure he didn't get lost. They all buggered off and the only reason we caught them up was because one of them got a puncture and they stopped to change the tube. I had to work out which whay they'd gone from the freshest looking tyre tracks!

What about your mate who invited you? Where did he go?
    As I recall he didn't show up :?
    Welcome, to my bonesaw!
  • A few months ago, I went to thetford for a pre race meet. Basically, people going to see what the track would be like. The first crash was one of the pro salsa riders, who went to clip in on the pedals, missed and ended up going over the handlebars. From a guy riding a top carbon bike with all the best stuff on it. At least my mate was able to give him some abuse...

p.s. it was 7 time TDF winner Lance Armstrong who said "Its not about the bike."
    jedster wrote:
    Just off to contemplate my own mortality and inevitable descent into decrepedness.
    FCN 3 or 4 on road depending on clothing
    FCN 8 off road because I'm too old to go racing around.
  • -liam-
    -liam- Posts: 1,831
    pmsl...

Can't remember the last time I saw LA trundling over the alps on a Raleigh Grifter....;)
  • kev2b3
    -Liam- wrote:
    pmsl...

Can't remember the last time I saw LA trundling over the alps on a Raleigh Grifter....;)

And if you did he would still be in front of us.
  • As long as ya like riding YOUR bike it makes no difference what so ever. Better to go out and enjoy the bike ride rather than go out and get disillusioned. At the end of the day it's the rider not the bike.
  • of course its you that only matters with this, who cares what other people think. you thought it was a good decision at the time so you went with it, just because someone else thinks its not, doesn't mean its the wrong one.

also if you ask who makes the worst/best bikes out there, you'll get a lot of variety in your answers. you buy it as it ticks all the boxes that you wanted ticking
    Barracuda Jacana 20"
    Disc Brakes Front/Rear
    21 Gears