Worn chain

davidncohen
davidncohen Posts: 17
edited September 2008 in Road beginners
I have a chain wear checker and it looks like my chain is worn.

However, can someone please explain why it might be necessary (as I've so often heard / read), that if I put a new chain on, Imight also need a new rear casette and / or front rings. How exactly does the wearon the chain effect the other components to the extent that they may also be replacing.

Thanks in advance.

David

Comments

• Bugly
    Bugly Posts: 520
    If your chain has been worn (stretched for a long time) you may find that the chainrings and the cluster are worn also - the teeth get slightly hooked. If this is the case putting on a new chain alone is pointless as the rest of the drive train is worn. If however the cluster and rings are not worn excessively all you may need is a new chain.

Replacing chains before they are excessively worn prolongs the life of your cluster and chain rings. Keeping the chain well lubricated and clean prolongs the lives of all the drive train components

Rob
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    good pictures at the bottom, and a very good explanation of what can happen.

http://sheldonbrown.com/chains.html
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Steve_F
    Steve_F Posts: 682
    I heard that using a chain on the cassette will soon stop any jumping and they will work together after a few rides.

I tried this cheap method on my MTB and after the chain snapping about 3 times I now have to change my rear mech, hanger, chain & cassette as it tried to snap inside the mech, got wedged and ripped the mech up with it.

So for what it costs, I'd replace both! It may be worth changing the chain first and seeing if it jumps, if it does replace both but I see that as a bit of a gamble now!
    Current steed is a '07 Carrera Banshee X
    + cheap road/commuting bike
  • Dear all,

Many thanks, and very useful - I forgot all about Sheldon's web pages.

David