winter bike or not

andy610
andy610 Posts: 602
edited September 2008 in Road beginners
i have a trek 2007 pilot 1.0 which is nearly 2yrs old which i use for long rides and going to work and back, in all weathers, im thinking of buying a new bike for summer and using the pilot for work and winter, if i got another bike i would probably get another pilot with the sloping frame as its been great for the back etc and guess i should have the bikes with the same type frame so im not swapping from one to another, or do most just have one bike and wash it more

Comments

• John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    Definately have a winter bike (with mudguards). It keeps the good one good and gives you somewhere to use up all the bits you took of the good one when something new that you just had to have came along. Once you have one it is quite cheap to run, it is the other one that costs.
  • woody-som
    woody-som Posts: 1,001
    Oh yes. I use my old Giant OCR with SKS raceblades for winter, being 8 speed, it sticks the crap from the road well. The winter bike is a compact Alu frame, but the good bike is a traditional frame style in Titanium, so don't think both bike has to be the same, I can readily swap between them. Just make sure the new bike is set up to the same measurements as the one you curently have.
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,712
    I'm definitely having a winter bike this year. Full guards, panniers and a front disc brake for when the weather's really crappy will make my winter riding a pleasure rather than the torture it's been in the past.
  • I use a 3YO Giant Escape MTB for rainy weather. Will still use the road bike during winter as long as there's no rain.
  • andy610
    andy610 Posts: 602
    ive at last decided to just have one bike cos i cant justify the cost of having 2 as we dont get much sun anymore i will just have to take mudguards off in summer and clean bike off when its gets wet and lube it more and dry it