New tyres = exploding tubes

xcracer
xcracer Posts: 298
edited September 2008 in Road beginners
I've just been fitting some new tyres (Schwalbe Blizzard 700x23). The back one went on fine. The front one has been a right pain in the butt.

Firstly, I've had a lot of problems getting the tyre to stay on when inflating. More annoyingly (when I have got it to stay on) the tubes have exploded when I got them up to the recommended pressure (85psi). Why are they doing this? My ears are still ringing from the last attempt.

I've now run out of tubes and face having to get the train to work tomorrow (arghhhhh!). Please help.

Comments

• Are you putting no more than a couple of pumps of air into the tyres and then checking to ensure the innertube is not caught between the tyres and the rims?

My ears experienced several tube explosions close to 150PSI on my old Principia, had ringing in them for hours after! :shock:
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • xcracer
    Er....no...I just pump them up halfway and then check the tyres on properly. Am I pumping too fast? :oops:
  • Aidanw
    Aidanw Posts: 449
    maybe not checking they are on properly...

Do the tyres slip on very easily?
  • sub55
    sub55 Posts: 1,025
    yse tubs
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly
  • xcracer
    Aidanw wrote:
    maybe not checking they are on properly...

Do the tyres slip on very easily?

No, it requires some effort to get the tyre on but then when I start pumping they pop off easily.
  • chuckcork
    chuckcork Posts: 1,471
    Is it always coming off at the same point? I assume the hook bead is catching properly?
    'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....
  • xcracer
    No it comes of at different points. The last time I managed to get it on all the way round and get it up to the recommended pressure. I thought I had cracked it but then when I released the pump valve the tube exploded. :(
  • chuckcork
    chuckcork Posts: 1,471
    Just a thought, is the pressure gauge on your pump correct? Not a stupid question, I made the mistake of using a car garage air supply once, and my tyres exploded some time later as they were wll over pressure.

Other possibly stupid suggestions: are your tyres compatible with your rims, i.e. your rims are sized to take that size tyre?

Google also the brand, can they handle being pumped up to the pressure recommended? I've never had a problem with the ones I use but have heard somewhere that some brands (don't ask me which) cannot handle the pressure stated. You could also check the manufacturers website.

Suggest also, the pressure rating on the tyres usually gives a max and a min, perhaps only pump up halfway between them?
    'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....
  • xcracer
    Yeah, could be a pump problem. My Decathlon 'special' is not the most expensive track pump going. I will try again tomorrow with a fresh supply of tubes and will cross check the pressures with the gauge on my mini pump.
  • Aidanw
    Aidanw Posts: 449
    How old is the wheel? Any chance it is wearing thin and the sides bent out a bit?

It all seems very odd to me!
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    I'd guess that either:

(i) the tubes are either getting pinched between the rim and the tyre - when you have the tyre on, pull the bead towards the middle bit by bit to make sure the tube isn't caught.

(ii) you've got something sharp in the tyre (unlikely as new, but you never know) or the rim. Have you got a good layer or two of rim tape? Any spokes poking through?
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    I have had this on a set of tyres, they needed to be seated very precisely otherwise a part of the bead would come out of the rim. This was hard to get right, then I brushed a liberal amount of diluted washing up liquid all over the tyre beads and then pumping up slowly, the bead found the right position by itself and no more problem.