electirc hook ups and campsites?

howsmyriding27
howsmyriding27 Posts: 266
edited September 2008 in Tour & expedition
At many of the campsites I have been looking at, most of them offer "electric hook-ups"

can you plug chargers/plugs for cameras/phones straight into these or do you need a converter like one of these?:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CARAVAN-CAMPING-AWNING-ELECTRIC-HOOK-UP-5-METRES_W0QQitemZ150288255335QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item150288255335

If so, is it really worth it or are there other ways to charge your appliances...

thanks.
Hardtails aren't called hardcore for no reason

Giant STP: http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1996804/
Spesh Hardrock: http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1996822/

Comments

• At many of the campsites I have been looking at, most of them offer "electric hook-ups"

can you plug chargers/plugs for cameras/phones straight into these or do you need a converter like one of these?:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CARAVAN-CAMPING-AWNING-ELECTRIC-HOOK-UP-5-METRES_W0QQitemZ150288255335QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item150288255335

If so, is it really worth it or are there other ways to charge your appliances...

thanks.

You have to pay a surcharge for a pitch with a hook up and to be honest I'd not contemplate using one as I don't want to mix mains electricity with wet weather without additional protection. You will need to use an extension lead but there are simpler and cheaper ways of getting your phone charged:

Use a two to three pin converter and use the shaving socket in the toilet block.

Ask a caravanner/camper with a hook up if they'd put your phone on charge - I've never been refused.

Ask the camp site owner if they'd put your phone on charge. It works by all accounts but I've never tried it.

Ask a cafe/restaurant/pub if they'd put your phone on charge while you are having a drink - I've never been refused.

If you switch your phone off when you are not using it you'd be surprised how long a single charge will last. I managed five days without a re-charge recently.

As for cameras - I use one that uses AA dry cells. Gets round the flat battery/recharging problems.
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    You need the adaptor which is expensive and heavy!

It is usual to have some sort of circuit breaker to ensure safety if the sockets, or the device becomes wet.

I am not sure I would be happy with the one you are suggesting!

Read the advice here
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • As a camper as well as a cyclist the only advice I would give is to avoid any such devices sold on ebay, that item is just a normal extension socket with an outside plug on and isn't weatherproof at all. Why ebay allow such items to be sold is beyond me, the seller claims that the item meets all British Standards.........utter bollocks.

Cunobelin's link above is a good one and this subject has been covered on there nearly as many times as the 'what bike should I buy' question has on this site.

I've never combined the 2 hobbies yet but one day when I do I'll just take a mobile charger and plug it in at any sockets that I come across on my travels, i.e. shower blocks, cafes, pubs, hostels etc.
    Tarpaullynn
  • I'm sitting in a campsite in Budapest as I type this and I've just plugged my computer into the electric box on the campsite and it works fine. I've also done the same in Germany and Austria with no problems.

Aidan

www.acousticmotorbike.com
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    I use an iGo PowerXtender Battery Operated Charger. It takes 2 AA batteries, and you buy accessory "tips" to fit whatever device you want to charge. I used it to recharge my mobile phone, which I used for its GPS on my recent tour. 2 AA's charged it fully, and over seven days I used 5 sets (I took rechargeable NiMH cells). All works very well. It costs about £10, with the tips costing about £5 each.