First Bike Purchase

nerm
nerm Posts: 3
edited September 2008 in Road beginners
Hello,

I'm planning to ride from London to Paris in Spring next year and would like to purchase a bike that I could use for the purpose (I'll be carrying a little luggage).

I'd like to ask you guys the most basic of questions as to what type of bike I should go after and what things it must have or be capable of doing.

In addition I'd like to canvas opinions on how I should go about purchasing a bike i.e. go to a shop, buy online, buy second hand?

I have a budget of up to £400, would quite happily buy an old or second hand bike.

Ta,

Neal

Comments

• Buy second hand for that budget but make sure it fits you. :)
    'How can an opinion be bullsh1t?' High Fidelity
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    I would suggest you get a bike with clearance for mudguards, and rack and mudguard eyelets.

What to get depends on future intended use. A fairly light road bike with the capability of taking a rack and mudguards for light touring loads, such as the Trek 1.2, or a steel audax type bike for more comfort whilst reasonably speedy (you'll have to go secondhand to get that in budget), or a full on tourer, such as the Revolution Country Traveller '08 from Edinburgh Cycle Co-Op, which comes complete with rack and mudguards and is highly rated as a budget tourer and is within budget.