Do i need new pedals for racing?

boybiker
boybiker Posts: 531
edited September 2008 in Road beginners
I was just wondering if I should invest in some pedals which are more suited to road racing or should I stick to the Shimano M540's I currently have fitted on my road bike?
Ive currently got M540's on my bestest bike and on my training bike and I don't really want to have to get two sets of pedals and shoes unless its going to be of real benefit.
Cheers
The gear changing, helmet wearing fule.
FCN :- -1
Given up waiting for Fast as Fupp to start stalking me

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    If you're comfortable with the current set-up, why change. Dedicated roadie clipless might have a better cornering angle clearance but if you're tilting the bike over that far you're going to slide out before you strike your pedals. Stiffer shoes would be the only upgrade I'd suggest if you haven't done so already.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Dedicated road pedals would have a more positive engagement / direct feel in comparison to your 540s but probably means that you'd need new shoes too. For your first races, you're there to learn and gain experience - anything else is a bonus. Focused training and learning from experience is likely to have a far more significant impact on your performance than new shoes at this stage - new kit doesn't win races, but old minds do!
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • If you are after something a bit more sporty try the A520s
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Shima ... 360027292/

They give a bit more support for the sole but are still SPD so you can continue to use your old shoes.
    To err is human,
    but to really screw things up you need a shimano - campag mixed drivechain.
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,712
    zenzinnia wrote:
    If you are after something a bit more sporty try the A520s

They give a bit more support for the sole but are still SPD so you can continue to use your old shoes.
    Regrettably, they're rubbish. M540s are a much better option than A520s.
  • Thanks for the replies. I think I'll stick with what Ive got until I cannot get any improvement from simply riding harder. Which may be a while :roll:
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Just out of interest what shoes are you using?
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • They are NorthWave thingies dunno any other details as I don't have them with me at the moment. The soles seem quite stiff to me but that maybe simply because I haven't used anything else.

OOhh Ive just found the box and it says they are NorthWave with ride'n walk which I remember thinking was a good idea at the time.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Maybe get road shoes first (nice ones turn up on eBay occasionally) but only if you really want to upgrade. Make sure they have a SPD drilling though.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • whyamihere wrote:
    zenzinnia wrote:
    If you are after something a bit more sporty try the A520s

Regrettably, they're rubbish. M540s are a much better option than A520s.

Why do you feel they are rubbish?

I have these on my road bike and they look good on it and I have no problem with engaging/releasing or unintentional unclipping. What else would I want from a pedal?
  • whyamihere
    They offer no more support or security than MTB pedals like the M540s and due to being single sided, you may find you have to flip them occasionally. Essentially, they offer the worst of both worlds.
  • I find they offer a lot more support to my more flexable touring shoes. I've got M540s on my MTB and when I use my touring shoes I can feel the shoe bending and I can't on the A520s.
    To err is human,
    but to really screw things up you need a shimano - campag mixed drivechain.
  • whyamihere
    The dual sided MTB pedals with platforms would do exactly the same job but without ever having to flip the pedal. You'll never convince me that A520s are a good idea, I think they're possibly the most pointless product ever.
  • I have fitted A520s to my SCR2. OK, I'm a bit of a newbie, but I find them perfectly OK. BTW, they are also on special offer at www.cyclexpress.co.uk.
    http://app.strava.com/athletes/287459
    Member of http://www.UKnetrunner.co.UK - the greatest online affiliated running club
  • No road pedals are dual sided therefore I don't see what the issue over them not being dual sided is. If the top pros can manage to train day and daily on single sided pedals then I'm sure I can struggle along :wink:

I have a very good set of shoes which cost me well in excess of £100 therefore I didn't want to have to shell out for another set of shoes so that I could change to road specific pedals and having been used to SPD and having used single sided for many years now I have not had any problems in working with them. You get used to how they act and therefore respond accordingly. That becomes as automatic as the clipping in and out and perhaps your lack of use single sided spd's means that you experience initial teething troubles which you have presumed remain permanently.

At least in my case I have this not to be the case.

I think dual sided spd pedals on road bikes are ugly and generally heavy so nothing will ever convince me to go down that route. I'd rather spend my money on road specific pedals and carbon soled road shoes.
  • whyamihere
    Actually, I do ride single sided SPD-SLs, which I do find easy to use. However, I also have MTB pedals, and the ability to just stamp on them and know I'll be clipped in is great. I wouldn't advise anyone away from single sided road pedals, as the extra security is definitely worth it. The A520s have no advantages over MTB pedals and decent shoes, so I see no point to them.
  • Ash_
    Ash_ Posts: 385
    Advantages of the Shimano A520s:

1) They look nice - like they're supposed to be road pedals (which they are).

2) They are easy to get into (like most single sided pedals, they are designed to 'hang' at a specific angle, once you've got this sussed - and it takes about three goes - you're fine. Forever. I think some people have been disparaging about this without trying them)

Disadvantages:

1) They're a touring pedal. They are designed to be used with soft, trainer or MTB-style shoes (at the very least something with a rubber / grippy sole). If you try and use them with stiff, road specific shoes, the metal contact patch around the engaging mechanism is so slippy as to be useless - so you might as well stick to double sided pedals as you'll get no benefit from switching to these.

2) That slippiness leads to annoying squeaks and grinding noises depending on whether you are climbing or sprinting which, in about a week, will drive you mad. This is also the main reason why I have a nigh-on pristine pair in my shed, not on my bike.

So - they're a touring pedal (and a good one). But they're not for road racing - which is what the original question was all about. I wouldn't recommed them.
  • eh
    eh Posts: 4,854
    Dedicated roadie clipless might have a better cornering angle clearance but if you're tilting the bike over that far you're going to slide out before you strike your pedals.

Rubbish, I've sat behind people cornering at speed who have hit the floor with Time Impacts/RXE.

Still if you are happy with your pedals as they are go road racing and give it a try, you can always change later.