1st tour - B&Bs

taylorlej
taylorlej Posts: 27
edited September 2008 in Tour & expedition
hi all,
i'm about to go on my 1st tour - through france to switzerland in 10days. i'm doing it with a couple of mates and we will be taying in b&bs - basically to avoid having to carry camping gear. i was wondering what the best way to find out about them is - is there a good website/is it just putting b&bs in... (all towns i pass through) preferably cheap ones!

any suggestions about anything - equiptment, accomodation, travelling etc would be really appreciated - im bound to forget something esential!

many thanks
Laurence

Comments

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,791
    learn franglais and wing it... go into tourist centers in morning book ahead and aim for your prebooked; bed, shower and hot meal

non pannier touring is the correct way of cycling around Europe

as for what you will need.... take virtually nothing more than a long training ride and spare lycra AND MONEY..

if you need anything buy it... use it... and if necessary post it home rather than drag it around with you..

first tour of europe i took tents and all that stuff...which is fine if your biking across Siberia or Mali but after 70 miles i was ditching stuff... camping by bike is also a false economy IME so unlesss camping is something you enjoy avoid...

nowadays i take anything as long a it fits in a ortlieb saddle bag...

DSC01118.JPG
    NO MORE THAN THIS

bar bags are ok but for group riding can be problematic. if riding bit and bit with riders who find it difficult judging the wheel distance..hence saddle bags

spd pedals so only one set of shoes...

rotate your lycra and if required buy new base layers for clean base layers, traineer liners or laundrette it..

minimal... is the key ... buy gels powders etc on the way... its Europe not the Congo.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    Well if that was intended to provoke someone into taking the bait then here goes.

God I really hate it when people present their views as the only correct option, especially when it's to a newbie who will take it as gospel rather than someone's preferences which may not suit them at all.

Travelling with only a small saddle bag is fine providing you don't mind spending the evening in the clothes you've ridden in, fine if you're only going for a week and fine if you've plenty of money, and fine if you're intending to stay well on the beaten track.

Europe may not be the Congo, but there are plenty of places in France (never mind the rest of Europe) that are wild and remote and where you need to carry food etc because the nearest cafe or restaurant is a long way away and where the nearest supermarket/pharmacy is a couple of days away. But as I say if you're happy not getting off the beaten track then that's not an issue.

Laurie - you shouldn't thave trouble finding places to stay in September. Tourist offices are a very good bet. Look out for gite d'étape (hostels) if you want a cheaper alternative or chambres d'hôtes - (B&Bs - although IME they can be more expensive than hotels).
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,791
    andymiller wrote:
    Well if that was intended to provoke someone into taking the bait then here goes.

:lol:
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • I've found the this site quite handy before:-
    http://www.myswitzerland.com/en.cfm/accommodation

Also Switzerland got an excellent netwrok of youth hostels
    http://www.youthhostelswitzerland.com/

I'd agree with Andy as well, the tourist offices are very helpful, and there is generally a good selection of b&b's
  • great, cheers guys, we'll prob have 2 panniers each on a rear rack - so not the extreeme saddle bag way but not overloaded!

i'm fluent in franglais so shouldnt be a prob - lol

real help, so thanks, if theres any more knowledge u can pass on i'd be gratefull

i was wondering about silicone gel - saw in on "the man who cycled the world" a couple of weeks ago - for saddle sores - is it worth getting? - how do u buy it cs no one in pharmacys seems to know wat i'm talking about.

thanks again
    L