What's that grinding noise?

CyclingBantam
CyclingBantam Posts: 1,299
edited September 2008 in Road beginners
Following getting back from work soaking wet tonight I was drying my bike off and noticed when I turned the peddles to make the back wheel revolve there was a grinding sound from the back wheel hub. I checked the wheel wasn't badly out of allignment and rubbing but it was fine. Can anyone suggest what could be wrong?

Thanks

Ben

Comments

• topdude
    topdude Posts: 1,557
    Hi, most likely the oil / lube has been washed out of your chain so it is grinding as you turn the pedals. Clean and dry it well and apply more lube.
    If it makes the noise when spinning the wheel backwards then most likely the hub bearings will need cleaning out and re greasing.
    He is not the messiah, he is a very naughty boy !!
  • BenBlyth wrote:
    Following getting back from work soaking wet tonight I was drying my bike off and noticed when I turned the peddles to make the back wheel revolve there was a grinding sound from the back wheel hub. I checked the wheel wasn't badly out of allignment and rubbing but it was fine. Can anyone suggest what could be wrong?

Thanks

Ben

Take the wheel off the bike and hold it by the axle then spin it....see if there is still a grinding as you tilt it around to isolate which side it is coming from.
    17 Stone down to 12.5 now raring to get back on the bike!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    remove chain does the wheel still make the noise? what about when you hold the cassette so it clicks.....?

spin the cranks with out the chain does it make the noise?

spin the cranks does it?

with the chain on does it?

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=123
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • When I rotate the wheel without the chain on I still get the noise however it is only when it runs forward. I sounds like I should have to oil it again. Does it have to be totally stripped down to do this? It is a Trek 1000 and I get the impression they are not the easiest to strip down!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    BenBlyth wrote:
    When I rotate the wheel without the chain on I still get the noise however it is only when it runs forward.
    With or without the frehub (cassette) clicking?

to see if it is wheel bearings or free hub bearings?

if it is the wheel bearings and they are the cone and cup type

How to is here. http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=105
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown