India!

jimmy6flats
jimmy6flats Posts: 50
edited September 2008 in Routes
Hi all

I am planning a trip to India this November, specifically cycling from Goa to Cochin.

Has anyone done any cycling out there? I am in the early stages of planning my trip and am wondering whether it's a good idea, whether to bring my own bike, if it's a good destination etc....

Any advice or alternate ideas are welcome!!

Cheers

Jimmy

Comments

• zeroseven
    zeroseven Posts: 347
    edited September 2008
    You'll die. I wouldn't drive a Land Rover out there never mind a bicycle

Seriously, look into this very carefully. I'm off out there again next week, could ask around if you like.
  • tmg
    tmg Posts: 651
    I would look for some official government stats on cycle related mortalities before I jump on a bike over there, that will put you off
  • I've been there many times with work and have travelled many road miles by car ..... don't do it !!
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Backpacked there. The roads are very dangerous by any standards. If you do it, go for quiet roads and be prepared for trouble! Good luck.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • I'm sitting here in Mumbai and I'm not even going to ask for you mon ami

It would be insanity

Go somewhere nice and safe like Hyde park corner covered in sheet ice at rush hour.... far safer
  • Wow, I had no idea it would be that bad. :shock:

My wife has travelled the coast roads by bus about 10 years ago (it was her idea to go cycling) and said it wasn't that bad then. Her plan was to take the dirt tracks by the beach south from Goa, and only travel inland when it was absolutely necessarry. Is it really that bad out there? Is it the local driving that is the problem?

Thanks again

Jimmy
  • The driving is terrible. The vehicles are held together with string. The roads are full of big deep holes.

I'm here filming a car commercial, trying to find anywhere with a decent, safe road is near impossible. This afternoon I'm being driven up to Pune again. Its 4 hours in a Landcruiser and I'm not looking forward to it

Lie on the beach. Enjoy life.
  • In particular bike retailers are reportedly noticing a strong rise in commuter cycling queries – unusual in a market that is regarded as primarily a leisure and sports-based one. Recently the price at the pumps hit $3.60 a gallon and the net is full of reports from bike shops across the US noting the price squeeze effect on customers coming through their doors.
    williamgeorge
    Social Media Marketing
  • In particular bike retailers are reportedly noticing a strong rise in commuter cycling queries – unusual in a market that is regarded as primarily a leisure and sports-based one. Recently the price at the pumps hit $3.60 a gallon and the net is full of reports from bike shops across the US noting the price squeeze effect on customers coming through their doors.
    williamgeorge
    Social Media Marketing

Huh?
  • zeroseven wrote:
    In particular bike retailers are reportedly noticing a strong rise in commuter cycling queries – unusual in a market that is regarded as primarily a leisure and sports-based one. Recently the price at the pumps hit $3.60 a gallon and the net is full of reports from bike shops across the US noting the price squeeze effect on customers coming through their doors.
    williamgeorge
    Social Media Marketing

Huh?

Dont think he realised the OP meant India, I expect he read it as Indiana :lol: :roll:

Oh and $3.60 a gallon is nothing!! We pay about $2.20 a litre
    Returning to MTB'ing after 13 year break: Merida Matts Sub 60d

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll59 ... G_1243.jpg
  • davetwin wrote:

Dont think he realised the OP meant India, I expect he read it as Indiana :lol: :roll:

Oh and $3.60 a gallon is nothing!! We pay about $2.20 a litre

Aha.... good spot. If the pit bull bitch from Alaska gets in we'll all be paying a high price for a lot more than fuel.

Shame moose's cant vote.... they can run for vice president
    meow.
  • passout
    I'd ask an expert Tour Operator about cycling in India. I seem to remember that a company in Kewick (KE Adventure maybe) did cycling hols in Bhutan and other places North of India. They'd probably offer some advice. Bear in mind that the Mountains and Plains of India are VERY different places though. India is so big it's hard to generalise BUT the roads & driving really are awful everywhere. The 'varaible' will be the amount of traffic. How about Malaysia?
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • Thanks for all the replies so far - I think we'll give India a miss this time around.

I haven't thought about Malaysia as we were trying not to go too far away - but if you have any good experiences of the country I'd love to hear them.

Cheers,

J
  • passout
    Not cycled there but did drive a bit (same side of the road as us). Seemed pretty orderly compared to Indai and the roads were good. A pretty developed country with some really beautiful bits. Cities were very busy though. The only really negative point is that it's so hot & humid!

Taiwan or even Japan would be worth considering. I cycled a little in Japan (around Kyoto) an loved it. Some great Mountain roads and quiet out of the cities. The cities are actually alright for cycling too but there is a bit of cycle theft. Taiwan would be good for a shorter break as its smaller.