Spinning uphill

RichardFcp
RichardFcp Posts: 155
edited September 2008 in Road beginners
I keep reading that the best way to ride hills is by spinning or twiddling the gears a la Armstrong. Now, I don't know how much he weighs, but I am shifting the best part of 15 stone uphill taking into account me plus the weight of the bike and I am usually on 34/25 very quickly. I don't know what my cadence is because I find it hard to count when the world has gone dark and my lungs are about to explode through the top of my head but I am sure it can't be above 50rpm. Any advice other than "lose 3 stone you lardy git" as to how you do this? :lol:

Comments

• oxon
    oxon Posts: 35
    lose 4 stone, sorry!

otherwise assume you are running a compact, change the cassette and or small ring at the front to give wider range of gears. Depends on how long you have been riding at what the hill climbs are (how long, grad) etc..
  • oxon
    oxon Posts: 35
    :wink:
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,632
    1. Change cassette to a 12-27.
    2. Choose less steep hills.
    3. Improve your power-to-weight ratio (Get fitter & lose weight).
    Rich
  • RichardFcp wrote:
    I keep reading that the best way to ride hills is by spinning or twiddling the gears a la Armstrong. Now, I don't know how much he weighs, but I am shifting the best part of 15 stone uphill taking into account me plus the weight of the bike and I am usually on 34/25 very quickly. I don't know what my cadence is because I find it hard to count when the world has gone dark and my lungs are about to explode through the top of my head but I am sure it can't be above 50rpm. Any advice other than "lose 3 stone you lardy git" as to how you do this? :lol:

+1 for all suggestions (inc losing 4 stone :lol: )

I use a 12/27 with a compact - for spinning up hills - 18 stone - Over 19 stone with bike. Descending is great / with the added gravity assist!

So what Richa suggests makes perfect sense.
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    What is spinning, and what is twiddling the gears??? Exactly?
  • Not everyone likes to spin up hills. In our club the bigger guys that prefer the flats and sprints prefer to turn a bigger gear at a lower cadence, whereas generally us lighter/slimmer guys turn lower gears at a higher cadence. They recognize that their forte is not climbing (except the shorter hills that can be powered up).

As others have said: fitness, weight loss and practise will make you a better climber.