bike security in lake district?

robbie7
robbie7 Posts: 292
edited September 2008 in Tour & expedition
my girlfriend and i are thinking of touring around the lake district and yorkshire dales early next year, camping most of the time but my spend the odd night in a b&b. what i really want to know is, are there any specific b&b's for cyclists? if so do they have somewhere a bit secure to lock up our steeds at night?

any help would be great
rob

Comments

• alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    I can't speak for anywhere in particular but I have invariably found B&B owners are helpful with this, usually offering some garage space or outbuilding. I still take my D-lock and cable on tour though.
  • I wouldn't get too worked up about the theft of your bikes. Although thefts happen you really have to weigh up the probabilities of you and your bikes being targetted by thieves at the B&B that you've booked. Taking a lock or two with you will make the theft of your bikes more challenging to all but the most determined thieves.

FWIW on the three occasions that I have used accommodation with brick walls when cycle touring, the owners/managers have put my bike into places that the general public didn't have access to.
  • Never had a problem either. As Vernon says, people always help of you are worried. You could check the CTC listings as well.
  • KM2
    KM2 Posts: 147
    Try Bottom Chapel in Askrigg. Bike storage inside and good hospitality.

Google Bottom Chapel, Askrigg
  • If you can't get them inside I would try to stay close by. There have been a few bikes stolen in the lakes just recentlythat I know of. 2 that were chained to a tree at Santon Bridge and 3 that were secured to a roof rack on a car at Pooley Bridge where they removed the roof rack.
  • i've never had a problem when turning up on spec but i usually book with the tourist office telling them that i have a bike; the office have this information. i arranged accomodation in scotland over 5 days from annan to glasgow; dumfries &galloawy tourist ofice booked the whole route too