Checking Tire Pressure With A Presta Valve? Help Please!

bomberharris72
bomberharris72 Posts: 44
edited September 2008 in Road beginners
I've just got a shiny SKS pump for pumping up my Presta valved road tires but am having problems knowing what pressure I am pumping to.

Obviously as soon as you stop pumping or on the return stroke the valve snaps shut and the pressure needle drops to zero.

Is the pressure correct when the needle aligns with the adjustable target pressure needle AS you pump?

I'm not going to buy a schrader adapter or whatever, just need to get my technique right.

Many thanks in advance for any replies.

Comments

• alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    as you pump, I think, at least that's what I go by.
  • Cheers,

I know it seemed like a really thick question but just want to get things right.
  • you can buy a pressure guage to push onto the valve, possibly more reliable than the pump guage
  • The gauge on the pump should retain pressure after the stroke - or at least that's what mine does (SKS Rennkompressor).
    John Stevenson
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    The gauge on the pump should retain pressure after the stroke - or at least that's what mine does (SKS Rennkompressor).

Mine keeps the pressure as well. I use a specialized floor pump.

My problem is that it take half a dozen attempts to get pump on the valve correctly.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    NWLondoner wrote:
    The gauge on the pump should retain pressure after the stroke - or at least that's what mine does (SKS Rennkompressor).

Mine keeps the pressure as well. I use a specialized floor pump.

My problem is that it take half a dozen attempts to get pump on the valve correctly.

Mine keeps pressure readings as well - Silca

Dennis Noward