Some help on a final bike choice please?

Stalker9
Stalker9 Posts: 10
edited September 2008 in MTB beginners
Hi folks,

As a lot of people are in this section, i'm brand new to the whole MTB show and have spent a lot of time reading up and getting advice on what bike to buy.

The sticky guide on this forum and a 'Dirty Dozen' feature I read from a magazine gave me lots to consider and after taking one common bit of advice from these forums, I have spent a good few weekends sitting on, poking, proding and generally checking out bikes in my price range (£400 - £450).

Now i'm down to two that I really like, but am unsure which to pick. :?

The two are GT Avalanche 1.0 and Commencal Combi Disc. Both 08 bikes.

If it helps, i'm 5' 10" and just over 11 stone in old money. I'll be using the bike for blasts on a shale track round my local lake and also trying some trail? riding in the couple of woods we have nearby.

Any advice and thoughts you can provide would be most welcome.

As for price, I have seen the Commencal for £375 and the GT for £450. I'm not bothered about the price difference really, would just like to get the best for my money.

Thanks in advance.

Simon

Comments

• BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    I have ridden both bikes - I own the GT and my uncle recently got the Commencal. Fairly similar overall - both have nice frames, similar brakes etc. The Commencal uses SRAM gearing as opposed to the Shimano - personal preference between those as both are of similar quiality. The FT has a much nicer Shimano Octalink cransket over the cheap and nasty Truvativ on the Commencal. GT also gets better forks IMO, light well damped 32mm stanchioned units as opposed to the Darts on the Commencal.

However, all of this is uminportant compared to how they ride. Have you tested either bike? Or even sat on them?
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • Hi mate,

Thanks for the fast reply.

I have indeed tried both bikes. I started with a long list which included, Specialized, Kona, Giant, Trek etc etc and just by picking which felt ok, I got down to the two i've mentioned.

However, from what you've said - which is exactly the kind of insight I was after - I take it the GT is worth the extra money for the better crankset (which is the pedal bit?) and the better forks?

Thanks again,

Simon
  • BlackSpur
    When you tried them, did one stand out as feeling better? Whilst I would say the GT is the better bike overall when they are at RRP, I'm not too sure with the Commencal having such a hefty reduction. However, if it was my money I would get the GT (assuming the Commencal didn't feel better to ride).
  • i read the dirty dozen thing you are on about in mbr, whats wrong with bthe kona blast. Out of the two there though i'd pick the avalanche cos its got the nest reviews but have a look at the kona blast because although the blast has only cable disc brakes the deluxe has dart 3's and hayes strojer hyde brakes for £75 more, you can get it for £500 of evans cycles but i think they only have one colour

Yukon Lad :)
    Drop, Berm, Jump, Sky, Sky, Sky, Sweet Beautiful Earth OUCH, OUCH,OUCH, ****! GORSE BUSH!!!

Giant Yukon FX2
    Kona Stab Deluxe 2008
  • Hi again,

It was that these two stood out from the rest. But between the two is where I get stuck.
    Neither felt better than the other although sadly I can't find anywhere within a milion miles that has both in one shop so I can hop straight from one to the other.

I think being new to this is difficult because I don't really know what to consider fit and feel wise, its just that with these two nothing felt wrong - if that makes sense.

They both just felt like I could ride off comfortably, wheras with another I tried for example, the reach to the bars felt too long and with another I felt as though there was a bit too much weight on my wrists.

I had pretty much decided on the GT but last week I saw the price of the Commencal and had previously read in MBR's Dirt Dozen feature that the Normal was there 2nd best in a £500 test.

The Combi looked even better specc'd so I thought it worth the travel to try it.

What doesn't help my choice is the price difference. If the extra is really worth spending, i'll happily do so, but if not the saving can go to getting a decent helmet, shoes and clothes.

Thanks again mate.

Simon
  • Hi Yukon,

Thanks for the advice mate.

After reading the Dirt Dozen feature, it was the first bike I tried (even though I hate green and really wanted disc brakes :lol: ) but it just felt a bit weird.

I was being really mature and putting aside colours, brakes etc etc but it was just a bit wrong somehow.

As I was saying to BlackSpur, I can't really explain why being new, but even trying other bikes and then re-trying the Kona I couldn't see myself owning one.

The good news is though, you've both leaned toward the GT which is great.

Cheers,

Simon
  • BlackSpur
    I'm glad you discounted the Kona - the spec is really quite poor for the price. However good the frame is, it it's not backed with decent parts it doesn't matter. How it won the mbr test I don't know!
  • Hi again,

At the risk of complicating my choice further, i've read pages and pages on this forum and have taken quite a fancy to the Mongoose Amasa Elite which was suggested by someone else.

This can be found for £429 which puts it squarely in my GT bracket, but I wondered how it is perceived by those that know compared to the GT?

Thanks once again.

Simon

P.S. I appreciate i'm going to have to try it out though ; )
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Very similar bikes to be honest!
  • shin0r
    shin0r Posts: 555
    You'll do ok whichever bike you choose. I'd get the GT myself.

Now stop dithering, part with your cash and get out on the trails :wink:
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    If they both feel the same to you, go for the one that looks the best! :lol:
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • Hi folks

Thanks for all the new replies.

I have finally decided on the GT and it should be in this weekend at my local Evans to pick-up - fingers crossed.

Thanks for all your help,

Simon

P.S. You're sure I shouldn't go for the Commencal then..... :wink: