Giant SCR 1.5

RossOliver
RossOliver Posts: 10
edited September 2008 in Road beginners
Hey,

I'm looking to get into road cycling mainly for fitness reasons and a change of scene from my usual running (worried I'm going to scupper my joints).

I have a budget of about £500 and I have found a Giant SCR 1.5 for this price. Can anyone recommend a better buy for my money, or does anyone have any comments on this particular bike? I can't seem to find any reviews on it, which worries me slightly :roll:

I notice the 'What road bike' thread recommends the SCR 2 or 3 (I'm guessing it doesn't recommend the 1 or 1.5 due to the price when the article was written?). Should I be looking at a different bike for my particular needs - I'm looking to cycle for about an hour a day, perhaps longer on the weekends (this is my current running schedule) and the area around where I live can be quite hilly... also I work with computers and since I spend so much time sitting on a chair with poor posture I can get back pains now and then (one of the reasons the SCR appeals to me since the 'What road bike' thread indicates 'relaxed geometry')...

Thanks for your time,

-Ross

Comments

• DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    BUY THE BIKE!!!!

The entire SCR range is top notch except for the tyres. The only reason why the SCR 2 and 3 are highly recommended is because at the price (£550rrp for the SCR 2 and £450rrp for the SCR3) they are arguably market leaders in terms of value for money.

When you start going up the price range i.e. £650, which is the retail price of the SCR 1.5, other makes/models become competitive like the Allez Sport, whatever Trek is offering, Bianchi etc.

That you can stillfind a SCR 1.5 let at that price is impressive. Another reason to buy is that the SCR is an outgoing model and the range replacing it is going to cost £100 more. I.e. the equivalent Giant SCR - the Giant Defy 2 is going to cost around £750. You probably won't be able to find a bike carbon fork, tiagra groupset and proper carbon fibre seat post for less than £600 in 2009 proper.

The SCR geometry is indeed relaxed and very comfortable. You aren't stretched out and are quite upright.

I'm a SCR 3 owner and very very very happy.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • ris
    ris Posts: 392
    +1 to DonDaddyD

if you are confident that the size you are buying is right then i'd take the offer up. giant bikes appear to be having a 2009 range price hike, so you probably won't get a similar spec for the money in an 09 bike.

the scr range is well regarded, giant's reputation is reliable ('toyota' was a name i heard on an australian forum :wink:). for 500quid i think you'd be getting fantastic value for money.
  • Sounds like this is the one I'll go for then :)

The website only has it in one size, which is with a 55cm frame - according to what I've read about my inside leg size (33") and my height (5' 11.5") this seems to luckily be the correct size frame for me...

Can you recommend better tires to upgrade to? Would that make a noticeable improvement?

Thanks again,

-Ross
  • DonDaddyD
    RossOliver wrote:
    Sounds like this is the one I'll go for then :)

The website only has it in one size, which is with a 55cm frame - according to what I've read about my inside leg size (33") and my height (5' 11.5") this seems to luckily be the correct size frame for me...

Can you recommend better tires to upgrade to? Would that make a noticeable improvement?

Thanks again,

-Ross

As to size, I'm 5ft 10.5 (basically 5ft 11 but the doctor won't give me that) and I have a Large frame size SCR. I don't have short legs mostly everything is proportionate. A large is most likely to fit you.

As for tyres If you want to notice the difference use the tyres that come with the bike for about a week or at least until your first puncture. Then promptly upgrade to Continental GP4000s. I mostly commute, they roll well (for the commuter racing game that no one plays... :roll: ) and they grip well, I think the quality is more noticable in the wet than dry as I have nearly the same levels of grip in the wet as I do in the dry.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • I've got an SCR 1 and thoroughly recommend the SCR range. From what I can see the only differences between the 1.5 and the 2 are a carbon seatpost and a compact chainset on the more expensive model. The frame is essentially the same (and very good). The 1 has lighter wheels and a 105 groupset. They all have 26c tyres, which are not everyone's choice. Given the state of most Scottish roads, I'm actually quite happy with the fatter rubber.

There's some good online deals for the 1.5 at the mo. It's a lot of bike for the money.

It looks like the DEFY range will be considerably more expensive and possibly with a lower spec like for like (this seems to be a common issue with all 2009 ranges due to component price increases).

Therefore, get the SCR - it's a bargain.
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    It sounds like a Large should fit you fine.

The compact (twin) chainset is the main difference between the SCR 1.5 (previously known as SCR Limited) and the SCR 2. All the SCRs are terrific value IMHO, I've been very happy with mine.

The Kenda tyres aren't a disaster so don't dismiss them outright, but they aren't the best for preventing the p-word. Bontrager Hardcase, Armadillo and Gatorskins would be better for this, while larger width tyres (25 or 28mm) provide slightly more comfort than the more commonly fitted 23mm. A few people have poor examples of the stock Alex/Formula wheels but so far I've not had any problems with mine.

The 1.5 is supplied without pedals. If you decide for clipless I'd suggest a SPD pedal like the Shimano M520, often used by people who also ride a mountain bike. Otherwise there is an array of cleat types and shoes to choose. I'd recommend visiting a shop to try shoes on if you can.

Hope you enjoy riding your bike.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • i have a scr2 but if i had the chance again i would get a scr 1.5 or scr1.Better components dont get a triple chainset as in the scr2 get the double,thats my 2 cent advice.By the way the scr range is fantastic.
  • Well, I bit the bullet and ordered earlier today - thanks for all the advice :)

I noticed the bike doesn't come with pedals, so rather than order them online I think I'll take your advice and go and try some on - along with a helmet...

Guess I'll just have to sit on my hands until it arrives now :roll:

Thanks again,

-Ross
  • DonDaddyD
    RossOliver wrote:
    Well, I bit the bullet and ordered earlier today - thanks for all the advice :)

I noticed the bike doesn't come with pedals, so rather than order them online I think I'll take your advice and go and try some on - along with a helmet...

Guess I'll just have to sit on my hands until it arrives now :roll:

Thanks again,

-Ross
    Pedals and Shoes:

In terms of sheer savings I would say:

Pedals & shoes

Basically the discounted price at Ribble is like your getting an item free when you add up the actual retail price.

Helmets, I'd say go to a shop try out a variety get the one that best fits your head. Nothing worse than a poorly fitting helmet, not because of the "its dangerous and save your life as well" (though it most likely won't but I'm not starting that argument here) but you'll only end up messing with it when riding or the lack of comfort will distract you and that is dangerous.
    Food Chain number = 4

• Thanks for the links - although I don't think I could plunge into buying some shoes online without trying them first... too much money to risk having them not fit comfortably. Maybe I can find them in a local store and then purchase online...

Are the Shimano a kind of de-facto standard in terms of their cleats and what not?

-Ross
  • DonDaddyD
    RossOliver wrote:
    Thanks for the links - although I don't think I could plunge into buying some shoes online without trying them first... too much money to risk having them not fit comfortably. Maybe I can find them in a local store and then purchase online...

Are the Shimano a kind of de-facto standard in terms of their cleats and what not?

-Ross

Go to Evans Cycles they have the shoes there for about £59.99.
    Food Chain number = 4

• The closest Evan's Cycles to me is about 50 miles away in Kendal, so the cost of transportation there will undo any deal they have I imagine...

I'll have a hunt round my local bike shops to see what they stock I think...

Cheers