Are you insured?

zeroseven
zeroseven Posts: 347
edited September 2008 in Commuting chat
If you cause an RTA are you insured or happy to lose your house ?

Comments

• biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Got an agenda much?
  • CTC member.
    I've forgotten my PIN for the pain barrier.
  • JoeSoap76
    JoeSoap76 Posts: 109
    zeroseven wrote:
    you're house ?
    Afraid not.

This is me:

97206032248baf9fb2b27f.jpg

This is House:

House-MD-Hugh-Laurie-Dr.-Gregory-House-1481.jpg

Oh, and House never loses!

(sorry - couldn't resist :twisted: )
  • boybiker
    boybiker Posts: 531
    Yep British cycling member so I am insured for 10 million of your Earth pounds,also I don't have a house.
    I suspect that the OP has a hidden agenda, not thats its very hidden.
    The gear changing, helmet wearing fule.
    FCN :- -1
    Given up waiting for Fast as Fupp to start stalking me
  • biondino
    CTC member as well, fwiw.
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    British Cycling Member !
  • karl j
    karl j Posts: 517
    ctc
    Morning route (when i don't get the train)

Evening route ,
  • AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393
    zeroseven wrote:
    If you cause an RTA are you insured or happy to lose you're house ?

I'll loose my house with pleasure ... though I don't think the housing association that owns will be too happy. :roll:
    Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    What is this cycle insurance I keep hearing about? I'm sure that my household insurance covers my bike but I don't have anything specific.

Does anyone have any suggestions of who to go with, how much I should expect to pay for a bike worth £450 - £500 and what is actually covered?

As a side note: Wow, when did people start insuring bikes to cover the accidents they caused? Back when I was a kid if you rode your very heavy steel bike into a car you simply got back up and rode off as quick as possible to avoid the kick-in the car owner would surely give for denting his car....
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • girv73
    girv73 Posts: 842
    For those of us not BC or CTC members, what other insurance options are available?
    Today is a good day to ride
  • No agenda at all ........WTF you on about? Think I'm an insurance salesman? :lol:

Its a serious question. If you injure someone the compensation could be £100k's so do you have insurance, lose your house or evrything you earn for the rest of your life?

Its a serious question, I increasingly shocked at the disregard cyclists in London have and its going to happen very soon. We live in a world of blame and litigation.
  • CTC and BC don't insure your bike for theft, but they do insure cyclists in cases of road traffic accidents, and they provide free legal advice is such cases
  • boybiker wrote:
    CTC and BC don't insure your bike for theft, but they do insure cyclists in cases of road traffic accidents, and they provide free legal advice is such cases

Sounds good. Wonder what percentage of riders are covered. Think it should be law?
  • AndyManc
    zeroseven wrote:
    boybiker wrote:
    CTC and BC don't insure your bike for theft, but they do insure cyclists in cases of road traffic accidents, and they provide free legal advice is such cases

Sounds good. Wonder what percentage of riders are covered. Think it should be law?

Yeah you do have an agenda ...........never mind what the f*** you on about :evil:
    Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • zeroseven wrote:
    Think it should be law?
    Interesting discussion point. It will raise all sorts of questions: would this only apply to people using 'vehicles' on the road (horse riders? People crossing the road? Individuals distracting drivers from the pathway?) or all people, including pedestrians? Would it require some kind of registration process (and associated costs) to track insurance and allow claims when an individual doesn't stop? What about 'children' who ride on the road - where does the liability lie? I am sure that others will raise more.

Personally, my wife and I have the CTC cover (since last Tuesday) as we particularly wanted the 3rd party and legal claims assistance cover (although we may have that through other schemes such as our union membership and/or house and/or car insurances), but I would not have considered it worth paying (or even investigating) as a casual rider. Perhaps after a high profile case I would change my mind.

I can only assume that, at present, the cost:benefit analysis by the government has shown that, although in particular situations individuals would benefit from insurance/legal cover, the overall costs on society associated with enforcing a blanket requirement for insurance (and the practicalities of enforcing it) outweigh the benefits. We may even be in the 'tobacco' situation where, if we were starting from scratch we wouldn't allow uninsured riders - but the practicalities of the current situation would make it prohibitive (in terms of financial and political costs) to enforce. I would imagine that those who are most likely not to conform are the casual rider, who uses their bike at most an hour or so a week, or (non-cycling parents of) children.

A further discussion point - would this then have to be a Europe-wide imposition?

By the way - a heavy discussion to start late on a Sunday evening!

Stuart
  • AndyManc
    There are a number of countries that levy a tax ( often on 4 wheeled road users ) to cover any claims against cyclists .

Other countries also place the onus on car drivers for road safety when it comes to incidents with cyclists.

How many cyclists have ever lost their homes ( or sizable amount of cash ) after being sued ? NONE.

How many car drivers have been taken to court after killing through dangerous driving and given a paltry fine ? LOTS.

I've said it before , be wary of some people on these forums that clearly have an agenda .
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    CTC cover and extra cover via house insurance too.

We iz well cuvvered man.
  • I even know someone who successfully used the legal services of BC after he was involved in an accident which wasn't his fault and he managed to get some compensation from the driver and got a new bike out of it so its well worth getting insured even if you only use your bike for commuting.
  • I am insured with my home and contents cover, but don't have third party cover. Never really thought about it to be honest.
  • And what might that agenda be AndyManc

I'll ask again WTF are you on about?

Come on here to ask a serious and important question and get retards wanting to mouth off

Grow up
  • biondino
    Oh come on, you must be able to see that your original question was loaded. Why didn't you just ask "does anyone here have third party bike insurance?"

BUT ANYWAY it's a good topic and not worth fighting over so I'm sure there's no agenda - let's get on with the discussion. I kind of think it maybe should be obligatory, perhaps built into the cost of a new bike so that a) people don't have to be proactive about organising it themselves and b) aren't so aware of it being an extra cost they might resent.
  • It seems to me increasingly likely that somebody will be involved in say, a pedestrian collision which I think happened recently? If the family tales that guy to court in a civil action he could be liable for £100k's

Amazed its not happened already

But you're right, where does it all stop? Walked around the trails at Woburn Sands today with the dogs. If my dog causes a trail rider to be injuered, am I liable? I would expect so. Bye bye house.
  • biondino wrote:
    Oh come on, you must be able to see that your original question was loaded..

Er... no actaully. Not in any way whatsoever

Paranoid? :lol:

Peace 8)
  • yep - BC insurance here. Partly for the 3rd party-ness of it, partly cos it gives me coaching indemnity.
  • zeroseven wrote:
    It seems to me increasingly likely that somebody will be involved in say, a pedestrian collision which I think happened recently? If the family tales that guy to court in a civil action he could be liable for £100k's

Amazed its not happened already

But you're right, where does it all stop? Walked around the trails at Woburn Sands today with the dogs. If my dog causes a trail rider to be injuered, am I liable? I would expect so. Bye bye house.

Yes you would be liable for your dog biting, but interestingly it comes under your house insurance, or if not that then your pet insurance (if you have it).

If, however, your dog was off the lead in a public place and bit or even scared someone, that is apparently illegal and no insurance will save you.

Learnt the hard way...

And I do wonder what would happen, it's a valid question. Never really thought about it!

• Yes you would be liable for your dog biting, but interestingly it comes under your house insurance, or if not that then your pet insurance (if you have it).
    If, however, your dog was off the lead in a public place and bit or even scared someone, that is apparently illegal and no insurance will save you.

Yes I'd expect to be held liable for my dog biting obviously..... (all dogs should be muzzled in public places anyway :evil: )

I was thinking more if there was a collision between dog and cyclist. Where I was this morning there were small signs warning that the area was frequented by cyclists. If my dog was in collision with a bike therefore does the sign make me liable? You'd like to think common sense applied...... fat chance.

Anyway, all beside the point really.

Would love to know what percentage of cyclists have public liability insurance. The responses on here are encouraging however.
  • zeroseven wrote:

I was thinking more if there was a collision between dog and cyclist. Where I was this morning there were small signs warning that the area was frequented by cyclists. If my dog was in collision with a bike therefore does the sign make me liable? You'd like to think common sense applied...... fat chance.

Anyway, all beside the point really.

It is beside the point, yes, but out of interest if your dog was on a lead and there was a collision then unless you were behaving really bizarrely the cyclist would probably be considered at fault.

If your dog was not on a lead then that would be your fault.
  • sc999cs
    sc999cs Posts: 596
    CTC.

Is this a way of distinguishing 'real cyclists' from 'people on bikes' in that we read Bike Radar, and are responsible enough to make sure we do have 3rd party insurance?

Steve C
    Steve C

• ...... unless you were behaving really bizarrely.....

Could happen.... I have an agenda apparently

:roll:

Why "Lost in Though"? Do you always look a bit dopey?
  • biondino
    Haha! You really do have a way with words! If it's not intentional you should probably have a bit of a look at your rhetoric and maybe cut the apparent passive aggression...