Maximum size forks on kona hardtail?

redrook
redrook Posts: 12
edited September 2008 in MTB general
I have a Kona dirt jumper, great bike but i want to use it more for heavy trail/freeride stuff, so i would like to fit bigger forks. It has 100mm marzocchi DJs on it now. I was thinking it could maybe take 140mm ok, but how big could i go without ruining the geometry? and/or damaging the bike?

cheers.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    redrook wrote:
    I have a Kona dirt jumper,

What model?

and even without this info i would not be wanting to use a 140mm fork on a frame designed to work with a 100mm fork.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • redrook
    redrook Posts: 12
    nicklouse wrote:
    What model?.

2007 Shred but all models have clump 7005 frames. Also i have the XL 17.5 frame, which sits as high as a regular 19" frame.
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    Three things you need to ask yourself -

1) Why do you need the extra travel?
    2) Is your frame designed to a limit - i.e. will it affect your warranty?
    3) Do you know what the effects will be.

Going from 100mm to 140mm will SERIOUSLY upset the handling, unless the frame is designed to accomodate these sizes which I doubt that it is.

DJ frames are usually designed with a steep(ish) head angle and for rigid or short travel (typically 80mm to 100mm) forks. However, John Cowan, Kona's sponsored DJ rider has a lot of input in their frame design and I know that he prefers them to have slacker head angle, so you're at a disadvantage already (the 2008 Shred had a 69 degree head angle irrespective of frame size - compare that to the DMR Sidekick which has a 71 degree head angle).

Increasing the length of the forks decreases the head angle by 1 degree - so add 40mm to your forks and you're looking at a 67 degree head tube which is straying into DH territory. In addition, you will raise the BB height of your bike which will mean that the centre of gravity is higher up (never a good thing) and your wheelbase will increase. In short, your bike will handle like a pissed-up pig on roller skates both on the ground and in the air.

My advice would be not to bother. If you REALLY need 140mm travel, then you need a frame that can handle it properly
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic