new road biker - ouch bad knees after 100 miles

MontBelzoni
MontBelzoni Posts: 13
edited September 2008 in Road beginners
i'm 41 / 11stone & go to the gym twice a week (reasonably fit)

got a road bike approx 6 weeks ago and covered 100 mles. (longest trip 20mies)

knees are now very uncomfortable and have been getting worse after each ride

also knees click a lot while walking!

what have i done :oops:

Comments

• biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Do you have clipless pedals with cleats? If so that's likely it.

The bikeradar articles on knee problems are excellent - have a look:

http://www.bikeradar.com/fitness/articl ... ance-17010
    http://www.bikeradar.com/fitness/articl ... rt-2-17445
  • fizz
    fizz Posts: 483
    Sounds like you have strained something if its sore and getting worse, then stay off the bike and go and get checked out by the Dr.

theres loads of things that can contribute to it, but you wanna make sure that your seating position on the bike is correct and that you arent forcing your feet / knees into an unatural position if you are using clipless pedals / shoes.
  • yes it is first time with clipless pedals

i have stopped riding the bike now

thanks for the links to the articles - will have a read up

will also see my doctor in the mean time

thanks
  • Or, better, a sports physio. Probably a couple of weeks of exercise will sort it out.

Check seat height, etc and don't use too low a gear.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    If your knees are clicking as you walk, it sounds like you might have done something to one of the menisci (commonly called cartilage) You may have done the damage already and the cycling's exacerbated it.

Are the knees swollen at all and feel stiff?

See your GP, see if you can be referred to a sports physio.
    Give the bike a rest
    When you do feel able to return to cycling, build it up gradually and include rest days, and as already mentioned, don't push too hard a gear. Try to maintain a cadence of 80-90 rpm by selecting the right gear.

I speak as one recovering from knee surgery as a result of cartilage damage. Cycling is the most comfortable exercise I can do, but I make very sure the bike is set up correctly.
  • brit66
    brit66 Posts: 350
    When recovered, put the normal pedals back on and wear trainers. Doing this might identify whether your cleated shoes are responsible.
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    Get your bike set up properly, by someone who knows what they're doing. If this has already been done for you go back and tell the LBS of your problems and they can fine tune and re-adjust your positon.

I know we've not had the warmest of summers, so it could just be that your knees are getting cold, knee warmers my help.
  • yes i agree- its your position on the bike - are your cleats fixed or do they allow movement?
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'