Truvativ firex crank removal on orange 5 help

dErZ
dErZ Posts: 152
edited September 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
Wanting to remove my cranks, ive take off the left side cap and bolt behind it and threaded in my ccp2 crank puller but it doesnt want to come out?? am i doing something wrong? or do i have the wrong crank puller?

Please help as its stopped raining ;)

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    do you have an external bottom bracket and was the first bolt a big one(about 16mm) and the second an 8mm bolt?

if so, put them both back on and undo the 8mm bolt on its own, this will push against the big nut and self extract, as is its purpose.
  • dErZ
    Sheepsteeth thanx for the reply. the outer is a 10mm and the inner is an 8mm do i need a ccp2 or ccp 4?
  • Anonymous
    i might be giving you a bum steer here mate, my instructions only apply to the crankset with ecternal bearings. what kind of bottom bracket have you got, infact, what yr is your 5?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    You don't need a crank extractor if it is a self extracting crank bolt.

This any use?

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=95#sram
  • dErZ
    its an 07 orange.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
  • Anonymous
    its in the title, an orange 5, and yes the smaller bolt is the crank extractor, put the whole thing back together then unfasten just the smaller 8mm bolt, it will pull the crank off fnaar fnaar
  • dErZ
    Bugger and bugger, it seems ive stripped the thread http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y90/de ... GE_038.jpg
    I put the key in and then threaded the ccp 2 in and started turning but it just stripped it :(

but im confused as reading on the park tool website link that supersonic linked it states

"The X-type right side crank has a one-key release system. The retaining cap use a left-hand thread, and is secured to the arm with a 10mm hex wrench. It is not necessary to remove the one-key system. To remove the arm, use a 8mm hex wrench on the crank bolt and turn counter-clockwise. One-key system will remove arm from the spindle. After removing the right arm, pull the left arm to remove. It may be necessary to use a mallet and tap spindle to free the arm."

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y90/de ... GE_040.jpg
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    can you refit the 10mm keyed locking ring?

refit it and then undo the 8mm SELF EXTRACTING" bolt.

NO tools needed other that the bolt and ring as fitted.

if you can not then remove the 8mm bolt and smack the crap out of it and go and buy ned cranks.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • dErZ
    I have refitted the internal 8mm locking nut and i also rethreaded the 10mm external cup.

I dont understand tbh, I thought by leaving the 8mm install and then using the cpp2 it would push the crank arm out the other side ???
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    NO you do not use ANY tools.

the 8mm bolt pulls the arm off.

all that has appened is you have tried to pull the threads out of the arm.

how can pushing on a bolt that holds the arm on remove it?

full fitting and removal info can be downloaded from srams webby.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • dErZ
    Ok so once ive taken the 10mm and the 8mm out your saying the crank arm will just come out? rubber mallet styley?

http://www.sram.com/_media/techdocs/200 ... 5-r5-e.pdf
  • Anonymous
    edited August 2008
    put both bolts back on, then unfasten the 8mm bolt, i think ive written that 3 times now.
  • dErZ
    Once the monsoon stops ill try again ;)

Thanx for your help
  • j_me
    j_me Posts: 7
    1) put everything back together as it was
    2) put ALL your tools back in the shed with the exception of yout 8mm hex
    3) undo the 8mm bolt....yep keep turning it....it'll take your crank off
    4) done....go get the rest of your tools
  • 1340jas
    1340jas Posts: 217
    If you have trouble following the above instructions.
    1. Put all your tools back in the shed, including the 8mm allen key.
    2. Take your bike to the LBS.

I had trouble figuring mine out, but follwed the Park tools page. It didn't make sense at first to me either, but does work. just keep turning anti clockwise on the 8mm bolt.
  • dErZ
    All done now :) thanx for everyones help.