clipless mtb pedals and shoes

PeterClark
PeterClark Posts: 23
edited September 2008 in MTB buying advice
Hello all,

Im new here and getting back into mountain biking again.
Ive just got a Giant XTC 4.5 to replace a ageing rockhopper comp and am pleased with it apart from the toe clips which i dont like so Ive been looking into clipless pedals.
Im not really looking to spend to much, but am slightly baffled with the different varieties of pedal. I want something that will endure but that isnt overly expensive.

I was looking at some Shimano M520 pedals and Shimano Mt40 shoes just from a price point of view but am not really sure if they are ideal.

The type of riding ill be doing is fairly technical in the lake district if thats appliable.

Cheers.

Comments

• owenchis
    owenchis Posts: 15
    shimano dx shoes are good i ride in the lakes a lot and they suit it fine in the winter found them a bit hot in summer a good price too!!!
  • S_J_P
    S_J_P Posts: 908
    Shimano clipless pedal are virtually the de-facto standard (though I'm sure others may disagree!)

Shimano pedals aren't the lightest or most "bling", but they're effective and durable. They also come with tension adjustment and a two different cleat designs (standard where you twist your heel outwards to release) and multi-release (where as the name suggests, you can release by swinging out, in, or even up if you pull hard enough!)) You'll ahve to pay extra (around £8 ) for a set of multi-release cleats though.

I tend to run standard cleats on my summer shoes, and multi-release on my winter boots.

You won't find a better offer than Merlin Cycles Shimano MT51 shoes and M520 pedals for £49.95.

The MT51's are comfy trail shoes, and have won a great deal of shoe tests and roundups. I find them great, but they're too warm for me in mid summer.
  • starsky007
    starsky007 Posts: 185
    i use m520 pedals and addidas el moro shoes. every other day for around 20miles off road and they are great.
    nice new giant trance 3
    also ht coyote
    s-works epic 2008.
  • K88 MUD
    K88 MUD Posts: 101
    edited August 2008
    Im watching this thread as i too am looking at going for clipless shoes and pedals.
    Looking for a mtb riding partner............
  • johnsav
    johnsav Posts: 775
    i went SPD this year and i love it! feels funny at first but the amount of extra power you can release is brilliant.
  • S_J_P
    The initial change to clipless can be scary, but it absolutely transforms your riding. I feel physically unstable and insecure when I ride with plain shoes, and have just swapped my caged-SPD's (M545's) for non-caged M520's so that I don't try to ride unclipped any more!

It ensures your feet are always in the right position on the pedals (none of this instep-peddling nonsense!), allows you to pull-up as well as pushing down, and simplifies things like bunny-hopping as you can physically life the bike.

The biggest benefit of course is being able to clip you muddy and wet shoes to the pedals for the drive home, air-drying them in the process :wink:
  • thankyou all for your replies.

Ive folllowed your advice S_J_P and got myself those MT51 shoes and M520 pedals, seems like a good deal!
  • S_J_P
    Shimano shoes tend to come up a little on the small side, so going a (Euro) size up is usually worthwhile.

Make sure you read up on how to align the cleats to make sure you fit them properly for your feet, and put anti-seize compound or at the very least grease on the bolts or they'll be a royal pain to ever remove!

Hope you get on with them!
  • rob13
    rob13 Posts: 430
    Im thinking of getting some but I dont know if I dare to risk buying shoes over the net. Surely its a better bet to try them on and see how they feel?
  • S_J_P
    Your best option (if a little cheeky :wink: ) is to try-on in a shop, then buy over the 'net.

I have three pairs of Shimano shoes, so I know what size suits me :)
  • cjw
    cjw Posts: 1,889
    Why not try on in the shop AND take the internet price with you. Then ask the shop to match. If they won't they buy on internet and they have lost a sale, but give them the chance.
    London to Paris Forum
    http://cjwoods.com/london2paris

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • S_J_P
    Shimano MT51's are likely to be replaced shortly, so shops may well be willing to do a deal before the new stock comes in 8)
  • mhuk
    mhuk Posts: 327
    There are MT41s and M520 at cycle express for £49 (10% off if you spend over £50).
  • S_J_P
    The MT51's must be better though, they have a higher number :shock:
  • I have been using the shimano M520 pedals for the last year, cheap and cheerful, did exactly what they said they would do on the tin and I couldn't complain, didn't take too long to get used to from flat pedals.

Recently bought a new bike that cam with CrankBrothers Custom Candy C pedals, they can be had for a similar, if only a little more price, but they feel far superior, they engage easier, and release much quicker, which might be useful if your new to them.

Cleats will fit shimano shoes so no problems there, give them a go.

:)
  • higher number is always better... apart from when it comes to airport terminals!

ive been a complete cretin and ordered 41euro size shoes... im a 46 in walking shoes. I forgot to change the size. Looks like ill be phoning them tomorow with a embarassing statement. :shock:
  • strodey
    strodey Posts: 481
    You won't find a better offer than Merlin Cycles Shimano MT51 shoes and M520 pedals for £49.95.

Great offer, you don't want to go mad incase you dont get on with clipless! i'm sure you'll be fine though, less dangerous than toe clips
    Carbon is a mans best freind