A few questions for people who commute. please fill in.

cash77
cash77 Posts: 11
edited September 2008 in Commuting chat
hey just a few easy questions for you to answer for my work, iv filled one in myself after cycling around, i just need a lot more of peoples opinions and answers. appreciate if people did these. thanks

1. How long do you commute to work?

2. If yes how long is your commute?

3. Do you use any safety equipment?

4. If so what equipment so you use?

5. Does wearing safety equipment encourage you to cycle on the road with more confidence?

6. Making yourself noticed on the road is vital to your safety but such equipment such as the bell is not as much affective to cars as cars are now louder, music blaring out and traffic noise. How do you make yourself known to car drivers so that they see and notice you on the road or is it just a risk you have to take and hope the driver uses his mirrors?

7. Have you been in any minor or major accidents with cars cycling on the road?

8. If so what was the cause?

9. Was there anyway to prevent it?

10. In your opinion what to you is the most dangerous part of cycling – cars taking over, junctions cars turning left or roundabouts?

11. How do you make yourself notice to drivers to tell them where you are and what exit you are going to while cycling on a roundabout?

12. Do you think that the risk of being hit by a vehicle is more likely to be based on the car driver awareness? Depending how busy the traffic is? Not making yourself more noticed? Or a combination of all?

Comments

• ris
    ris Posts: 392
    1. approx 55mins each way.
    2. approx 15miles each way.
    3. yes
    4. helmet, front and rear lights. high viz or bright coloured clothing. no bell, no reflectors (naughty lawbreaking type)
    5. probably, yes.
    6. road positioning, frequent checks behind, try to get eye contact with motorists.
    7. yes.
    8. one incident a chap turned across me into a already full side road and so ended up parked in front of me. i came off under braking and rolled into the side of the car.
    9. not really, if i'd been travelling more slowly (i was at about 20mph) i would have had more braking time, but i still think i would have come off. i had my light on flash mode (it was summer, but still a habit i have), but wasn't wearing bright colours. i've tried to make sure i do more often as a result.
    10. from that list: roundabouts.
    11. i take the lane so that i can't be cut up.
    12. combination. i try to be as bright and well positioned to give myself and drivers an opportunity to react if needed. busy traffic is often slower can be less dangerous.
  • STEFANOS4784
    STEFANOS4784 Posts: 4,109
    1.approx 10 miles e/w
    2. 35-40 mins e/w
    3. yes
    4. helmet, reflectors
    5. yes
    6. frequent checks, torrents of verbal abuse
    7. yes 1
    8. man driving bmw was to big for him to see properly side swiped me when turning
    9. yes, ban people from driving cars un-less they can see over the steering wheel properly
    10. cars passing to closely,
    11. hog the whole road just incase, give way, hand signals, road positioning
    12. combination of all but mostly drivers awareness that there could be obsticals that ne wont necessarily notice in a car, ie pot holes at side of road
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    Hey Cash, I'll chip in:

1. journey time for me is 25 minutes each way.
    2. 6 miles
    3. Yes
    4. Helmet, goggles (for bugs and insects), and good quality gloves
    5. Yes. I dont fear cutting my hands up as much if I were to come off
    6. I have used a bell in the past for pedestrians, but on the roads I have had to shout a warning (no swearing unless they REALLY scare me)
    7. Only minor. Car overtook me in a 30 zone, going too fast and too close and clipped my sleeve (yellow flourescent jacket) with the wing mirror as it went past. Luckily I wasnt gripping too hard and no damage done.
    8. driver impatience and error, I was a foot and a bit away from the kerb at the time, wearing yellows and had me lights on because of the rain. It was also daylight.
    9. Not really on my part
    10. Driver impatience or lack of concentration to me is the most dangerous
    11. Constantly check behind before pulling out, hand signals, using lights in poor weather or the dark and yellows. Not much else you can do
    12. The risk of being hit can be down to anything. To me car drivers are the worst offenders for not paying attention or being to hasty.
  • TrailandTrack.co.uk
    edited August 2008
    1. 45 Mins
    2. 9 Miles (Approx - depending on which route I take)
    3. Yes
    4. Helmet, front/rear lights
    5. Yes - especially on dual carraigeways
    6. Try and catch the drivers eye by looking into their mirrors, the old saying that you get the feeling someone is watching you does seem to work. (most of the time)

7. No

8. -

9. -

10. Cars overtaking then pulling in close to the kerb in front of you, especially at traffic lights, which then makes it difficult to get past on the inside. Ive resorted to muttering at drivers as I go past their passenger window.

11. wave my hand about, although I have seen indicators for bikes available - look like a good idea

12. In most cases it can be a combination of all, however, in most cases I would say it is driver awareness - especially if they are not cyclists when not driving. When I am behind the wheel I do look around more - how many drivers do you know who actually use their passenger wing mirror after their driving lessons?
  • 1. About 1hr 45mins total each way into Central London
    2. 28 miles each way, although sometimes train it back
    3. No, other than lights. I always wear glasses with interchangeable lenses and leather gloves but more for comfort than for safety.
    4. N/A
    5. N/A
    6. I don't think that's a valid question. I don't use a hi-viz jacket or helmet and don't have a bell, but equally I don't just hope that drivers will notice me. Rather, I assume they won't. Road positioning, changing position slightly before coming to a junction where a car is waiting to pull out, confidence and awareness, eye contact, appreciating blind spots, etc are more important than safety equipment IMO. Reliance on safety equipment to be seen is very dangerous.
    7. No, not in 40 years. Touch wood.
    8. N/A
    9. N/A
    10. Filtering up the inside of stationery or slow-moving traffic, whether there is a "cycle lane" or not. Getting wound up about drivers doing stupid or dangerous things.
    11. Take the primary position, exactly as a car. Hand signals. Keep looking 360 degrees. Keep up a good pace.
    12. Any or all of these. But the more road aware, experienced and confident the cyclist the lower the risk of an incident. I haven't had any remotely close incidents in the last year or so, but maybe I'm just lucky.
  • hugo15
    hugo15 Posts: 1,101
    1. 30-35 mins each way
    2. 9.3 miles each way
    3. Yes
    4. Helmet.
    5 not really.
    6 I try to catch the eye of drivers. I also assume that they are all idiot car drivers who haven't seen me until they prove otherwise by stopping. I also ride quite defensively and will slow down if I think a car hasn't seen me as there will only be one loser!
    7 No
    8 -
    9 -
    10 Cars passing too close
    11 Sit up tall and give big hand signals, not just a quick point. Get in primary position.
    12 Car driver awareness. Usually the difference between a dangerous pass and a safe pass is only a matter of seconds for a driver, but we are always in too much of a hurry.

Just out of interest, what are you using the answers to these questions for?
  • gb155
    gb155 Posts: 2,048
    1. 30 Mins Each Way

2. 7 miles each way

3. No

4. N/A

5 N/A

6 Im over 20 stone, If they hit me then thier car will be in a bad state, They seem to give me a fair bit of room.

7 No, But I fell off on the driveway at work, not paying attention to slippy moss lol

8 -

9 -

10 Cars passing too close

11 I use the bridge over the roundabout (Denton, Manchester) Its the only one I use.

12 Car driver awareness.

EDIT:Typos
    On a Mission to lose 20 stone..Get My Life Back

December 2007 - 39 Stone 05 Lbs

July 2011 - 13 Stone 12 Lbs - Cycled 17851 Miles

http://39stonecyclist.com
    Now the hard work starts.
  • Beeblebrox
    Beeblebrox Posts: 145
    1. 45min-1hour
    2. 12.5miles
    3. Yes
    4. Helmet, day-glow/hi-vis, 2x red LED back lights, 1x front white LED light
    5. The lights probably help
    6. Ride in a noticeable position, I do little in-town riding so mainly I want to be seen by cars behind me.
    7. Not really *touch wood*
    8. n/a
    9. n/a
    10.Roundabouts/junctions
    11. Primary riding position and a glare that is coming along nicely
    12. Combination, you'd have to pretty under illuminated for 90% of cars not to see you, but you only need one to ignore you
  • I think someone is doing a school or university project!
  • AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393
    I don't like it ... and I'm not doing it ... so there :roll:
    Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • karl j
    karl j Posts: 517
    1. How long do you commute to work? . . c.26miles, bike/train/bike into work takes c.55 mins, and bike home 1.5 - 1.75 hr

2. If yes how long is your commute? . . c.26 miles

3. Do you use any safety equipment? . . lights / reflectors / pedal reflectors when it is dark

4. If so what equipment do you use? . . see Q.3

5. Does wearing safety equipment encourage you to cycle on the road with more confidence? . . No, how you cycle is more important than the equipment you have (though, yes, of course, lights, reflctors and pedal reflectors are a legal obligation when it's dark and some might say common sense too).

6. Making yourself noticed on the road is vital to your safety but such equipment such as the bell is not as much affective to cars as cars are now louder, music blaring out and traffic noise. How do you make yourself known to car drivers so that they see and notice you on the road or is it just a risk you have to take and hope the driver uses his mirrors? . . I'm not really concerned with mirrors as the vehicle will be past me by the time i'm visible in them. I rather hope, though sometimes it's seemingly in vain, that motorists will pay enough attention to see me when i am in front of them. When turning right i try to make eye contact with the driver while signalling and before pulling out. . Incidentally, bells are completely useless, in my opinion.

7. Have you been in any minor or major accidents with cars cycling on the road? . . Fortunately i don't see many cars cycling on the road around here :lol: . Sorry couldn't resist that ... Being serious however, i have had no major accidents though did have one minor one, where there was only me involved and it was my own fault.

8. If so what was the cause? . . "Speedway styling" it round a corner across a wet manhole cover

9. Was there anyway to prevent it? . . Yes, slow down :cry:

10. In your opinion what to you is the most dangerous part of cycling – cars taking over, junctions cars turning left or roundabouts? . . Given that i've only had one accident and that was my own fault i suppose the biggest danger to me is myself. However, the biggest danger i feel is either motorists not giving enough room when overtaking or those too busy talking on the phone / playing with twatNav / changing CD / shouting at the kids in the back.

11. How do you make yourself notice to drivers to tell them where you are and what exit you are going to while cycling on a roundabout? . . It is the motorists' responsibility to see me when i am on a roundabout, not for me to stick myself out like a sore thumb. In the dark i have the legally required lighting & reflectors therefore the same applies. And i use the recognised hand signals.

12. Do you think that the risk of being hit by a vehicle is more likely to be based on the car driver awareness? Depending how busy the traffic is? Not making yourself more noticed? Or a combination of all? . . Drivers [un]awareness
    Morning route (when i don't get the train)

Evening route ,
  • JoeSoap76
    JoeSoap76 Posts: 109
    cash77 wrote:
    Around 30 minutes each way
    cash77 wrote:
    7 miles each way
    cash77 wrote:

Always wear a helmet, perspex glasses and gloves (to avoid road rash if I come off and land on my palms).

After dark, two rear lights (one flashing, one fixed) and powerful front light.
    cash77 wrote:
    5. Does wearing safety equipment encourage you to cycle on the road with more confidence?
    Probably...
    cash77 wrote:
    6. Making yourself noticed on the road is vital to your safety but such equipment such as the bell is not as much affective to cars as cars are now louder, music blaring out and traffic noise. How do you make yourself known to car drivers so that they see and notice you on the road or is it just a risk you have to take and hope the driver uses his mirrors?
    Sensible positioning on the road and sensible cycling. Make eye contact and make no assumptions about what the driver may do.
    cash77 wrote:
    No. Not that I've ever seen a car cycling on the road ;)
    cash77 wrote:
    10. In your opinion what to you is the most dangerous part of cycling – cars taking over, junctions cars turning left or roundabouts?
    Drivers not allowing cyclists enough room. That said, the most dangerous part of cycling is cycling dangerously.
    cash77 wrote:
    11. How do you make yourself notice to drivers to tell them where you are and what exit you are going to while cycling on a roundabout?
    Appropriate road positioning and arm signals.
    cash77 wrote:
    12. Do you think that the risk of being hit by a vehicle is more likely to be based on the car driver awareness? Depending how busy the traffic is? Not making yourself more noticed? Or a combination of all?
    The biggest risk to me being hit by a car is me not cycling appropriately.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    1. 35 minutes or so. Or do you mean "for how long have you been commuting?" if so, 2 years.

2. 7 miles

3. Yes

4. Helmet; lights and reflective jacket/ankle strips at night

5. This seems a loaded question; if I were to cycle at night without reflectors/lights I would be a lot more cautious, but that's not going to happen. I certainly don't ride any differently with a helmet than without.

6. I take primary position where appropriate; I make eye contact with drivers wherever possible, especially at traffic lights and junctions; I make clear hand signals whenever applicable.

7. Plenty of near misses but nothing more than bumping into the back of a van when not paying enough attention - no damage done.

10. The most dangerous part of cycling is the cyclist not paying attention. If we assume the cyclist is paying perfect attention, the most dangerous aspect is other road users and pedestrians not paying attention. There are obviously places that are more dangerous than others but if everyone pays attention and obeys the rules then there is no excuse for an accident. However, of the three things you mention, roundabouts have the most opportunity for unpredictability.

11. I try to ride ahead of traffic as far as possible, keeping the correct lane and making early and obvious hand signals and, if possible, eye contact. I avoid making swift or unpredictable movements.

12. It can only be a combination of all.
  • girv73
    girv73 Posts: 842
    Here's my 2c:

1. 40 minutes
    2. 7.5 miles each way
    3. Yes
    4. Helmet, lights & reflectors, hi-vis jacket
    5. Yes
    6. When I want to get noticed, I take control of the lane.
    7. No
    8. -
    9. -
    10. Roundabouts
    11. Ride in the middle of the lane, use hand signals to indicate direction. If possible I will
    use the outside lane of a roundabout so I don't have to cross lanes when exiting.
    12. Driver awareness.
    Today is a good day to ride
  • janm399
    janm399 Posts: 132
    1. 3 years on the bike
    2. 10 - 40 km, depending on how I feel
    3. Yes
    4. Helmet; lights when it's dark
    5. Helmet makes me feel safer; lights are simply common sense!
    6. A very loud "Oi!" shout usually does the trick. I am also 195 cm tall, so I'm pretty hard to miss.
    7. Yes
    8. The last one was my / no one's fault: my front wheel slipped on a diesel spill, I skidded and got some fine road rash. A taxi driver caused the previous accident, when he turned into me without looking at 50 km/h. The bike was a write-off and I ended up with a broken wrist.
    9. The diesel spill one, I guess was preventable. The taxi one wasn't.
    10. Pinch points and speed bumps are my personal hate. The first ones somehow compel the drivers to accelerate wildly and then try to squeeze in; the drivers usually try to avoid the bumps by swerving into what they see as empty road.
    11. Take primary, indicate.
    12. I'd love to say that the drivers need to pay more attention, but I imagine it may sometimes be difficult. I rarely filter, but I see other people taking huge risks to filter. Just yesterday (Sunday morning) I had to make one driver stay behind me. We were both stopped at red light and he tried to move parallel to me. He didn't understand that it was dangerous. Perhaps a campaign called "bikes *are* traffic" or something similar would help.
    Computer geek, Manchester Wheelers' member since 2006
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    edited September 2008
    /
  • 1. How long do you commute to work?
    Not sure what you mean by this? Been cycle commuting for 6 years or so
    Either 10 or 3.5 miles
    No

No
    Ride in primary
    One minor
    Myopic black cabbie
    Glasses?
    I don't regard cycling as being dangerous
    Hand signals
    Driver awareness
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    1. 50 mins - 1 hr depending on the direction (faster out than back)

2. 20km

3. Yes

4. Gloves, glasses, helmet in the winter, lights in the winter, various reflective items.

5. No. I simply ride according to the conditions (i.e. I would be more cautious commuting in heavy rain), but actual safety equipment doesn't affect how I ride or feel).

6. Primary position, eye contact with drivers, riding assertively and knowing potentially dangerous points on the route so one can be in the right position.

7. Yes. Knocked off by a van turning left, clipped by a bus, taken over the bonnet of a car that turned left and subsequently drove off.

8. The van turned left without indicating as he was going into a company forecourt. He had just overtaken me, so I had no-where to go.

The bus just cut in while overtaking me, clipping my handlebar, sending me down.

The last one was a just after traffic lights. The car just turned left and took me out with the front of his car.

9. Yes, the drivers could have paid attention to the road!

10. I'd say the three most dangerous things are cars overtaking and turning left and riding on busy roads in the rain. The third most dangerous is the period when the clocks change and it is suddenly dark during the evening commute. For the first couple of weeks cars are all over the place.

11. Good positioning and signalling.

12. Definitely awareness. Also driver frustration. When traffic is bad they get annoyed and try to save time. On emptier roads there isn't the frustration or aggression.

I've been commuting by bike for about 4 years. It's only benn my entire commute for about 6 months.

Used to be 14 miles followed by a train ride followed by 5.5 miles, now just 6.5 miles.

Only my brain :) Oh, and brakes.

Brakes... and lights

With lights in the dark, yes, otherwise N/A

Make sure I position myself in such a manner that they are more likely to notice me, sometimes wear hi-vis kit, but not often in the summer.

Yep, knocked off by a bus in Oxford years ago, and more recently by a van in Kensington.

Both times the driver failed to see me.

Nothing I could have done really.

I think that the most dangerous thing is actually not being aware of the risks of these situations, and that people in cars don't always check their mirrors.

Indicate, indicate, indicate. How can they avoid you if they don't know where you're going?

I think a combination of them all.
  • dafruk
    dafruk Posts: 125
    Is this how long have I been doing it for? In which case I started with cycling to Uni so about 11 years ago.
    3 miles each way
    yes
    Helmet, lights and bright yellow top.
    Not really, road sense ie awareness, positioning gives me far greater confidence in my safety.
    Riding in the primary position at stationary trafiic (traffic lights etc), will tap on windows if feel i'm unnoticed when a vehicle is beside me. Lights and bright colours.
    Twice been hit by cars
    First, car was on the inside lane, appeared to be parked, pulled out to perform a U turn as I was passing and turned directly into the side of me. I saw it coming so turned with the car resulting in my getting knocked sideways but not completely off my bike (car got a scratch) Driver jumped out and was very apologetic and ensured I was unhurt.
    Second time. I believe this guy intentionally tried to drive me into the kerb. Coming down a hill to a T junction with a cycle lane on the lhs of the road. I was turning left, so having checked the turn was clear continued without stopping. The car then pulled off in the same direction and gradually moved across the cycle lane until pushing me into the kerb, at which point I jammed on my brakes and got clear. He then accelerated away back down the road.
    I feel there was little I could have done in both circumstances. The first was a car pulling out from parking without properly checking. The second was an intentional agressive move against me by a car.
    Bus lanes twinned as cycle lanes, buses constantly pulling in and out around you, these regularly pass then stop resluting in cyclists needing to pull into outside lanes of moving traffic. Similary vehicles parked in cycle lanes.

Sit in the middle of the lane to block traffic trying to pass me on the entrance or on the roundabout itself. Indicate in the same manner as vehicles should do.

12. Do you think that the risk of being hit by a vehicle is more likely to be based on the car driver awareness? Depending how busy the traffic is? Not making yourself more noticed? Or a combination of all
    A combination of all. If you cycle carefully you can avoid incidents by predicting situations occurring you can reduce the risk from others not being aware. Basically you have to assume other people are not good drivers and work on that assumption at all times. So predict the situations and make yourself noticable to drivers and hope they are paying attention. Traffic volume generally doesn't play too big a part. If there is lots of traffic it tends to be slower moving and therefore a bit easier to be seen but people do try to find ways of going faster which are generally more risky for cyclists around them.
    FCN 7- Tourer, panniers, Lycra and clipless

What is this game you speak of? Of course I'm not playing...
  • FSR_XC
    FSR_XC Posts: 2,258
    cash77 wrote:
    30-35 minutes each way
    cash77 wrote:
    10.5 miles each way
    cash77 wrote:
    Yes
    cash77 wrote:
    Helmet, glasses, gloves and bright top. Front & rear lights when req'd
    No reflectors on my bike - IMO only wheel ones make any difference (as lights are better) & not sure I can fit them to flat bladed spokes.
    cash77 wrote:
    Don't believe so. Never ride without helmet etc so couldn't say.
    cash77 wrote:
    Expect them to do whatever they shouldn't. Eye contact gives you some idea of what they are going to do. Shouting works better than a bell. A small bar mounted air horn would be nice.
    cash77 wrote:
    No.
    cash77 wrote:
    Drivers not allowing cyclists enough room. I ride a lot on country roads. In built up areas, cars just seem to think they have to get past a cyclist no matter what.
    cash77 wrote:
    Appropriate road positioning and arm signals.
    cash77 wrote:
    Driver awareness. Factors such as busy traffic & cyclists being more visible etc affect how quickly / easily a driver is aware of you.
    Stumpjumper FSR 09/10 Pro Carbon, Genesis Vapour CX20 ('17)Carbon, Rose Xeon CW3000 '14, Raleigh R50

http://www.visiontrack.com
  • georgee
    georgee Posts: 537
    1. How long do you commute to work? 14 miles each way

2. If yes how long is your commute? 14 miles each way

3. Do you use any safety equipment? yes

4. If so what equipment so you use? Helmet lights, high vis bag cover

5. Does wearing safety equipment encourage you to cycle on the road with more confidence? marginal

6. Making yourself noticed on the road is vital to your safety but such equipment such as the bell is not as much affective to cars as cars are now louder, music blaring out and traffic noise. How do you make yourself known to car drivers so that they see and notice you on the road or is it just a risk you have to take and hope the driver uses his mirrors? Assertive positioning/shouting

7. Have you been in any minor or major accidents with cars cycling on the road? no

10. In your opinion what to you is the most dangerous part of cycling – cars taking over, junctions cars turning left or roundabouts? Cars turning left, people letting cars through traffic in/out side roads

11. How do you make yourself notice to drivers to tell them where you are and what exit you are going to while cycling on a roundabout? signal

12. Do you think that the risk of being hit by a vehicle is more likely to be based on the car driver awareness? Depending how busy the traffic is? Not making yourself more noticed? Or a combination of all? all
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    I actually "commute" from home, ride 10m and get back home every day (for fitness and to wake up properly plus I enjoy it!) - work from home.

10 miles

40-45 mins (ermm - it's very hilly!)

Yep.

Skid lid, high vis vest when it's dull/rainy, gloves, bell, lights in darker months, good brakes!

A little more but getting hit by a car/truck will hurt/kill you whatever you wear.

Rely on me seeing them first using road positioning but also lights and hi vis vest to be seen.

Been "run off" my bike by a car - justice given when i spotted him two weeks later.

Semi road rage from me being in the way (country lane) I guess

Nope

Cars passing when there isn't room, some T junctions need caution

Road positioning + lights and hi vis kit.

Mostly awareness from the driver - too many don't observe properly. But also anger - drivers hate being held up, even for a few seconds.

Might be worth polishing your English up - apologies if you're not English in the first place!
    about 50 mins on road, 70 off-road

26km

yes

helmet, glasses/gloves , lights if dark. reflective clothing on-road in addition to the lights for dark rides.
    not really

road position. Constant vigilence, not taking any stupid risks like running red lights or zipping up the inside

yes

car turning left in front of me

yes. Driver in question to have been drowned at birth

roundabouts

I occupy the lane and signal accordingly

combination of all I guess.
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    cash77 wrote:
    hey just a few easy questions for you to answer for my work, iv filled one in myself after cycling around, i just need a lot more of peoples opinions and answers. appreciate if people did these. thanks

35 mins

7.5 miles

Yes

Helmet, High Viz jacket

Yes

I assume they have not seen me.

Yes, got knocked off by a overtake then immediate left turn idiot. Also, got spat on!

Turning left.

Not on my part.

Cars turning left.

Indicate and hog lanes.

Mainly down to the driver.
    unclear what this means - how long have you commuted by bike? how far is your commute?
    I've commuted for 12 months by bike
    you mean 'how far'? 5 miles each way.
    yes, brakes, lights, jacket has reflective bits on

yes
    assume drivers are idiots, gain experience of when you can filter through traffic.
    no, but plenty of close shaves
    the close shaves? once or twice my own errors in judgement, but mostly car drivers trying to squeeze through spaces, overtaking too close.
    me: more considerate. drivers: patience, respect.
    danger can arise almost anywhere on the roads, but I suppose some junctions and roundabouts and other bits of road infrastructure are just not designed with cyclists in mind.
    signal, primary position, eye contact.
    12. Do you think that the risk of being hit by a vehicle is more likely to be based on the car driver awareness? Depending how busy the traffic is? Not making yourself more noticed? Or a combination of all?[/quote]Obviously a combination of all. the most important though is driver awareness, not to deny that cyclists must make themselves noticed and ride appropriately.
  • Dudu
    Dudu Posts: 4,637
    55mins there, 45 mins back

16.9km there, 17.4km back

Yes

Crash helmet unless it's too hot. Lights if it's dark

No

Ride near the middle of the lane at the fastest speed you find comfortable. Whistle to give warning, especially to pedestrians, shout if you see danger developing

A few minor, no major

Drivers passing too close, underestimating my speed or not not paying attention to the extent they'd've driven into an artic if it was in front of them

Driver education. Compulsory alertness testing before the driver can start the engine. Compulsory breathalysing before the driver starts the engine. Motion sensors on cars that cut the engine if they're too close to anything

Oncoming vehicles in the middle or on the wrong side of the road

Look behind, signal, manouevre. Like any decent driver

Almost entirely due to lack of drivers not paying attention.
  • Dudu
    Dudu Posts: 4,637
    Whistle to give warning
    any particular tune? ;)

Much though I'd like it to be the "Statue theme" from Olivier Messiaen's Turangalila Symphony, it's usually a friendly "coo-ee"-type whistle in most cases, or an "Oi"-type whistle in more dangerous situations. :D

2. If yes how long is your commute? 15.5km

3. Do you use any safety equipment? Yes

4. If so what equipment so you use? Helmet, lights, pollution mask (I really suffer without it), high viz waterproof jacket..

5. Does wearing safety equipment encourage you to cycle on the road with more confidence? It means that I cycle, without it I wouldn’t.

6. Making yourself noticed on the road is vital to your safety but such equipment such as the bell is not as much affective to cars as cars are now louder, music blaring out and traffic noise. How do you make yourself known to car drivers so that they see and notice you on the road or is it just a risk you have to take and hope the driver uses his mirrors? The problem I seem to face is not about not being seen, more that some other road users do not accurately assess how much space is needed. In the dark I use a strong light and can “position” this into car wing mirrors when moving through static/slow traffic, this really does get a positive response.

7. Have you been in any minor or major accidents with cars cycling on the road? 1 relatively minor. I was run off the road, hit the kurb and got two buckled wheels and a snake bit puncture.

8. If so what was the cause? Car not realising that I wasn’t stationary and not allowing enough space to get past me and then cut across.

9. Was there anyway to prevent it? Me not being there, driver being more aware.

10. In your opinion what to you is the most dangerous part of cycling – cars taking over, junctions cars turning left or roundabouts? For me its roundabouts.

11. How do you make yourself notice to drivers to tell them where you are and what exit you are going to while cycling on a roundabout? Positioning is more important than the hand signals.

12. Do you think that the risk of being hit by a vehicle is more likely to be based on the car driver awareness? Depending how busy the traffic is? Not making yourself more noticed? Or a combination of all?Driver awareness
    FCN 8

2009 Boardman Hybrid Pro