Would Wheel Upgrade Make Any Difference??

NWLondoner
NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
edited August 2008 in Workshop
I"m in two minds as to whether I should replace my flat bar road bike with a "proper" road bike early next year :?:

Yesterday I rode a route that I have done before but this time i had on my new GP4000s tyres and really noticed the difference. I am therefore thinking maybe i should keep this bike and just upgrade the wheels.

My current set are Shimano WH R550. Would I notice any benefit in buying a quality set of hand built wheels? e.g Easton EA90 or DT RR1850?

Comments

• topdude
    topdude Posts: 1,557
    Save your money for a decent road bike next year and put some nice handbuilt (Mavic / ultegra) wheels on that, then you will notice a real difference :D
    He is not the messiah, he is a very naughty boy !!
  • get a proper road bike, definately. i don't see the point of flat barred road bikes - you only have one postion whereas drop bars give you three distinct positions plus many variations in between. on top of that a road bike wii be faster :D
    pm
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    I hear what you're saying.

I'm (maybe) just trying to talk myself out of getting one because I know that I won't be getting much change out of £1800!!!

Also worried that after getting one i will hate it and think i've p*ssed the money away.(not the 1st time i've done that)
  • NWLondoner wrote:
    I hear what you're saying.

I'm (maybe) just trying to talk myself out of getting one because I know that I won't be getting much change out of £1800!!!

Also worried that after getting one i will hate it and think i've p*ssed the money away.(not the 1st time i've done that)

i don't know whether or not you'd hate a road bike but i would be surprised if you did, depending on the type riding you do of course. Also you mention not geting much change out of £1800 but these days you can get excellent road bikes for quite a bit less than that (Focus Cayo for example @ about £1000).

If you just commute in urban areas then it might not be the way to go but if you like going for longer rides or want to do any sportives then it's certainly worth seriously considering.
    pm