Drivers!!!

bailed out
bailed out Posts: 41
edited September 2008 in The Crudcatcher
I havn't yet seen a thread for people to rant and rave about how bad some drivers really are. Please post ur near misses and incidents with bad drivers.

Heres one of mine, after cycling back from my blockbuster in cults in aberdeen. After leaving me and my friend were comming down the hill at about 15mph when the jeep infront stops and slams on its bakes and me and my m8 slide to a stop thinking he had just hit someone, turns out he was turning right and just hadn't bothered to indicate. So i followed him in to the carpark and told him next time to use his indicator or next time that nice new black land rover of his may need a new paint job as he neary caused two folk to crash into him. He was shocked, maby it was my full face helmet, or carbon unabomber gloves making a nice fist, or my black Gt-idrive, but most of all I think that it was my dagger eyes. Then on my way out of the carpark a small pugeot 106 reverses nearly in to me causing me to swerve anto the otherside of the road just missing another oncoming car. Is it just me or are car drivers getting worse.

Comments

• Drivers are increasingly dreadful. I trust no-one but myself. Never had a major issue with anyone when I'm riding, but I do a lot of commuting to work (in my car), and some of the things I see when I'm driving would make your toes curl...
    I am considerably more rock and roll than you.

Road. Mountain. Up hill and down dale...
  • Amos
    Amos Posts: 438
    I nearly got knocked off a few months ago when going past a junction, the driver just pulled out, luckily I was able to swerve around them.

On the flipside, I have been driving along and had a cyclist launch of the pavement infront of me, which if I hadn't swerved I would have smeared him all over the tarmac! It was a good job there wasn't anything coming the other way otherwise it could have been a nasty accident.
  • i'm actually getting nervous about having to commute to uni on my bike in London.
    i went to check out/stay in our flat for the 1st time last week, and while waiting for buses i just thought "i'm gonna get knocked off and seriously injured/killed"....there was some rite nutters,,,,but its the busses that scare me the most!
  • I think that van drivers are the worst they don't even look or indicate and when they overtake u, if they can keep u :p , they leave u in a heap of black smoke.
  • hastings
    hastings Posts: 206
    I got hit by a BMW who pulled out of a roundabout into me. A few hours later, many stitches, sprained arm, knee and ankle and a broken wrist i was able to go back home.

at least the driver paid for a replacement for my bike
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    Check the "Commuting" section for plenty of car moans!

As a driver and cyclist I try to be accommodating to both but more drivers need extra training. And more drivers need to realise when they are in the wrong.
    I'm IAM and Police driver trained but still make too many mistakes.
  • Matt-B
    Matt-B Posts: 112
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    i'm actually getting nervous about having to commute to uni on my bike in London.
    i went to check out/stay in our flat for the 1st time last week, and while waiting for buses i just thought "i'm gonna get knocked off and seriously injured/killed"....there was some rite nutters,,,,but its the busses that scare me the most!

Commuting in London looks much worse than it actually is... I do 6 miles each way, every day, rain or shine, and it's alright - you'll get used to the buses!
  • ChrisLS
    ChrisLS Posts: 2,749
    ...as Surf Matt says check out the commuting section loads of hardcore commuters to help out and give advice...

...bailed out have you thought about getting some on road training. Check out Bikeability. Do the course, it will give you traffic skills and more confidence... :D
    ...all the way...'til the wheels fall off and burn...
  • I'd love to be able to commute to work, but it's a bit too far...especially for my imaginary bicycle...

• bigbenj_08 wrote:
    i'm actually getting nervous about having to commute to uni on my bike in London.

I commute in London every day and I can tell you that the buses are the least of your problems! If you are careful around the buses you will be fine infact I find the drivers to be very good about cyclists. Even the hype overbendy buses is generally not warranted, as it is common sense to not put yourself on the inside of a large vehicle with a corner coming up.

Congestion is also your friend.

I find that it is other cyclists and motorcyclists that can cause havoc. As long as you think about what you are doing, keep your head up and play it safe (that doesnt mean ride slow!!!) you will be fine....oh and wear a helmet!

I have already noticed better driver behaviour to cyclists in the past couple of years I have been commuting so the more of us out there the better. I am also a major petrolhead and love cars too so I know that at times as a cyclist we are hard to see etc etc
    Scott Ransom 10

Stumpy FSR Comp

Wilier Izoard

1994 Shogun Prairie Breaker Expert...ahhh yesssss

'I didnt need those front teeth anyway..'
  • One would've thought that the increasing congestion and pollution charges are also the cyclists friend as they will have an effect on the level of traffic on London's roads, no? Or has it made no difference whatsoever? I'm curious. Not that it means a jot to me, I hate the place...

• That Bikeability course may be a good idea they used to do that at my old primary school but missed it out the year that i was going to be doing it :(
  • Do they not still do the Cycling Proficiency Test then? Or am I just showing my age? I think I did mine in 1979...

• yeh they do or should, someon told me that it was illegal to ride on the roads without passing it, personally i think they are speaking out of a certain orifice.
  • chuckcork
    chuckcork Posts: 1,471
    hastings wrote:
    I got hit by a BMW who pulled out of a roundabout into me. A few hours later, many stitches, sprained arm, knee and ankle and a broken wrist i was able to go back home.

at least the driver paid for a replacement for my bike

If you'd contacted one of the ambulance chasers listed in the back of the cycling mags you could have got a lot more than that. It would have also registered with his insurance company so would have increased his premiums, which could well cost him more than your bike.
    'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....
  • stevet1992
    stevet1992 Posts: 1,502
    I got forced off the road once completely smashing my back axle in two :( had a swollen knee for bout a week after as well :evil:
    On-One 456 Sainsburys Season

Calling All SouthEastern Riders