Saddle Height Question

dubbleyu
dubbleyu Posts: 14
edited August 2008 in MTB beginners
Ok so its a total noob question i know, but whats the best way to work out saddle height? Im 5'11 and riding a 19" frame, should my feel be able to be flat on the ground when im stationary, or just the tip-toes? The seatpost is marked from 10 - 1 is there any particular number to be on? Sorry for such basic questions, and thanx in advance for any help! (the bikes a BeOne Ten btw http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=24063)

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    its all a question of comfort. the saddle needs to be high enough so that you have effiecient cycling but not so high that you cant manover around the bike as you are riding around, for example, when descending, you will want to slide off the back of the saddle to keep your centre of gravity over th back wheel and so you dont get thrown over the bars if its really steep.

the way i do it is to sit on the saddlewith your heel on the pedal, your leg should be in a straight lne. then, when you actually pedal around as you are ridiing, you should have the pedal on the ball of your foot, this will produce a slight bend at the knee which will reduce shock loading.

most folk will have the saddle at this height for general and uphill riding, then stop and lower the saddle for descending to keep the saddle out of the way so you can be more mobile

all of this is your own preference though and what works for you, might be different to what other folk like but that should be a decent starting point
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    forgt to add, in a normal positio, it is more than likey you wont be able to reach the ground unless the bike is tilted over or you are not on thesaddle, you will get used to it and be fine.

also, the frame and seatpost might have minimum insertion maks on them, that is the min depth the post should be at so it doesnt bend and the mn amount which should be inserted to prevent damage to the frame so have a look, in general, minimum insertion on the post will be plenty to keep both post and frame safe.
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Just to add to Sheepy's fairly comprehensive posts above just be careful with minimum insertion depth if the bike was second hand when you bought it or you've chopped the seatpost down for any reason (I've lopped about 2" off mine on my Stumpjumper so I can get it down low enough for descending, the stumpy has an interrupted seat tube).

Anyway may also be worth checking the bike manual as it may stipulate a minium insertion depth as well (handily my stumpy has a little hole in the seat, if you can see seat post through it, you've got enough inserted, if not.....).
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result