Dry lube/Wet lube?

matthooper
matthooper Posts: 39
edited August 2008 in Road beginners
I ususally use teflon dry lube for my chain, not sure thats best, would like to know what everyone tends to use, all comments welcome please

Comments

• dazzawazza
    dazzawazza Posts: 462
    I used to use the Finish Line wet lube, but the drive system picked up every bit of gunk possible. I now use the FL dry teflon lube and apply it more often.
    Every so often I spray a rag with GT85 and wipe the chain etc. I try to swap the chain every 800 miles and do a big clean up of the drive system then.
    This method works well for me and keeps the bikes clean with the minimal of effort.
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    Purple Extreme every 200 miles, after a good clean. Or, good quality dry lube.
    Spray some teflon spray (GT85 or similar) JUST to keep the water out (it isn't a chain lube!).

New chain at 800 miles (as above).

Keep the grit and dirt out, and keep checking the chain with a wear indicator.

Avoid stretching the chain by using opposite extremes of gears on the front/back cogs.

Only consider wet lube if riding in soaking conditions, regularly... and then up the cleaning to a few times a week!

Unfortunately, the only way to keep it all going is proper cleaning routine!
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    To me the answer to the dry/wet conundrum has been Progold Prolink lube. It has the characteristics of both, it is very clean but it lasts like a wet lube even in foul weather. I have used it all through the winter for commuting and it lasts really well. I have tried all the rest and this one is the best IMHO.
  • Ste_S
    Ste_S Posts: 1,173
    Depends on what you're using the bike for.

If it's for a hack/commuter that's going to be ridden in the rain a lot without cleaning/re-lubing after wet rides, then use a wet lube.

Everything else, use dry.
  • jjojjas
    jjojjas Posts: 346
    daily commuter and MTB get wetlube.....but it does pick up the crap
    Road bike gets dry lube.........only dry rides for pleasure/fitness
    it looks a bit steep to me.....