Rim Tape

e1ys1um
e1ys1um Posts: 29
edited September 2008 in MTB beginners
ok probably a seriously noobish question now but hey here goes...

Just bought some Halo Freedom Disc wheels and as they dont come with rim tape fitted i ordered some. Now the internal width of the rims is 20mm so i ordered some 20mm halo rim tape, however the company i ordered from sent me 16mm by mistake, now although they have said they will send me some 20mm free of charge and to keep the 16mm, does it really matter, is the 16mm likely to be just as effective or should i use the 20mm when it comes. Never had to buy the stuff before as my wheels pre fitted, have always had it.

I'll go and stand in the corner with my dunces hat and await ridicule/tuition!

cheers

Comments

• dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    I'd use the wider stuff myself, but if you can't wait, why not run a couple of wraps of PVC electricians tape round your rims?
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • Sir HC
    Sir HC Posts: 20,148
    I've been using electrical tape, you don't have to worry about order the right width either.

I've also found the cloth rim tapes tear around the spoke holes, damaging the tube. Electrical tape seems to hold up longer.
    Intense Socom
    Inbred
  • e1ys1um
    e1ys1um Posts: 29
    cheers guys, there is no rush to fit as i'm still waiting on my fork to arrive so will just probably go with the 20mm when it comes and at least i've got the 16 if need be, sounds daft but its not something i've ever had to consider.

cheers
  • well got the 20mm stuff today and it sits in the rim so much better than the 16mm stuff (i tried one) so alls good :D
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    I been using electrical tape for years without any problems, just go round a few times.

Outdoor shops sell climbing tape which protects your fingers when rock climbing. It's a little bit wider than rim tape but it's easy to trim and costs a lot less.