I'm new to Mountain biking, 1st purchase immient

nesty
nesty Posts: 100
edited August 2008 in MTB buying advice
Hi All

It's my first post here, so thought I'd say hi.

Just reading through people posts for beginners new mountain bike purchase. I like many people looked online & wondered what frame / bike to get. My budget around the £500 mark and need a bike for off road, but no meaning racing etc, just recorational use.

Basically, I got myself down to the shops and sat and rode a few. They saw me on the bike and recomended a 20 frame.

The bike I seem to favour is the Cape Wrath D27 (2008). Though I tried the GT Avalache 1.0, Carrera Fury&Vulcan, also the Genesis Core 1.0, which seemed a nice bike, but no lockout.

I must admit the local shop stocks the Cape Wrath D27 for £490. I was impressed with the looks and feel of the bike and the reviews all postive. It might be the bike for me! Oh and it's in Watford FC colours as well:-)

nesty

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Well, you need a 20inch on the bike you tried, it may be different for other models (geometry varies).

All the bikes you mention are highly regarded, so if you like the Claud and have sat on it, I think you have your answer!
  • nesty
    I must admit I was impressed with it. Also the local village shop is a stockist of CB & liked the customer service he provided. He said that CB D27 is a real nice bike very well made & a good spec.

OK could argue the Fury has better fork. Tho I am septical dealing with Halfords!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Fury is a great bike, and one I always recommend for £500, but the CB isn't far behind on spec, and in the a slightly less spec but better fit and ride for you is more important.
  • nesty
    OK, just to make double sure I'll go back down Halfords on Sunday. The CB ride is fresh in my mind from today, so can compare a bit beter. Argeed the spec of the Fury looks very high! Considering it's from Halfords!
  • nesty
    I was browsing Evan's site today & saw this model. Got very good write up & now down to £500. The Reflex 20 was intially on my shortlist, but must admit haven't sat on one yet.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/sco ... e-ec001349

Looking at Evans site, it sells has 3 of the 5 bikes on my shortlist

Genesis Core 1.0
    Cape Wrath D27
    Scott Reflex 20

I might go over today and have a sit on the Genesis and Scott to see what they are like.

Nesty