Scrapheap Challenge

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited September 2008 in The Crudcatcher
Why is it that every chain driven device on Scrapheap is desinted for almost certain failure.
I was just watching one episode where they were obsessing over the alignment of the sprockets, so that chain tension wouldn;t change when it was rotatin.

Now, personally, if I had 10 hours to build something, and had scrapheap bits to do it with, I'd try and overcome the problem by using chain tensioners, and a chain device.
surely it would take less time to make these, than it would to obsess over the alignment, which, inevitably is never good enough anyway.

Comments

• Anonymous
    i will try and find some pics but on a trade related excercise a few yrs back my fitter section had to build a hover craft, it was absolutely rubbish :lol:
  • i know what you mean, no matter how many times its been done, they never learn...
  • Anonymous
    here is the only pic i can find of "preparation h", but im not in it

n626934002_654153_4718.jpg
  • Dick Strawbridge (Brothers in arms) was my boss in the army. Good bloke - bit eccentric, which actually made him likeable as an officer. Some of them were just a bit up there own a@@e! :lol:
  • Dick Strawbridge was my Adjutant when I was in the Army. Like you say, a bit eccentric, but all the better for it!
  • Wheelz wrote:
    Dick Strawbridge was my Adjutant when I was in the Army. Like you say, a bit eccentric, but all the better for it!

Yes, had him as OC Squadron. Did not see too much of him, going to the Falklands was better than staying at Blandford! :lol: We missed him when he left, the SSM we had was a complete muppet - who had no one to keep him in check. If you google "The Peter Principle" - possibly gives his name, as a case in point :roll:
  • anyway - back to scrapheap - some of it is horribly set up - on one they needed to find some neoprene, and amazingly there was a brand new wet suit just sitting on top of a car right outside their workshop!

what are the chances!

good show though...
    Hardtails aren't called hardcore for no reason

Giant STP: http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1996804/
    Spesh Hardrock: http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1996822/
  • Anonymous
    anyway - back to scrapheap - some of it is horribly set up - on one they needed to find some neoprene, and amazingly there was a brand new wet suit just sitting on top of a car right outside their workshop!

what are the chances!

good show though...
    Apparently, It really isn't as set up as most people think. I was talking to a guy involved in making the show once, and he said what they do is make sure there's plenty of variety in the scrapyard, and liberally add a few things if they know they're going to be needed in the series.
    For example, the moster truck tyres, they're not the kind of things you'd normally find in a scrapyard, so they put them there. If you watch carefully, you can even see the "unusual" junk on the pile in shows that were filmed before the one where they needed those parts!
    Another one is plane wrecks. If you see an aeroplane wreck on the heap somewhere, you know that at some point in the series, someone is going to need some part of it.

Same goes for lots of minor things too, like timber, or a large collection of steel box section!