Like the look of this bike for daughter but is it ok?

korky
korky Posts: 85
edited September 2008 in MTB buying advice
Bike buying time again & looking for 24" for daughter No 1.

I like the look of this Saracen Amethyst & would appreciate opinions?

http://www.drakescycles.co.uk/products. ... _to_11_yrs)

Can be found on the tinternet for £135 delivered. (which is about the guts of the available budget).

Also should I be holding off for sales or is this as good as it gets?
"There is nothing more exhilarating than to be shot at without result" Winston Churchill.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Looks to have a lot of the basics in place for a kid: shorter cranks, smaller brake levers for example. But will it fit? Any local dealers?
  • korky
    There is a dealer nearby but unfortunately they dont stock kids Saracens.

How does Saracen rate as a manufacturer compared to the "quality" brands?
    "There is nothing more exhilarating than to be shot at without result" Winston Churchill.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Very well! Good value bikes, always have been. I've had two saracens now, both 300 quid bikes and was very impressed.

Fit is important, so I'd look at some other brands as well. Halfords usually stock a good kids range.
  • Splasher
    Splasher Posts: 1,528
    "Internet Forums - an amazing world where outright falsehoods become cyber-facts with a few witty key taps and a carefully placed emoticon."
  • korky
    Thanks for that.

I must admit to being a bit confused about fitting bikes for children.

I know that the bike musn't be too big / too small but given that this bike will probably (hopefully) last my wee darling at least 3 years her size/proportions are going to change considerably during that time so is ensuring it fits her "now" only going to be of time limited value??

An Islabike would be great but unfortunately about £80 over budget.
  • Splasher
    Splasher Posts: 1,528
    One of the great things about Islabikes is that they take old ones back in part ex (or they used to, worth double checking) so you can always subsidise the next with the current if that makes sense.
    "Internet Forums - an amazing world where outright falsehoods become cyber-facts with a few witty key taps and a carefully placed emoticon."
  • korky
    I didnt know that about Islabikes.

My search is over now :-)

Went today to have a look at a second hand Girls Specialized Hotrock 24" & seller turned out to also be selling a 24" boys Specialized Hotrock (both 2005 models).

They have both obviously been sitting in the garage for some time given the amount of dust on them & flattish tyres but both seem pretty sound.

Was extremely chuffed to negotiate down to £80 for the pair. (Plan to clean up the boys one & sell for its real worth).

Even more chuffed to find after getting home & doing a bit of research that the girls bike is in fact a Specialized Hotrock A1 FS which seems to retail at £100 more than the standard one (£299.99).

Job as they say is a good un.

Should have a happy daughter and a even happier wallet.
  • Another vote for Islabikes. We have two: a Beinn 24 and Beinn 26. They are really beautiful bikes with cleverly chosen components and I have absolutely no hesitation recommending them!

Aside from the part exchange that islabikes runs, they keep their value.