Giant DEfy

horizon1967
horizon1967 Posts: 55
edited August 2008 in Road beginners
Has anyone seen the new Defy modals from Giant.Or better still got one any comments on them as i just bought a scr2 and now feel a little silly. :oops:

Comments

• SCR Pedro
    SCR Pedro Posts: 912
    Hey there,

Someone on the board recently posted the 2009 models via a Flickr page. I can't for the life of me find it though.

As a fellow SCR2 owner, I'd say you've done the right thing anyway!

Cheers
    Pedro
    Giant TCR Advanced II - Reviewed on my homepage
    Giant TCR Alliance Zero
    BMC teammachineSLR03
    The Departed
    Giant SCR2
    Canyon Roadlite
    Specialized Allez
    Some other junk...
  • ris
    ris Posts: 392
    this was the thread i think

not found any specs yet but suspect the defy range will be very close to the scr's. they are still great value bikes, so i can't see how you could feel too silly!
  • incog24
    incog24 Posts: 549
    The top end defy model is very nice, very versatile and looks great. Personally I'd go for the TCR, but the defy was a great ride, very popular amongst the people I was with.
    Racing for Fluid Fin Race Team in 2012 - www.fluidfin.co.uk
  • If you google giant defy, there are a few companies selling them already.

eg: http://www.dalescycles.com
    Boardman Road Comp '08
    Spesh FSR XC Expert '08
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Has anyone seen the new Defy modals from Giant.Or better still got one any comments on them as i just bought a scr2 and now feel a little silly. :oops:

I recently bought an SCR 3 for £370, the guy in the bike shop told me that Giant's '09 bikes are all going to be more expensive.

Thank 'Hoy' he was being honest and that I listened!

Here are the prices of the new Defy range from the shop I bought my SCR 3 from:

http://shop.devercycles.co.uk/category/300/Racing_Bikes

Everything is about £100 more.

I suspect the OP paid between £550 RRP to £450 sale price for an SCR2 the Defy equivalent (Defy 2.5) cost around £100 more. So no reason to feel silly.

It does seem that the Defy range has different brakes, bottom bracket, cranks and tyres. I think however - keep in mind the bike has yet to be road tested but the SCR range was highly recommended and sort after - that the additional cost is due to external factors (cost of production, shipping, state of the economy) and not because each bike has £100's worth more of kit, maybe I'm wrong as I paid near £100 to improve those dog awful stock kenda wheels.... The Defy 3, which is the equivalent of the SCR 3 doesn't come with a Tiagra rear shifter, its just Sora throughout and cost £100 more than the outgoing SCR3. I do, however prefer the simplicity of the range in that they give you a full groupset of shifters, mechs and in the Defy 1's case 105 brakes.

The range is on the Giant Website
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • ris
    ris Posts: 392
    at those prices i'm glad i didn't hold out for the giants to come back in stock and got the spesh 08 instead!

it's quite a mark-up, although they are now more in line with other companies ranges (the specialized allex 09 range is about 580 for sora/tiagra mix, pretty close to the defy 2/3).
  • Ste_S
    Ste_S Posts: 1,173
    Hard to recommend them at those prices now when there's better options for the money
  • Got latest Giant catologue yesterday from Cycle Zone bike shop in Lisburn city (N. Ireland). I am a scr3 owner and am content, as latest Giant products are much same as previous years, although Giant has made improvements to their road bike ranges, especially the carbon frame models. (I would like to add that Giant give more value in the fitting-out of their cycles.)
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    "Defy" is so much cooler to have on the frame than "SCR" - worth the extra surely? :wink:
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • wow thanks for the replies,this is my first post on the site.Any way i am happy with my scr,although i did see a defy at my local bike shop looks really good.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Congrats Giant - just as you thought they had perfected the art of ugly and dull, they come up with something uglier, duller and more expensive!
  • carl_p
    carl_p Posts: 989
    As a SCR2 owner I'm feeling quite chuffed, not silly. Best part of a £100 more to get a similar spec to what I have now. If I put mine up for sale now I could ask for more than I paid for it :wink:

I have to say, IMO, some of the bikes in the Giant range look absolutely hideous and over £500 to get a bike with Sora shifters!
    Specialized Venge S Works
    Cannondale Synapse
    Enigma Etape
    Genesis Flyer Single Speed

Turn the corner, rub my eyes and hope the world will last...
  • Brought an SCR2 just over 4 weeks ago, first ever road bike, done just under 700 miles on it and loved every yard.
    Somethings gotta go wrong, `cause I`m felling way too damn good - Nickelback.