Marin East Peak Upgrading ??

K88 MUD
K88 MUD Posts: 101
edited September 2008 in MTB buying advice
Hi guys

Im new to this mtb forum thing so here goes..... :oops:

I have owned an 07 East peak about a year now and was not happy with the juicy brakes so upgraded to Hope.....love them......but now my front shock is leaking after only about 150hrs use.
What sort of upgrade would you recommend for xc/trail......I do push it quite hard and both front and rear shocks get used full travel.

Any comments welcomed.

Thanks
Looking for a mtb riding partner............

Comments

• teacherman
    teacherman Posts: 454
    What forks do you have currently?
    I hate it when people say David Beckham's stupid...its not like anyone ever says: 'Stephen Hawking - he's s**t at football.' Paul Calf
  • K88 MUD
    Sorry...........would help ya a bit :oops:

They are Marzocchi Bomber MX forks with 150mm travel...........same as these

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/bik/802286438.html
  • teacherman
    Fox van R's ? Always do well in reviews. They're simple but a bit heavy but then so are the Bombers. Pikes are being discontinued for '09 I think so there may be some really good deals on them soon.

You got a budget in mind?
    I hate it when people say David Beckham's stupid...its not like anyone ever says: 'Stephen Hawking - he's s**t at football.' Paul Calf
  • K88 MUD
    teacherman wrote:
    You got a budget in mind?

No..........will pay what it takes to get something that works and will last abit longer.........when i bought the bike it had some very good reviews inc the folks but im very disapointed with them.
  • teacherman
    I want the vanillas for my FS - got 'zocchi XC 600's on there at the moment and i don't like them :lol:

They're either so soft they dive under braking or so hard they lose small/med bump sensitivity. I like the + / - air adjustment on the Rebas on my hardtail.

Someone said to me - buy Fox 'cos they've been making motor bike forks for years.

The Fox's are a good price reasonable weight and don't have gimmicky u-turn/pop lock nonsense on them to go wrong.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    But they do perform as well for half the money ;-) And don't cost a fortune to service.
  • K88 MUD
    Thanks so far...........off to the shops in the morning........see what they have on offer.........just like to go armed with a few ideas etc and see what cr@p they try to sell ya :wink: ........also looking at a pair of shoes with clips.......getting a little sick of holes in my legs from the spikes :lol:
  • teacherman
    supersonic wrote:
    But they do perform as well for half the money ;-) And don't cost a fortune to service.

What do? XC600's? my point is that they don't perform. I'd forgotten about the expensive service aspect of Fox's :roll:
  • supersonic
    I mean RS Revs or Recons!

I agree that U turn is wasted if you don't need it: I think RS are offering more simple coil forks for 09. Motion Control really is good at dialling out dive.
  • teacherman
    :oops:

What's replacing the Pikes in RS range sonic? Are the revs getting more travel?
  • supersonic
    I've seen both 09 Pikes and Revs! They both will be 140mm travel max, but the Rev gets a lighter crown and uppers, and the new Maxle lite system. Pike designed for harder riding. Rev air only.
  • Have you thought of just getting the bombers serviced and saving a bunch of cash? Bombers are really good forks in the main and yours may just need a tweak to get the bet from them, and if that doesn't work at least you can sell them on a being recently serviced and recoup your cash that way.

don't just replace for the sake of it as it not always the best option.
  • K88 MUD
    Have you thought of just getting the bombers serviced and saving a bunch of cash? Bombers are really good forks in the main and yours may just need a tweak to get the bet from them, and if that doesn't work at least you can sell them on a being recently serviced and recoup your cash that way.

don't just replace for the sake of it as it not always the best option.

Maybe an option Dave..........just would have thought the seals etc would have lasted a little longer....... :?
  • K88 MUD
    Ok guys.............this may be a daft question but............ :oops:

I have seen a few sets of front shocks/forks with a 20mm axle..........does this mean i will need to re-hub my front wheel ?
  • supersonic
    Indeed it would, unless the hub is convertable.
  • K88 MUD
    supersonic wrote:
    Indeed it would, unless the hub is convertable.

That figures :? .........how do i tell if its convertable ?
  • supersonic
    Depends what hub ;-)

Very few are, most common is the Hope Pro2. I very much doubt yours is.
  • K88 MUD
    Your right..........there shimarno hubs and mavic rims :roll: ..........looks like more money to shell out.
  • supersonic
    The new 2009 Revelation 140mm fork can be got in QR.
  • K88 MUD
    Think i will get my forks overhauled as dave posted..........maybe i have a problem with the seals..........sell all my other bits off my bike first.
  • K88 MUD
    supersonic wrote:
    The new 2009 Revelation 140mm fork can be got in QR.

Cheers supersonic...............ive had a look at the Revelation 426 Coil U Turn ...........What is the U turn bit for/what does it do ?
  • supersonic
    U turn is an external dial which changes travel - 45mm on coil forks, 30mm on air forks.

All 2009 revelations are air though.
  • K88 MUD
    supersonic wrote:
    U turn is an external dial which changes travel - 45mm on coil forks, 30mm on air forks.

All 2009 revelations are air though.

Cheers for that.............what difference would the ride be from coil or air forks ??
  • supersonic
    Coils are generally smoother, cheaper but heavier, while air, while not as 'plush' is more easily adjustable to your weight.
  • K88 MUD
    supersonic wrote:
    Coils are generally smoother, cheaper but heavier, while air, while not as 'plush' is more easily adjustable to your weight.

Cheers...........What extra will the Revelation 426 give me over my Marzocchi Bomber MX's ??
  • supersonic
    More travel, lighter weight, stiffer structure, better damping, more adjustability. Quite a lot!
  • K88 MUD
    supersonic wrote:
    More travel, lighter weight, stiffer structure, better damping, more adjustability. Quite a lot!

Thanks...........just need to make sure i get my choice right before i spend more money on my bike :wink: