disc pads ?

acac
acac Posts: 348
edited August 2008 in MTB buying advice
hi whats the difference Sintered pads resin pads and the metal pads.
which has the best performance.
dont mind how long they last.
o i have the lx brakes with resin pads good power but dont seem to bit very well
thanks
play hard ride hard

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    sintered for wet muddy conditions. resin for dry.

Metal is sintered.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    You can use sintered (metal) pads all year round but resin (organic) pads dont last in wet gritty conditions so if you do a lot of wet or muddy miles go for sintered

Shimano sintered pads are much better than the shimano resin ones if you want to stick with shimano
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • acac
    are superstar or a2z brand any good for performance?
    thinking of giveing these a try
    play hard ride hard
  • glen4
    glen4 Posts: 250
    superstar are superb, esp. considering the price. I use them in my Avid Juicy 7s, and was paying £15 a set from my lbs, the superstars are £21 delivered for 4 sets off ebay, and work at least as well in my opinion
    2009 Cove Handjob
    2009 Cove Hummer
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    i have used the superstar pads in a similar brake to your lx ones and they are good, especially for the money. i have also used them on juicys and oros and found tham to be very good.

i also like ebc gold pads for good value/power/life

the best i have used are swissstop, pricey at 20 quid a set but last by far the longest and are very powerful
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    A lot of posers on bike forums loathe Superstar pads for some reason but amongst my bunch of riding buddies we reckon they last about two thirds as long as a top brand that costs 3 times as much you do the maths
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    I think that's pretty fair ^^, they're not as good as the OE pads but in terms of value for money they knock the OE pads into a cocked hat and still work fine. I'm about to order my next set of 4 pairs for £ 20 :D
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • timberjack
    timberjack Posts: 279
    i=the last thing i am is a poser but speaking from expeience i tried 2 set of superstar pads, the first set wore very quickly and the pad material came completely off on another set, i had a mate who had a similar problem, and another mate who's girlfrind had a problem with hers but he said they were cheap enough to put up with the odd faulty set so i guess its a case of you pay your money you take your choice, personally i find aztec pads the best
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Alu/Carbon, 2011
    Specialized Stumpjumper, 07
    Genisis Altitude 30, 09
    Giant XTC4, 04
  • acac
    i dont mind to much how long they last its how good they work and do what they should stop you quick when need too
    may be do some stoppies too lol
    play hard ride hard
  • acac
    o forgot to ask anyone used the a2z brand anygood ?
    play hard ride hard