Avid Juicy 4 RSL

soy_sauce
soy_sauce Posts: 987
edited October 2009 in MTB buying advice
hi,

does anyone know what the different in preformace between Juicy 3 SL and Juicy 4 RSL?

it seem like this is the one of the differences between the 08 and 09 model of the Specialized Rockhopper PRO Disc (apart from the 09 also has a lighter handler bar and different design of the frame) and there is £100 different in the bike price.

does it worth that extra £100?
"It is not impossible, its just improbable"

Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc 08

Comments

• Bikerbaboon
    Bikerbaboon Posts: 1,017
    £100 going from 08 to 09 does not look to bad fto me especialy if you consider the increasing costs of manufacture and transport and if hte spec it still roughtly the same its all good.
    Nothing in life can not be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas
  • soy_sauce
    soy_sauce Posts: 987
    £100 going from 08 to 09 does not look to bad fto me especialy if you consider the increasing costs of manufacture and transport and if hte spec it still roughtly the same its all good.

i am getting the 08 model in 2 weeks time for £765 (from £900), thanks for the local Halfords...yup, i do mean Halfords and I have not been drinking or anything :lol: . but just wondering what the different would be between the 08 and 09 model and wondering if the differences worth that extra £100. :)

can't find any review for the Juicy 4 RSL neither.. :?:
    "It is not impossible, its just improbable"

Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc 08
  • Sikora
    Sikora Posts: 519
    Seeing as the Juicy 5 isn't much different from the Juicy 3, i cant see the 4 being a million miles away - Not £100 difference anyway
  • I don't know of the difference, i just got a 2009 model specialized rockhopper expert and it has juicy 4's on it, i didnt realise avid even did 4, it doesnt say anywhere i found on the internet that the 4 even exists but i cant believe that the difference between the 3 and 4 will be much, definately not £100, i dont even think replacing 3's with the 7's would be worth £100
  • grumsta
    grumsta Posts: 994
    Sounds like maybe the Juicy 4 is just a rebranding of the OEM Juicy 3 SL that Avid did for specialized which is on my Pitch 08.
  • i have just picked up a 2009 rockhopper pro and i can notice straight away the difference between the 2008 (i know as i had a 2008 and 2007 pro) firstly the 2009 reba sl forks that are around £50 more than the 2008 reba sl's,the 2009 is definatly lighter and the most important thing (which is whAT THIS WHOLE TOPIC IS ABOUT) the juicy 4 rsl have a adjustment screw on the back next to the lever,which i think lets you adjust your lever .i dont know exactly what it adjusts on your lever,but i will in the next day or so,as i only picked up the bike tonight.last years juicy 3's are the year before's juicy 5's so i think these are prob the next model up from last years 5's.my 2008 stumpjumper comp had juicy 5's and there was no adjustment on the lever.so all in all 3 differences and a much better looking paint job compaired to last years pro,but they should have kept the rough touch hamertone paint finish from last year as it didnt scratch up that easy atall.....im not fussed about the £100 difference a i only payed £600 from a fella who just lost his job (i know it sounds bad) but a deals a deal ayy?? :roll:
  • grumsta
    Mine have a reach adjustment screw but you need an allen key.
  • i have juciy 4s and they squeal like a piggy, does my head in, any ideas folks they are decent stoppers though
    i spent all me money on whisky and beer!!!
  • pseymour
    pseymour Posts: 194
    I have a Rockhopper Expert 09 with Juicy 4 RSL and I can't any reference to them anywhere either. I noticed the user instructions supplied are for Juicy 3 or 5, so i'm guessing they are similar - but it does all seem a bit odd.
    Giant Anthem X3 2010.
  • grumsta
    My juicy 3 sls were the same as normal 3s apart from the metal lever off the 5s and a the g2 clean sweep rotors.
  • I had the Juicy 4 RSLs on my 09 Rockhopper Pro. They are Juicy 3s but made for Specialized with a lever reach adjustment knob so you can alter the lever reach without using an allen key. They break off very easily and can't be put back on (one of mine did). You can then still adjust the reach but need to use an allen key in the normal way.
  • cnb
    cnb Posts: 35
    I've just bought a rockhopper exp 2009 c/w avid juicy 4s . before buying it i tried to research the juicy4s and couldnt find out any grif about them at all,But the bikes great and the the brakes likewise,