5 bikes stolen from work in 2 weeks

OldSkoolKona
OldSkoolKona Posts: 655
edited August 2008 in Commuting chat
Beggars belief. A friend has just told me about his place of work in the London area, where there has been a spate of bike robberies. 2 stolen one week, and 3 the following week, all during the day, on a site that has several bicycle sheds (admittedly they weren't stolen from the one bike cage that has secure card swipe access), CCTV and 24 hour security on site. :shock:

If a car was stolen from the car park one week, and another the next, there would be outcry from management.. Makes you wonder what security on these sites do. Nothing of use picked up on CCTV, surprise surprise.. :evil:

Comments

• spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    POINT OF ORDER

what you describe are bike THEFTS not robberies.

A robbery involves the use or threat of force to steal item
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    OBJECTION
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    spen666 wrote:

I thought robbery was an adjective used to describe food by Chinese waiters.

"have the chicken - it is robbery"
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • whome
    whome Posts: 167
    Aha - you learn something...
    Training, highway design and increasing cycle numbers are important to safety. Helmets are just a red herring.
  • I stand corrected :oops:
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    Beggars belief. A friend has just told me about his place of work in the London area, where there has been a spate of bike robberies. 2 stolen one week, and 3 the following week, all during the day, on a site that has several bicycle sheds (admittedly they weren't stolen from the one bike cage that has secure card swipe access), CCTV and 24 hour security on site. :shock:

If a car was stolen from the car park one week, and another the next, there would be outcry from management.. Makes you wonder what security on these sites do. Nothing of use picked up on CCTV, surprise surprise.. :evil:

Its not unusual to have bike thefts and not have the security staff deal with it. One of the workers at my place had their bike nicked the otherday, trouble is we know that the area is a high crime area of sorts (vandalism, thefts, violence at times) and most cyclists there use good locks or the cycle cage.

There is alos no CCTV near the cycle facilities at my works too. I've seen young lads come riding up on their little bmxs checking the locks out. Atleast twice now I've made a point to walk towards them and they've cycled off.

And I think you're right, if a car was nicked there would be hell to pay.
  • My security guards at work are brilliant. There is a lamppost outside our front door to which they do their best to ensure that I can chain my bike every day, where they can keep an eye on it.

They cycle themselves, although not to work, and take a real interest.

:D
  • Yeah, its the security bit that gets me. Yup, you expect bicycle theft (note correct word for you legal eagles) to occur - sadly its a fact of life. But to have thefts one week, and then more the following week, thats pretty gutting

Most these bikes apparently had decent locks (for all that help with a determined thief) and the bike sheds are pretty visible across the site (ie not hidden round the back where the deliveries come in.)
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    I know some of the guys at my place will go and check on their bike from time to time. If theives see people coming and going all the time I wonder if it puts them off?