Where to ride this weekend (Somerset/South West/Wales)?

Moose.
Moose. Posts: 43
edited September 2008 in MTB rides
Living at the base of the Mendips in Somerset does give me access to some great trails but I'm wondering if anyone's got any suggestions of new places to go within an hour or so's drive from here.

Been to Cwm Carn loads and Afan a couple of times, and really enjoy riding man made trails with jumps, drops and table tops. So does anyone have any recommendations for places to go this weekend? I've heard rumours about down hill courses in the Forest of Dean but surely it's too flat round there?

All suggestions welcome :)

Comments

• I live in the forest of dean and i go with a couple of mates nearly every other day that we can. riding in the forest, it has every thing from down hill to fire roads to long climbs and muddy tracks and even every day family trails. we average about 20 mls every ride and we still get lost after over 2 years riding there.
    riding in a new place is like any thing,, if you dont try it yourself you will never know.
    nice new giant trance 3
    also ht coyote
    s-works epic 2008.
  • 1340jas
    1340jas Posts: 217
    I think Wentwood Forest has a few tracks and a down hill run.
    Its between Chepstow and Newport just off the A48. Theres a reservoir if that helps find it on a map, Near to a place called Llanvair Discoed.
    I don't think theres anything official but i found something on youtube.
    topo Posts: 3,104
    Wentwood has a downhill track yes.
    www.wentwooddownhill.co.uk

The track is very fast, and tryed to be kept natural.
    http://www.pinkbike.com/video/35396/
    also a new bottom section is currently being built.

Forest of dean has numerous downhill tracks. There fun and flowy but not very long. The top section has loads of tracks with an easy push up but none are that hard unless you go away from the obvious trails and start to go deeper into the forest for the hard trails.