Would a camera have helped?

That Petrol Emotion
edited August 2008 in Commuting chat
Hi everyone. Been reading with interest for a while and thought I'd join in the fun.

Last night, on my commute home (quiet country roads, country park, etc.) I had a real bad run in with a driver. I won't bore you with the details as there are plenty of tales of woe in other posts but suffice to say, the driver got out of his car and threatened me, first verbally and then although not physically, I could see he was carrying something small and sharp in his hand. Turns out he just wanted to belittle me into saying it was my fault because, and all it boiled down to was that, he was in a car and I was on a bike. I duly obliged and let him go on his way. My query though is this...

I have been thinking about getting one of those action cameras to attach to my bike/helmet for precisely this sort of incident. But for drivers with this type of mindset is it likely to defuse the situation or antagonize them even further if you either point out that you have such a device or they spot they are being captured on video? Any thoughts would be welcome. Thanks and look forward to being part of the gang.

Shaken but not stirred...

Comments

• ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    I doubt it would help, however if you have clear video footage of him threatening you either verbally or indeed with something sharp that includes his face and his numberplate you could always press charges of assualt (sp) whatever the correct term is.
  • AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393
    But for drivers with this type of mindset is it likely to defuse the situation or antagonize them even further if you either point out that you have such a device or they spot they are being captured on video?

Shaken but not stirred...

It's a good question , you don't tell them simple as that, if they spot it ... well, try not to come to a standstill.

If you got his number I would still report him, though the police will say without evidence there is little they can do.

Camera's are good ....... hmmmm kay ( south park reference ), I've just bought one and will spend the next week experimenting. :)
    Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    I wonder if camera's send the right image to other road users though. It does seem a bit self-righteous to go around film everyone who wrongs you and I fear it may only engender more hostility from drivers who already aren't hugely fond of cyclists.

I'd just like to make clear this isn't a jab at camera users, just something I've been pondering recently as I've been thinking of getting one for various things.
  • AndyManc
    It's not self-righteous .... it's self preservation , anyone that's had to ride home from work at pub closing time will definately know what I'm talking about.
    Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • karl j
    karl j Posts: 517
    I wonder if camera's send the right image to other road users though. It does seem a bit self-righteous to go around film everyone who wrongs you and I fear it may only engender more hostility from drivers who already aren't hugely fond of cyclists.

I'd just like to make clear this isn't a jab at camera users, just something I've been pondering recently as I've been thinking of getting one for various things.

+1

If i'm being totally honest the other thing that crosses my mind is whether or not it'd make me more likely to actively look for bad driving while i'm out, for the sole purpose of a dramatic entry on youtube. As far as i'm concerned there is enough of it crosses my path anyhow whitout looking for more.

just my 2p's worth
    Morning route (when i don't get the train)

Evening route ,
  • karl j
    And to answer the OP, well tbh i can't answer it. All i will say though is that i am glad it didn't go any further as it sounds like it quite possibly *could* have gotten much nastier for you. And i believe you did the right thing in letting him think he had the upper hand.

Evening route ,
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Easier and cheaper to tear him a new asshole.

Or did he have a camera watching you?! CCTV, helmet cams, car cams, motorbike cams, bus cams....lets all watch each other and bemoan each other when we, perceivably, do something "wrong".
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    gtvlusso wrote:
    Easier and cheaper to tear him a new asshole.

Or did he have a camera watching you?! CCTV, helmet cams, car cams, motorbike cams, bus cams....lets all watch each other and bemoan each other when we, perceivably, do something "wrong".

real good attitude, nothing like a bit of us and them is there.

spoken like a true rlj'er " :wink: "
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686

TBH I got mine because for a while I was sure someone would have had me off and I'd be left without being able to tell someone what happened, or I'd get the blame. I went through about 3 weeks of constant abuse on the roads, shouters and mouthers, close cutters and left hooks, you name it. It was a significant amount of dodgy driving for me to beleive it worth while.

I certainly dont go "OI! You're on camera!" even as much as I've been tempted to its not worth it. I dont even draw attention to it, even if its on the helmet. As far as they know I'm just filming my commute/ride for my own entertainment. Weirdly though, some people seem to have noticed the camera and steered clear almost as if its a deterrant.

To the OP. If you have their license plate report it to the police, could be this is a nasty peice of work. Ordinary people, if your story is true, dont get out of their car and threaten physical violence, they just get mouthy and drive off in my experience
  • karl j
    downfader wrote:
    [To the OP. If you have their license plate report it to the police, could be this is a nasty peice of work. Ordinary people, if your story is true, dont get out of their car and threaten physical violence, they just get mouthy and drive off in my experience

+1

Evening route ,
  • downfader
    karl j wrote:
    downfader wrote:
    [To the OP. If you have their license plate report it to the police, could be this is a nasty peice of work. Ordinary people, if your story is true, dont get out of their car and threaten physical violence, they just get mouthy and drive off in my experience

+1

There has only been one time I know personally when a guy got out and it happened to my brother. From his body language my brother knew he was just being shouty and told the guy off (he was staying behind the car door). Said guy got back in the car (and he wasnt even the driver, he was a passenger, LOL) :roll:
  • If I had a camera it would prove it! :D

In 30 years of cycling, and plenty of 'incidents', I've never had anybody get out of the car either, until this guy. I think the people in this country are getting less tolerant by the year and the smallest thing now (especially behind the wheel) seems to tip them over the edge.

The 'funny' thing was that the original issue that caused the head-to-head wasn't even that serious. He just wanted to vent some anger and I was an easy target. I probably saved his missus from getting lumped (or worse) when he got home....

Anyway, thanks for the responses. I got his license plate details and hope he was just a visitor to these parts as I'm not altering my commute route for his benefit...

Safe cycling...
  • downfader
    Hi again 'Petrol. :)

I think you're right about less tolerance towards cyclists (what is there to tolerate, come to think of it). There is a certain fraction of the community down here who would treat you like your a paedo for godsakes. I have heard the conversations and read the webpostings of the locals here and some of it isnt pretty, I do console myself with the thought that the majority of the motorists are fine.

With fuel prices set to increase I think we're the easy target for scapegoating. Everyone knows those oil barons ride around on pushbikes lauding it over the peasants in the cars. :lol:

BTW if anyone is in ths situation and feels uncomfortable with calling the police, or just thinks it will unecessarily tie up there time (yes, I know there are people like that, lol) then there is the crime stoppers website.
  • Mithras
    Mithras Posts: 428
    The Police are using personal cameras these days. If it's good enough evidence for us then it's good enough for you. However if things get physical I would not advise mentioning the camera as you may get more of a beating and have the camera knicked or damaged. OK that ups the anti from an assault to Robbery but we just don't want to go there. If you do have evidence of a criminal act then report it. Don't go down the route of "Well they (police) won't do anything anyway". If you don't try then you won't get....just keep badgering them.
    :roll:
    The other useful reason for having cameras is plain evidence gathering. You could catch something on the camera that may be of use to the police. All local officers need to know where privately kept CCTV is. SO if you commute a regular route. Drop an e-mail to the local NPT officers and just let them know that you pass certain locations at certain times. One day they may be very greatful.
    I can afford to talk softly!....................I carry a big stick!
  • AndyManc
    Here's another reason to get a camera .... one of many incidents where I live .

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/s/1064798_police_probe_car_attack_on_cyclist
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • downfader
    AndyManc wrote:
    Here's another reason to get a camera .... one of many incidents where I live .

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/s/1064798_police_probe_car_attack_on_cyclist

Hmm, not defending the driver but makes me wonder if the driver intended to scare his victim rather than drive into him. :? We have planks that do that here from time to time (actually has calmed down a lot lately, I presume said prats have matured a little or been caught)

Poor guy though. :(